Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Updating the Sleeper ISO

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    it's a fancy vcr. the only critical functions are record & playback. tivo cust svc allready supports that. anything else is a hobbyist contribution

then you can prove you didn't sleep though Assembly 101 & be a huge hero to the clueless hordes *yawn

whining & annoying the folks posting usefull stuff is obviously the best thing to do until then
    Just like your doing know.
    If your one of the "folks posting usefull stuff" please identify the post number in this thread where YOU have made your "usefull" contribution.
    Yeah I probably will be a hero on that day, especially when I make the info public with no strings attached.

well lets see, I've partially explained why things are the way they are, how they got there and how to avoid making it worse

obviously I need to go get a masters in teaching remedial / special needs courses if you can't see that

Cool Missing the point....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    Just like your doing know.
    If your one of the "folks posting usefull stuff" please identify the post number in this thread where YOU have made your "usefull" contribution.
    Yeah I probably will be a hero on that day, especially when I make the info public with no strings attached.
    My goodness, is it just me or does somebody need to have their mommy tuck them in for a nap? Seems more than a few members are getting a bit cranky!

Look, I may be just a 'Dumb-a.. Newbie', but at least I understand the difference between a Tivo Enthusiast (someone who enjoys USING their Tivo) and a Tivo Hobbyist (someone who enjoys learning about, altering the functionality of, and promoting the knowledgebase of the Tivo).

It seems pretty clear to me that this board was set up and continues to be dedicated to the promotion of THE HOBBY!!! Hello??!!

I first discovered this board as a result of my desire to get my DTivo HDVR2 on my home network for extraction purposes, and as such was looking for a quick and easy 'Out-of-the-box' solution. That isn't what I found, and for one I'm grateful.

What I did find was an environment that teaked my curiosity to the point where I became intreagued by the possibility of possibly learning enough that I can eventually develope some code of my own, thereby truely contributing to the spirit of this community.

For all of you who seem bent on convincing those individuals who truely embrace the spirit of what this board is intended to provide, that it should be something else (ie. a Tivo USER forum), I say get over it, relax a bit and you may find there is more here than yourealized. You may even get something out of it!

or maybee not, just a thought.

I don't know why Xbox keeps coming up, but wrt the modchips, an eprom pulled from an old PC, flashed with evox and wired point to point to the mainboard works just as well as the fancy schmancy Executor chips w/lcd readouts etc. etc. This only serves to prove my point. The original exploit still works and groups of so called "developers" jumped on the backs of guys like Bunnie who thought the whole thing up. Now all they do is add bells, whistles, LCD readouts and crap like that and tout the old work as deprecated. They are making money he is not. Does he care? I doubt it since he is an MIT grad and doesn't need to worry about someone making $20 off his work. Now all they do is add bells, whistles, LCD readouts and crap like that and tout the old work as deprecated. Sound familiar?

I know what's possible, the question is what is REALLY necessary.
    The answer:Bash & extraction.
    Since no one (except the inner circle) is aware of what's so important (since I only know what developers want me to know) could you please enlighten me on what high profile hacks still need to be done.
    youre exactly right. and you prove my point by stating as such. yeah, the same basic modchip stuff that worked originally still works. that doesnt mean development should stop. you make a broad statement about deprecation...well, yeah, the original 29 wire modchips have been deprecated essentially, since basically all modchips these days are LPC based.

In the end, yeah, as has been stated, anything we do is bells and whistles. in reality, bash is useless to most, so why are you even mentioning it. in reality, the only feature that is worthwhile from what you are saying is extraction. well, good for you. but there are lots of other hacks that, while you dont see any point, many find very useful. things like tivoweb, callerid, etc.

the point is that this is a hobbiest board, just like the xbox scene is a hobbiest community. innovation is driven by people saying things like "hey, wouldnt it be neat if <insert random feature here>". Just because you see no use in the feature doesnt mena the development is meaningless.

in short, I have to agree with ADH's sentiment - its clear that you have your tivo hacked with bash and extraction enabled, so why are you still here? go ahead and enjoy that tivo, your xbox with a basic 29 wire modchip, and probably your 44 wire install of a neo modchip in a ps2 since its "good enough". we will continue to explore the tivo, because thats why we are here.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

it makes the situation worse because now the average user with a problem only learned enough to hit enter 17 times instead of spending 3 hours with a good howto

if you understand the steps in the howto you can fix your own problems, or refer back to it. no lost-in-googlehits search required unless it's a bad howto (and that's another sore point, search for cobelli)
    Okay, where is this 3 hour how-to? I am NOT against learning what I need to learn. However, if we were all freaking geniuses, we'd do everything ourselves and would have no need for help from anyone else as we'd be programming ALL of our own hacks.

