Thread: Installing 4.0.1b on my dtivo

Installing 4.0.1b on my dtivo

Ok so right now my dtivo is running 3.1.1c with all the hacks installed by the sleeper iso. I want to enable the hmo on it, so as far as i can tell i need to upgrade to 4.0.1b.

Now for my question:

I have an unhacked SA tivo running 4.0.1b. Can I use the sleeper iso to make an image of that drive and write the image to my dtivo? I believe I've read that SA images can be installed fine on dtivo's, but I wanted to make sure, because it dawned on me this morning.

If I put a SA image on a dtivo, where will the unit get all that directv code that it loads on startup where it grabs information from the satellite, and how will I run the satellite setup, and will it still support both tuners?

All these questions came flooding in this morning, and before I go trying to write the image to the drive in the dtivo, I'd love to have some answers.

Thanks guys, this forum has been a wealth of information for me thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by berfsicle
    Ok so right now my dtivo is running 3.1.1c with all the hacks installed by the sleeper iso. I want to enable the hmo on it, so as far as i can tell i need to upgrade to 4.0.1b.

Now for my question:

I have an unhacked SA tivo running 4.0.1b. Can I use the sleeper iso to make an image of that drive and write the image to my dtivo? I believe I've read that SA images can be installed fine on dtivo's, but I wanted to make sure, because it dawned on me this morning.

If I put a SA image on a dtivo, where will the unit get all that directv code that it loads on startup where it grabs information from the satellite, and how will I run the satellite setup, and will it still support both tuners?

All these questions came flooding in this morning, and before I go trying to write the image to the drive in the dtivo, I'd love to have some answers.

A better approach would be to use Sleeper's Knoppix-Lite cd or a MFS Tools cd and increase the settings to back up all file system IDs below 9999. The default in TiVoScripts has been reported to miss some.

When you put the drive in your DirecTiVo, running Clear and Delete Everything will cause it to reinitialize and adjust to the new hardware. 51killer MIGHT also do this.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    A better approach would be to use Sleeper's Knoppix-Lite cd or a MFS Tools cd and increase the settings to back up all file system IDs below 9999. The default in TiVoScripts has been reported to miss some.

When you put the drive in your DirecTiVo, running Clear and Delete Everything will cause it to reinitialize and adjust to the new hardware. 51killer MIGHT also do this.

PlainBill
    i downloaded that knoppix cd, but i dont know if theres some error on it starting up in my machine or what, because it doesnt seem to do anything, it gives me some error about only one processor being found, then it moves on from that a minute later, spits out some bootup stuff, and settles at root@knoppix:/#

and its like it doesnt accept any commands (even dir does nothing)...granted i know linux about as much as i know the meaning of life, but i would think this cd would have initiated some sort of script

Maybe reading this thread?

I was going to start a thread, but I am trying to do exactly the same thing with my HDVR2, so I'll post my question here. I successfully hacked the 3.1.1c version a couple of weeks ago and upgraded to a 120gig disk, but now I want 4.0 to be able to run HMO.

I acquired a 4.0.1b backup image and used mfsrestore to copy it to a spare 40gig drive. I was able to boot this drive in the tivo, and go through the setup. I applied the HMO superpatch to it, and was able to see photos that are on a HMO server. So far, so good...

Next I tried to upgrade the 120gig drive to 4.0 and that's where the problems started. The active partitions on it were 6/7, so I copied the kernel and root partitions from the 40gig drive to 3/4 using dd, and flipped the active partitions using bootpage. When the 120gig drive booted in the tivo, a message came up saying that it was converting the database (I didn't write down the exact wording). After doing this for a while, the tivo went into an endless cycle of rebooting.

I wasn't watching the serial output at first, so I may have missed an error that originally caused the problem, but here's what I see towards the end of what appears to be a successful boot:

Helper Thread 199 (for 195) waking up
    ApgManager Transition from state INIT to ACQUIRE_MARKER
    ProcessRemoteFilterChanged db=0 cur=0
    ProcessRemoteFilterChanged db=0 cur=0
    /silicon/lib/sialpha/SiDateFormatStringDocument.brf: error loading document (30001).
    /silicon/lib/silicon/SiDefaultsDocument.brf: error loading document (30001).
    Illegal read at 00000090
    do_page_fault #2: sending signal 11 to SiHost(204)
    I can't find any .brf files in any of the ext2 filesystems on the drive that works, so I'm guessing these are objects in the tivo database that it can't find. I tried flipping the boot partitions back to the 3.1 version and that won't work any more either. I'm sure the database is hosed.

Obviously, I can do a clean restore of 4.0 onto my 120gig drive, but I was hoping to not lose my recordings.

Can a 3.x tivo be converted to 4.x without losing the database?
    Is there any way to reconstruct the database to preserve existing recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by jbuehl
    Can a 3.x tivo be converted to 4.x without losing the database?
    Is there any way to reconstruct the database to preserve existing recordings?
    Some of the elders have indicated it's possible. They've indicated you are on the right track - some loopsets? are missing. I've never suceeded, but I already know I'm not as smart as the elders.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Some of the elders have indicated it's possible.

PlainBill
    I'm thinking that I might be able to restore the database from a backup. Which partition is it in? I don't see anything that looks likely in /var, so maybe it's in one of the mfs partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by berfsicle

Now for my question:

The first question you need to answer is what model is your dtivo?

A rid unit will not take the 4.X at all (well with the "public" tools).
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

Quote Originally Posted by jbuehl
    I'm thinking that I might be able to restore the database from a backup. Which partition is it in? I don't see anything that looks likely in /var, so maybe it's in one of the mfs partitions.
    As far as I know, the MFS partitions ARE the database.

PlainBill

I have three S1 DSR6000 Dtivo's running 2.5 and decided to jump into the S2 ring. I have a Phillips DSR7000. I've been reading about loading 4.0.1b on s2 Dtivos- DSR7000. Reading for almost 3 weeks now. I've tried to using Series 2 DIY (no scripts/ISOs) killhdinitrd walkthrough http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37965. using a killhdinitrd 4.0 kernel. Boots OK, just no serial bash. When I use sleepers cd I do get serial bash outputs as the system boots, but the system crashes. I thought I could get the system up to add the remaining hacks. What am I missing?

cognac

Boots OK, just no serial bash. When I use sleepers cd I do get serial bash outputs as the system boots, but the system crashes. I thought I could get the system up to add the remaining hacks. What am I missing?
    Bash doesn't start up by default, even on the serial. You need to tell it to, preferably in your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file. Sleeper will set this up for you, but if you're doing it yourself, you need to set it manually. The line is:

Code:
    /bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&
    If you have a sleeper setup somewhere, you could just copy the rc.sysinit.author out of it, though there's also a lot of junk you probably want to trim.

As to the OP, if the question hasn't been answered: I successfully restored a 4.0.1 kernel onto my DSR7000, and it works fine.

Thanks, did that not working. It was in the process I linked to.