Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 4.x on RID discussion, opinions and rants

Quote Originally Posted by DocTauri
    Riley, would this load work on older S2 DTivo's (i.e. HDVR2) as well? How about HDTivo?

Thanks,
    Doc
    this stuff wont provide HMO for HDTiVo units. 4.x has no support for a great number of the HDTiVo things, such as hi def resolution changing, HDMI, etc.

As for non-RID s2 units...well, the only point I can think would be for the lba48 kernel. Yes, since it includes an lba48 kernel, that kernel should work just fine on non-RID units.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    As for non-RID s2 units...well, the only point I can think would be for the lba48 kernel.
    Since this feature is is posted on the forums, why would you pay for it?
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

Sleeper was one of Woody's best performances.

Sleeper (Miles Monroe)

Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman
    Has anyone thought that maybe the reason we can't find any solutions is because we can never stay on topic?

Tiros: I hear what your saying but again, either help develop, reach into your pocket to contribute, or stay quiet. It's frustrating having to sift through the garbage that some of your responses elicit to learn where everyone is with their efforts.

Woody: Don't fall into the trap, "Carry a big stick, and walk softly"

Everyone else, regardless of your opinion on the bounty, there is always a choice. Instead of bitching and complaining about the choices currently offered, start or contribute to a thread that discusses a matter that interests you. As for those who may not have the time or abilities to develop but can spare a box, set up your RID tivo with a 4.x image and hard code internet and telnet/ssh access to it. That way any developer without, too cheap, or no need for an extra RID box can have access to one to develop with.

Feel free to start a thread/msg me if you'd like to be part of the solution, or continue to act like children and be part of the problem.
    You reading the wrong thread. Try this one instead:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31267
    This thread is merely a spin off from Rileys money grubbing thread. Any post that detracts from the "contribution" focus ends up here. There has been some progress, I and several other people are looking at the problem. It's only a matter of time.
    Last edited by Tiros; 11-03-2004 at 10:05 PM.
    Si me rogas, potes abire et tu ipse cacare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    This thread is merely a spin off from Rileys money grubbing thread.
    Is there a reason you keep referring to Riley's generousity in a negative way?

Do you think it's somehow rewarding for him to orchestrate such a thing when there's nothing in it for him personally?

You are wearing on me.

I need to review what purpose you serve here.

You reading the wrong thread. Try this one instead:
    This thread is merely a spin off from Rileys money grubbing thread. Any post that detracts from the "contribution" focus ends up here. There has been some progress, I and several other people are looking at the problem. It's only a matter of time.
    If by "progress" you mean "brick walls," you are correct.

The deadline looms; better speed up your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by tytyty
    and it was just getting intersting - been verifying the transparent lba48 install & capacity expansion scripts to let you use the rest of a 160/200 that's been stuck at the 137 gig boundry - don't even need to pull the drive
    That's enough for me - as well as verifying that it's a working kernel so I dont' have to stress over mfs corruption. The 'building a s2 kernel' thread doesn't have a clear indication of which kernel is the good one to use, so it's a little bit like russian roulette with your recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by tytyty
    I never said anyone would pay for it, or that it was somehow unavailable. I was simply indicating that the only reason to use the stuff from this bounty on a non-rid box would be for the lba48 support. Some would find a well tested lba48 kernel for 4.0 to be worthwhile. evidently you seem to not be one of those people...good for you.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    Some would find a well tested lba48 kernel for 4.0 to be worthwhile. evidently you seem to not be one of those people...good for you.
    Since I can't imply anything from your post what would be well tested?

Several hundred hours of recordings,transfers and burns from differnt units?

Or is there a set of testing requirments I have not found?

I know it took me a while to get the proper kernel confiuration, but thanks to several posters (chrsturbo in particular) I feel confident in my current setups.

Didn't take much more than reading and doing for myself as the board is intended for.
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

Wow, I am glad the rants are seperated into this thread. I just hope that the soapbox speaches in here, don't hurt the chance of the bounty hack being released if we come close, but don't quite make the bar on the bounty.

I think it would be great if members here came up with the hack and released it freely to the community, and all the power to those with the time and inclination to do so.

I think that for a lot of people there is a certain time-value proposition here, mainly is my time better spent earning money and then supporting someone who has already done what I want, or undertaking that task myself.

I know when I saw what a Tivo could do I didn't think to myself, gee, that is really cool, I think I am going to develop that myself. No, I coughed up the dough and was able to take advantage of the work that had already been done. (No I am NOT saying that I have the skills nor knowledge to develop a Tivo from scratch.)