I've spent WELL over 3 hours trying to learn this stuff and so far, Sleeper's ISO is the only thing that's gotten me running. When I screwed something up, I came here for help, and ended up having to RE-sleeper it.

well lets see, I've partially explained why things are the way they are, how they got there and how to avoid making it worse

obviously I need to go get a masters in teaching remedial / special needs courses if you can't see that

oy... I just think it's funny that none of his fanboys are willing/capable
    Your version/rants of what happened can hardly be considered "usefull contributions" any more than mine are.
    Pot meet kettle.

Want to challenge me to see if I can come up with a non infringing killinitrd hack?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    Okay, where is this 3 hour how-to?
    just an example, that's about what I spent back when I first got started. course, my back & 3 ribs were broken and I was heavily medicated so that may have slowed things down

plenty of guides, I couldn't begin to guess which one's best suited to your current level of understanding. Von Hagen's book "Hacking the Tivo" covers the basics

Your version/rants of what happened can hardly be considered "usefull contributions" any more than mine are.
    Pot meet kettle.

Want to challenge me to see if I can come up with a non infringing killinitrd hack?
    well, since you haven't contributed anything usefull or been in on any of the behind the scenes stuff, yah, I'd say my take on things is a lil more valid

as for copying killhdinitrd? are you really that desperate for attention? *ouch

wanna do something usefull and maybe earn some respect from folks that don't have to remove thier shoes to count past 10? find a sw exploit for the new humax proms

Okay, where is this 3 hour how-to? I am NOT against learning what I need to learn. However, if we were all freaking geniuses, we'd do everything ourselves and would have no need for help from anyone else as we'd be programming ALL of our own hacks.
    hmmm, lets see, here are a few guides:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ighlight=guide

well, thats a list of a number of guides, which give information on using a variety of hack methods.

Again, your implication is that you have to be just short of a rocket scientist to hack your tivo. this is simply not the case, and it is not somehting we are trying for. however, as with any true hobbiest community, we expect people to help themselves, help each other, respect each other, and learn. if you cant abide by those things, then enjoy your stock tivo.

Nobody is asking everyone to be a developer. however, there has to be a certain expectation of knowledge and a willingness to troubleshoot and fix things yourself based on available information. its unfortunate if you cant see the difference between those two.

I've spent WELL over 3 hours trying to learn this stuff and so far, Sleeper's ISO is the only thing that's gotten me running. When I screwed something up, I came here for help, and ended up having to RE-sleeper it.
    so you used the tivoscripts iso, and when things got screwed up, you didnt have any ability to fix it, so you just wiped the drive and re-imaged. that doesnt seem like you have learned a lot by using that tool, now does it. if you had an understanding of what was going on, you might have been able to salvage your install, or at least know what you did wrong so you wouldnt do it again.

I know what's possible, the question is what is REALLY necessary.
    The answer:Bash & extraction.
    oh yeah - based on this sort of post, there clearly is no need for any hack beyond the original kmem method for disabling scrambling, even though the NoCSO method lets you watch old shows while letting new shows record unscrambled? do you feel that the deprecation of kmem is also unfair?

are you still stuck on 3.1.u5 because you are using a pure bash_env hack? clearly since that worked for the non-rid s2 directivos and the sa s2 units (other than dvd or nightlight units), there is no need for anything else

Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    Nobody is asking everyone to be a developer. however, there has to be a certain expectation of knowledge and a willingness to troubleshoot and fix things yourself based on available information. its unfortunate if you cant see the difference between those two.

so you used the tivoscripts iso, and when things got screwed up, you didnt have any ability to fix it, so you just wiped the drive and re-imaged. that doesnt seem like you have learned a lot by using that tool, now does it. if you had an understanding of what was going on, you might have been able to salvage your install, or at least know what you did wrong so you wouldnt do it again.
    Okay, here goes... I learn as I go. That's how I do it. That's MY method. We all have methods that work and don't work. Web-based training doesn't work for me. Instructor led training doesn't do much for me either. I can bury my head in a series of books and come out with great knowledge. However, until I can apply that knowledge, it has a very short-lived usefulness.

