Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can’t Seem To Get My 3.1.1d Hughes HDVR2 Working… Any Ideas?

Cool Can’t Seem To Get My 3.1.1d Hughes HDVR2 Working… Any Ideas?

Hello All,

I have a virgin Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV Series 2 Tivo running 3.1.1d image the receiver downloaded.

I have followed the following guide by “Mike Cobelli”:
    http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=HDV...PLETEHDVR2.doc

I can get the image of my drive onto a new bigger 120GB drive with no problem. The problem exists when I try copy the 3.1.U5 to my “3.1.1d” image. After that step, my Hughes HDVR2 just reboots itself.

Is my “3.1.1d” image just not compatible with the 3.1.U5 Kernel? Is there a better instruction or more up to date instruction guide that I should use instead of the one above?

My goal is to:

1. Upgrade to a bigger HD (Done)
    2. Allow for remote access of my Tivo via the network and TivoWeb
    3. Offload Tivo Programming to my PC

All of these goal are covered in the “Mike Cobelli” document, but like I said I can not get past step #26

Thanks for any help or pointers in the right direction,
    Jean-Marie
    jean@vaneskahian.com
    Jean-Marie
    DirecTV Tivo Hughes HDVR2

I was reading that two, and noticed your post. If you look between steps 11 and 12, there are a few words of wisdom explaining that you have to back track your software to version 3.1.0, wich means you have to follow steps 12 and up to do that. Does anyone know of an updated kernal that works with 3.1.1.x yet? And what are the differences between 3.1.0 and 3.1.1?
    Go bucs, ARGH MATEES!

How Do You Get The 3.1.0 Image?

I am confused. You are correct in that he says that he is using a 3.1.0 Image. Where do you get it now? I assume if I applied the new Kernel 3.1U5 to 3.1.0 Image it would work, but I do not have a 3.1.0 Image.

Jean-Marie
    Jean-Marie

You can't run the 3.1U5 kernal with the 3.1.1d software.

That is a pretty out-dated guide (notice the software version that it claims is "current"). I would highly recommend using the new killhdinitrd method to hack your HDVR2. You basically have two choices. Keep your software somewhat "stock" on 3.1.1c/d OR go for the gold and upgrade to 4.01b and get all of the goodies that come with the 4 software versions like HMO, MRV, & folders. I chose the later. The hacking is slightly simplier if you stay with 3.1.1 software and kernals. You basically just use killhdinitrd to "clean" your kernal in place and then proceed with the rest of the hacking. You don't need any of the BASH_ENV stuff that is used in that outdated guide. If you chose to go with 4.XX software, you will need to boot a 3.XX kernal and then "monte" into the 4.XX kernal.

I haven't seen any guides that really walk you through the newer methods of hacking (killhdinitrd) from start to finish like the guide you were trying to use. Once you get the killinitrd stuff working, the rest of that guide pretty much still applies to the rest of the hacking, just make sure you get the latest version of all of the hacks.

I would highly recommend going right to 4.01b if you feel up to it. It's not that much harder and you achive a lot of benefits. This thread has pretty good info on it http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37570

Good luck.

I looked around and couldn't find the 4.0.1b image. You know where I can get it?
    Go bucs, ARGH MATEES!

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchTV
    You can't run the 3.1U5 kernal with the 3.1.1d software.

That is a pretty out-dated guide
    Good post, TooMuchTV. Not only is that guide outdated (as most are), some of the software in s2dtivo_files.zip is corrupted.

Just to clarify, you can 'run' a 3.1.u5 kernel with 3.1.1d, BUT it would be to monte... and you can monte with any killhdinitrd supported kernel.

If you don't need to monte... any killhdinitrd supported kernel will boot, most use 3.1.1c, and not check for changed/hacked directories or files. Do likewise and you'll be good to go.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 10-21-2004 at 02:30 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Thanks a million guys! So all I need to do is find a 3.1.1c Kernel and run killhdinitrd against it. From that point forward I should be set then... right?
    Jean-Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Marie
    Thanks a million guys! So all I need to do is find a 3.1.1c Kernel and run killhdinitrd against it. From that point forward I should be set then... right?
    A good place to look for that kernel is in the files section...

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

just to clear things up, doing this upgrade and the monte and all will not erase my recordings, right? And after this, will I still need hacks to unencrypt my files?

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchTV
    I haven't seen any guides that really walk you through the newer methods of hacking (killhdinitrd) from start to finish like the guide you were trying to use.
    I wish there was!