I am taking the same approach here, there are some guides, and helpful users that will help someone like me to compile my own LBA48 kernel. I estimate that it would take me (maybe I am slow on the uptake) at least 8-12 hours to read up on the topic, setup a cross compiling environment (hey, I don't compile code every day), obtain the kernel source, obtain the patch, compile, install on my tivo, test, hope that it works and that the wife doesn't kill me for breaking the tivo again. I put in $80 for the bounty (which happens to include the LBA48 kernel). $80/8 hours = $10/hour, $80/12 hours = $6.66/hr. I know that I make a heck of a lot more than that an hour, I know that the time that I am not working there are a lot of things I would like to be doing (spending time with the wife, friends, or even watching a little TV), so $80 seemed like a bargain, and I got to help those that have RID tivo's... I don't...

I understand that some people enjoy the challenge, all the power to them.

I understand that we all don't make the same amount of money, hopefully my contribution will allow someone who doesn't make as much to benefit from the efforts of those that have already completed the hack.

I don't understand why people are down on Riley for collecting for the bounty. He has stated many times in his thread that he is merely collecting the bounty to pass along to those that wrote the hack. He might or might not be part of the team that did it, I don't really care (except that he should get credit if credit is due).

If people here put half as much time into hacking their boxes as they do complaining about something someone else has already done we probably wouldn't be running any original Tivo code on our boxes as we would have already reverse engineered everything and improved upon it.

I hope that the bounty makes it high enough to have this hack released, I also hope that the community comes up with another way to do it. From what I can tell the community thrives upon this (two ways to do caller-id, more than two ways to get your shows off your Tivo, multiple ways to bypass the initial file checks, multiple ways to disable encryption, etc, etc..) If both ways are out there the best of both will most likely rise to the top.

Will I feel ripped off it someone releases a free one after the bounty is done, not at all as the bounty will have brought more knowledge to the masses that visit here. And it will have enriched those that helped bring it to us.

I'll get off my soapbox now, and appologize for the overly wordy post.

Split

DSR6000 - 3.1 - 120gb
    HDVR2 - Just for hacking

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    If by "progress" you mean "brick walls," you are correct.
    The deadline looms; better speed up your efforts.
    There is really no rush.
    I'm not racing.
    If Riley gets his moeny and releases, I don't care.
    If he doesn't and doesn't release, I don't care
    According to Riley this is a 100 hour hack.
    That's 2.5 weeks @ 40 hours a week
    Today is the last day for the "bounty"
    I imagine it will be extended

More people, who were not looking, are now looking thanks to the "bounty".
    "brick wall"
    Why don't YOU help out, instead of ridiculing those trying to provide the hack for free.
    Last edited by Tiros; 11-04-2004 at 01:00 PM.

Why don't YOU help out, instead of ridiculing those trying to provide the hack for free.
    Just keeping it real, pal. Your days are numbered.

And I have been helping. I've contributed more relevant information to the other two threads than you and your sidekick combined.

Get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman
    You have my best wishes, and the finest code 50 dollars can buy.
    hrm, not to nit-pick, but did you ever send that?
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Since you moved my post out of the thinktank thread and left Rileys non development post there, my post now seems out of context. To clarify I have linked to the original post I replied to here:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=18

And here is the thinktank link for a "free" version:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...556#post193556

And this is Riley's post, still in the development thread, that prompted my response that was moved here by ADH:
    Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    What's funny?
    I guess you knew that kmem is for VIRTUAL not PHYSICAL addresses
    No one dare crap (or offer to provide this hack for free) in your money grubbing thread, yet here you are crapping in the thread that is working on providing the hack for free. You better hurry up and release lest you not collect a dime.

There is progress, but like you guys, most work is being done in private now. Great job building a community.

You know what's funny?
    You on Cnet telling people you are going to start a company doing this.
    At your current rate of collection you might make 60K a year (gross)
    As long as you don't obtain business insurance, hire anybody, or eat too much, you should do well.
    Last edited by Tiros; 11-13-2004 at 02:42 PM.

There is progress, but like you guys, most work is being done in private now.
    What makes this so-called "progress" so sensitive, if you are planning to release it for free anyway?

We both know that you'd love to sabotage this bounty to prove that you're better than everyone else. The best way to do that is to offer real evidence that a viable free alternative will appear before the $5000 goal is met. Posting a lame "physical memory reader" program that you didn't even write is hardly convincing.

Edit: moved Tiros' flame post and my reply into the "rants" thread.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 11-13-2004 at 03:00 PM.