Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.x on RID discussion, opinions and rants

if you want a solution that works now, make a donation in the thread

4.x on RID fundraiser

if you want to help with community development of a free solution

4.0 / 4.x on Uma6/"RID" boards (merged from: 4.0 & RID chip and others)
    Last edited by rc3105; 10-29-2004 at 04:21 PM.

?

So somebody can choose to (hypothetically) complete the challenge for less than the stated "goal" amount, correct? just clarifying.
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

The Faceoff: TiVo/NFL vs US

Is anyone else concerned that $5k won't keep anything/anyone safe from the inevitable faceoff between TiVo/NFL and the hacker community? With the latest announcement from TiVo and NFL about the added protection put into HMO on the 2.5 Series DTiVo's, I think TiVo will have to do/say something this time.

I commend all of those with the balls to (possibly) release this software at this time, for it may be the last and only opportunity for most of us to have "TiVo our way".

You have my best wishes, and the finest code 50 dollars can buy.
    If only I could figure out how to make my TiVo remote work in reality....

I don't; but the spirit of a "challenge" is more along the lines of a "competition" -- it's kind of anti-climactic if we know that someone already has it and that they're just waiting for a dollar amount...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they don't have the right to, or that it's not fair or anything -- I'm just saying that it kind of takes some of the fun out of the process...

Anyway -- thanks for putting up the challenge - we all appreciate the extra effort.

--Timo
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tbellomo
    I don't; but the spirit of a "challenge" is more along the lines of a "competition" -- it's kind of anti-climactic if we know that someone already has it and that they're just waiting for a dollar amount...
    The challenge has been running for a few months now. Any valid submission between 8/31 and next Thursday is eligible.

I'm glad somebody finally came forward with a solution; I was losing hope that we would ever see it.

verified

I just dontated $100.

I really really hope this comes true, just a little sad that this has come down to $$$ .

Quote Originally Posted by sirfergy
    I really really hope this comes true, just a little sad that this has come down to $$$ .
    Why? You are used to pay for your operating system, for your games, for your software, for your upgrades and such. I would gladly pay for a patch that adds functionality to my TiVo I currently do not have...

I originally paid $99 for HMO to TiVo, now it's free. If they are not briging it to DTivos, and somebody is, why not pay $99 to them?

I understand why they want $$$, but imagine if the very first TiVo hackers had wanted $$$? We'd be in a much different boat now.

Quote Originally Posted by sirfergy
    I understand why they want $$$, but imagine if the very first TiVo hackers had wanted $$$? We'd be in a much different boat now.
    Don't forget that we're mostly in the current boat because others have taken the very first TiVo hackers work to eBay, where they're selling it for a huge profit...

I wish humans weren't so evil, although I'm not sure why selling this stuff on eBay has anything to do with the current situation.

I'm just so happy someone actually is willing to post a 4.x on RID even if it costs $$$. I already contributed $100 so obviously I really want it.

verified

I just contributed $80.
    There's no place like ~/

verified

sent $35

Willing to contribute monetarily even if I am unable to contribute development wise.

Gemini aka Osirisdog

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throw the Dog a Bone

This is a BIG mistake!

Before, w/EFF fronting the blow and no one person or persons profiting could have been overlooked, even with Slashdot exposure.

Now that individuals may profit, there is completely different legal exposure. I guess the author(s) have worked this out already. The problem is if more than one person is involved, conspiracy charges are often used to escalate the crime to Felony status. This is particulary true when someone wants to make a point.

No comment on being a non-anonymous contributor and it's implication.

What happend to all the "wrath of Tivo" worries?

That's why I thought this stuff was always free, because it wouldn't upset TiVo.

Is 4.X on a RID Illegal??

I thought we had hasshed over this when HMO/Superpatch became available on 4.X on DTivo's. That which is not offered cannot be stolen. When Tivo and DTV get around to saying they will offer the feature on the DTivo's would be the day I would then have to look and say how much are they charging and proceed along that path. Is that not a logical thought process?