Thanks for post TooMuchTV.
    I have the same HDVR2 w/ 3.1.1d, and came across this post, when I found that the "Sleeper ISO" was not the best way to upgrade, and that I should use the killhdinitrd.
    Now I am just reading, and learning to make sure I do it correctly

Quote Originally Posted by purefusion
    just to clear things up, doing this upgrade and the monte and all will not erase my recordings, right? And after this, will I still need hacks to unencrypt my files?
    I would like the answer to this as well, as the wife would shoot me, if I lost our Playing List

Quote Originally Posted by snook789
    I would like the answer to this as well, as the wife would shoot me, if I lost our Playing List
    Well, there are probably many people on these boards that could upgrade their DTivo without losing recordings, but I'm pretty new to this and I'm not one of them. I think a lot of it depends on how you go about it. I 'believe' that if you are currently on 3.1.1d and you stay in that same family i.e. 3.1.1c all should be fine with your recordings. I also 'believe' that going to 4.X software may have too many MFS differences for your stuff to survive.

Hack a spare drive and not the one with all of your recordings. Once you get everything working on it, back it up with MFS_Tools and then try to dd your recordings from the old drive to the new one. If things go wrong you should be able to restore your spare back to a working state.

Honestly, if you are worried about your wife killing you you probably shouldn't be hacking your Tivo because at some point you WILL turn it into a boat anchor

Quote Originally Posted by purefusion
    My previous post only answered half of this question, so here's the other half:

Yes, you will need many more hacks to achive everything you want. The killhdinitrd+monte will only get you a working Tivo running that is capable of being hacked. You will still want to enable networking, serial port access, telnet, ftp, MFS_FTP, run patch to disable encryption, install misc. linux utilities (busybox), and TivoWebPlus.

30 So what's what?

I appologize in advance. I don't want to be anal, but the only thing I've done to my tivo was upgrade to drive size to 120GB. I now want to get it networking obviously, which means I have to monte the kernel (and I have downloaded 3.1.1c which I have gathered that I can monte from 3.1.1d, correct?) and then I have to killhdinitrd kernel 3.1.1c (but not 3.1.1d?). I have a Netgear FA120 sitting aside to network.

My question then is where do I get the monte, and how do I do it?

I'm not so familiar with text based OS's like linux, unfortunately. So this is definately new to me, but you guys make it sound like all those step by step instructions are outdated, so of course I want only the newest! Well, I think 3.1.1c would be fine for me. I want to keep my recordings if at all possible. I still have my orig Tivo 40GB disk, but I don't want to mess with that.

So mainly, I go to the monte/monte evolution threads, and I only see them talk about it, but never actually do it. Am I missing anything?

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Wait, do I not need to monte with 3.1.1c? Which means I'd only need to overwrite the 3.1.1d kernel with 3.1.1c, correct? Then killhdinitrd it (which I still don't know how to do), then add hacks (also don't know how yet). But that's all I have to do, right? Or am I still missing something?
    Last edited by purefusion; 10-23-2004 at 12:10 AM.

Purefusion, monte is not a necessity anymore. It is an option. From what I gather the biggest need for the monte is for an LBA48 kernel. There may be other reasons I am not aware of. Since you have a 120 gig drive you don't need it.

One note of mention. The guides that are around are out dated but the commands are the same. I still use them because I am still a noob. The big thing is you need to know what they do so you can adapt. That is why I like cobelli's guide. It does a lot of explanation not just commands. I have had it up most of the week hacking my new tivo and upgrading the software on my old one and removing the monte I have been running on it.

Anyhow, if you have the 3.1.1d software you will need 3.1.1c kernel. It looks like you have that. You will put the kernel on your fat 32 drive and run killhdinitrd on the kernel. Do a dd of your original kernel so you have a copy of it then dd the kernel you ran killhdinitrd on back on the drive. Basicly all that is left is to create a rc.sysinit.author to put your commands in. You may need a different driver for your usb adapter depending on which one you have.

After that you should be ready to add as many hacks as you please. If you plan to extract you will need to modify your tivoapp. I believe alphawolf was the originator of the thread with the instructions.

I hope this helps.

You edited while I was posting. Read the readme in the killhdinitrd file.
    Last edited by SemperFi; 10-23-2004 at 12:25 AM.

Yes, thanks.

I thought it might be similar, but I still thought I'd have to do a monte, that's why I got confused. Things are coming together for me now. One more thing: the fat 32 drive called for in cobelli's guide is just to put files on temporarily from the CD? That's the one thing I didn't understand in his guide... if you take out mfstools2 CD, can linux still run in the background?