I used Tivoscripts, yes. When things got screwed up, *I* screwed them up. I posted what I'd done and asked for help. I think what I did was to upload the rc.sysinit.author file and not make it -x. So, none of the goodies (such as networking) worked. I took the drive out and booted to Linux and tried to mount the Tivo drive. I failed. I came on here and explained what I'd done and asked for help to mount the drive. I didn't get that help. I got told to go learn Linux and come back. To which I politely decided that I could either spend a few days trying to figure it all out or I could re-brick and be done with it. Since it's the Tivo my 2-year old gets "her" shows on, I decided to rebrick. This is AFTER I'd accepted the advice to hack it myself. I had a 120g drive in my PC that I've used MFStools on to backup the orig and expand. It's still a work in progress and will be -- until it no longer is. Then the 80gig TivoScripted one comes out and becomes the unit to hack the second Tivo unit on. At that point, I'll have a 40g and 80g "original" pair that sit on the shelf waiting for my next adventure.

Give a man a fish and he eats today, teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life. In that analogy, if it's a 3 month "teaching" session, you gotta feed the guy along the way or you're going to have a dead pupil.

The fact that I haven't run away should tell y'all something (and it AIN'T that I like getting kicked in the nads).

For JJ's peace of mind...

(Off Topic):
    FYI...

Duell never actually said that thing about there being "nothing left to invent"... no one did. Just thought you might want to know.

A simple google search would have produced this link.

--Timo
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    oh yeah - based on this sort of post, there clearly is no need for any hack beyond the original kmem method for disabling scrambling, even though the NoCSO method lets you watch old shows while letting new shows record unscrambled? do you feel that the deprecation of kmem is also unfair?

are you still stuck on 3.1.u5 because you are using a pure bash_env hack? clearly since that worked for the non-rid s2 directivos and the sa s2 units (other than dvd or nightlight units), there is no need for anything else
    Riley,
    I not saying that the Sleeper ISO is not deprecated.
    I not saying there is NOTHING left to do or there are NO improvements to make.
    I AM saying that MOST visitors here just want to get extraction up and running. Currently, that's a done deal.
    I AM saying that a script that automates a tedious and time consuming process is not a bad thing. Thats why scripting languages exist.

If the shoe fits,
    Just keep on slapping yourselves on the back telling each other how great you are and how stupid the rest of the world is.
    Tell us only what you feel we should know.
    Tell us we would have nothing if it werent for you.
    Tell us you like newbies but hate thier questions.
    Tell us you don't mind script tools and then restrict the use of your work to prevent them.
    Tell us heros stole your code when in fact you are standing on the backs of giants yourselves.
    Tell us that Sleeper is free to "fix" his ISO and then say that any such post will be deleted.
    Tell us that Sleeper ISO "destroyed" units and is buggy while THOUSANDS have used it sucessfully.
    Tell us to stop spending so much time in the sewer and get back to hacking, then post 90% of the sewer posts yourselves.
    Tell us that "demand" is not a factor than race other (non inner circle) developers to be the first with a new "high demand" hack, if they get anywhere, use your mod power to silence the "trivial" accomplishment.
    Tell us we don't need another ISO because it generates too many support problems than field hundreds of questions on how to use killinitrd.
    Tell us that profiteering is ruining the hobby than demand $$$ to release your latest hacks.

The messages are clear:
    Any which way the wind blows.
    We want you to learn, but not more than us!
    Last edited by Tiros; 10-29-2004 at 02:50 PM.

I AM saying that a script that automates a tedious and time consuming process is not a bad thing. Thats why scripting languages exist.
    Scripts are fine, as long as you respect Rule #4. This rule is highly unlikely to affect any meaningful development project.

The messages are clear:
    Any which way the wind blows.
    We want you to learn, but not more than us!
    Great conclusion, but it is entirely unsupported by any of the other assertions in your post. You really have a knack for repeating things that you can't back up.