Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 4.x on RID discussion, opinions and rants

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Allen
    Then why not just release the 5.x? Oh, I get it. That will be 10K. Where does the extortion end?
    Moved to rants thread.

You've got three whole uninterrupted days to work on 5.x - think you can figure that out at least? If not, quit badgering the people who can.

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    all valid points
    1) donors w/o rid hardware don't need the updates, but they could give a license to a friend or shop for a cheap rid box
    2) probably true, but how many access cards are they going to ruin in the process?
    3) with per-unit resale licensing + a tcf list of 12k folks chomping at the bit it shouldn't be hard to show financial damages & go after any heroes, or anybody hosting the files
    *fwiw I don't even like 4.x, 5.x is so much more fun
    I have to agree with MN (needle in a haystack vs box of nails in a bale of hay). I have never seen a copy protection system that can not be defeated, and I have seen a lot of them. If you have one, you are in the wrong business.

As I have explained to you before, while your license may be enough to stop ebayers, and possibly even shut down a site, you will NEVER collect any damages. If your image is floating around on emule, who would you collect from. Heh, the RIAA has this same problem and I'm sure they have better lawyers and more money than you.

I'm not taunting you. Just trying to "keep it real, pal"
    Si me rogas, potes abire et tu ipse cacare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    ...I'm not taunting you. Just trying to "keep it real, pal"
    are you REALLY unable to comprehend the 5th post in this thread

terms edited for clarity

the idea was to use the thread to keep track of donations instead of a poll

here's a thread for opinions & rants4.x on RID discussion, opinions & rants

here's relativly inactive thread for developing a free version 4.0 / 4.x on Uma6/"RID" boards (merged from: 4.0 & RID chip and others)
    surely you're not that stupid, so this is threadcrapping and I'm tired of it - see you next year

*contact JJ or adh via email if you want to argue the case that that you really are that stupid and should be reinstated sooner as a charity case

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    As I have explained to you before, while your license may be enough to stop ebayers, and possibly even shut down a site, you will NEVER collect any damages. If your image is floating around on emule, who would you collect from. Heh, the RIAA has this same problem and I'm sure they have better lawyers and more money than you.
    Uh, not quite.

So, let's say you decided to host "Sleeper ISO 2 featuring killhdinitrd(tm)" on eMule. What happens when the copyright holder sends a notice of alleged infringement to your ISP?

(Or were you happier on dialup?)

Edit: moved this post and the previous two posts to the rants thread.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 11-16-2004 at 01:09 PM.

*I might put in a few hundred myself if we get within spitting distance, wish I could talk about some of the other toys these guys have written
    They nixed the thread multiple times over in the TivoCommunity Forum (that is where I found out about it).... (I don't post often here... just read read read, I spend most of posting time over on the other board)

Too bad... There are a lot over there that would contribute, but the posts don't stay up long enough....

As for the "other" toys.... Is it a "I had have to kill ya if you tell me" scenerio?

I'll toss another $20 in the bucket for an even $50... Wish I had a little more just lying around but...Impending Tax bill in the five digit figure range... plus I will need some hard drives and NICs to play with the software.
    Last edited by fontano; 11-16-2004 at 03:56 PM.

Why would you want 5.x on RID? You don't have a DVD burner on your init as far as I can tell...

4.x RID

I'm interested in getting this. I'm new to the Tivo world, so I'm reviewing the posts to see what features 4.x will have compared to the standard version. I have a Hughes DVR80 just recently purchased. I'm also experienced in Linux.

well...i might be wrong, as I couldnt find the exact quote, but I thought rc3105 had said something like he doesnt even use 4.x, but he uses 5.x because its alot more fun, but that that hack will probably remain private...I was just interested in the details of this.

btw, if Im totally wrong, sorry. hah.

Moved the 5.x questions here from the.. ahem.. "money grubbing thread."

(Man it's gonna be a long two months without Tiros around.)

So, let's say you decided to host "Sleeper ISO 2 featuring killhdinitrd(tm)" on eMule. What happens when the copyright holder sends a notice of alleged infringement to your ISP?

(Or were you happier on dialup?)

I don't care who ya are that was just funny.