Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.x on RID discussion, opinions and rants

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    This is a BIG mistake!

Before, w/EFF fronting the blow and no one person or persons profiting could have been overlooked, even with Slashdot exposure.

Now that individuals may profit, there is completely different legal exposure. I guess the author(s) have worked this out already. The problem is if more than one person is involved, conspiracy charges are often used to escalate the crime to Felony status. This is particulary true when someone wants to make a point.

No comment on being a non-anonymous contributor and it's implication.

What happend to all the "wrath of Tivo" worries?
    In all honesty Tiros, unless you have created a proven and "FREE" alternative, you really have no voice concerning the value that the author's have placed on their time.

While I somewhat agree with your and other user's underlying argument of hacking for profit, why shouldn't a developer have the opportunity to profit from their work? I don't recall any of you guys calling out Weaknees or PTVupgrade for building a business model off of the "founding father's" work. Nor have I seen 1 penny go to MuscleNerd for pioneering monte, or the countless others developing software that we all benefit from. I put money up not only because my RID solution was too unstable to use, but because 50 dollars is a paltry sum to learn from the source code released.

For anyone else wanting to pipe up about the bounty method of releasing certain TiVo modifications, please list a CV of your contributions to the "hacking" community first. Either that or prove your skills and abilities to the community by developing a "free" RID solution in the next week.

Choice is yours...
    If only I could figure out how to make my TiVo remote work in reality....

verified

Just sent you my $50.00!
    I don't have a RID unit. But now I have an excuse to get one. BTW, today is no fee Thursday on Paypal.

rudiger

quote from a sewer thread

Yeah, Yeah, heard it before. MANY MANY hacks.
    Since I started here, the units were already compromised. Didn't need any "Secret" hacks to get bash and extraction. Still don't.
    Now if any of that wasn't working, that would be a high demand hack. Many of the things developed here are really cool and useful, but only a certain percentage qualify as a "high demand" hack. Call me when they integrate the boot rom.

How come I have never seen the "sufficient demand" for these "secret" hacks.
    So what are they?
    tivo has ignored user demand for dtv compat HMO for over a year now. if they're going to force auto-delete on us, perhaps this is a fitting counterpoint. if the community doesn't want this badly enough it'll stay private

pushing this through is a much more effective statement than a 10,000 signature petition. tivo & hollywood are about $$$ and they need to know we want these features and are willing to pay for them if the terms are reasonable (our idea of reasonable, not the folks that want $25 for a dvd that costs $0.09 to make)

might seem like this just ups the ante in the cat & mouse game, and we really don't want to put tivo out of business, but mythtivo on the tivo itself isn't impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by geminicat
    I thought we had hasshed over this when HMO/Superpatch became available on 4.X on DTivo's. That which is not offered cannot be stolen.
    This competition is not about making HMO run on the Uma6 boards. That is only a side effect.

This is about making the Uma6 boards backward compatible with the Uma4 boards. In other words, the purpose of this bounty is to allow DDB members to have a choice: if they prefer the look, feel, or availability of a Uma6 model, they can purchase a Uma6 model knowing that anything that runs on a Uma4 model will run on the unit they purchased.

This project is not illegal.
    This project is not something that makes it easier to compromise the box or to extract video.
    This project does not allow users to get any paid service for free.
    This project does not allow users to get free HMO. That is a function of the superpatch.

I expect that this bounty will be a non-issue in the eyes of TiVo and DirecTV.

Wow, this is exciting..

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    I'm glad somebody finally came forward with a solution; I was losing hope that we would ever see it.
    Talk about losing hope. I've got 4 DVR40's in the house, and after spending a couple of weeks pulling my hair out trying to figure a way to get 4.0 running on them I gave up and and bought 2 HDVR2's on ebay tonight before discovering this thread.

Regardless, I'll be sending my contribution tomorrow. What will I do with these HDVR2's now?

Couple of suggestions... Can we post a daily running total? Some of us may decide to contribute a second time if needed.

Also, it would be great if we could make this package the "ultimate" solution and bundle LBA48 support with it. I realize that LBA48 support is nothing new here, but to my knowledge nobody's posted a proven, properly configured 2.4.18 LBA48 kernel here for general use.

verified

Donated 100.00 I know I promised 150 since 50 for each dsr704 I have but that was for an end all easy to use solution and I am not sure this will be or not.. I will reserve the last 50.00 till after I see how easy it is to apply and then will donate another 50 if all goes well...

there's 2 ways this can go. if we meet the bounty it'll be released openly with the ebay clause

if not, it'll probably be released elsewhere on a pay-per-unit basis tied to the unit's specific crypto chip

door #1 is the way to go, you'll be able simply copy root once the first box is done

It is very disturbing to see that Musclenerds offer to produce this hack for free is gone without a trace. As are the props that were handed out to him after his post.

Quote Originally Posted by RC3105
    keep in mind $5k doesn't go very far when you split it among geeks who've probably all got at least that much tivo hardware laying around

heh, the generall hobbyist doesn't stand a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by AllDeadHomiez
    The first valuable hint we have was revealed yesterday: it's possible. Now we just have to figure out how it was done. Riley knows; the rest of us don't.
    Last edited by Tiros; 10-29-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel the same way.
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

It is very disturbing to see that Musclenerds offer to produce this hack for free is gone without a trace.
    You have got to relax with the goddman conspiracy theories.

It's unattractive.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38870

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    You have got to relax with the goddman conspiracy theories.

It's unattractive.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38870
    Are you saying it did not happen?

good grief people, the posts gotta go somewhere temporarily when you shuffle things

trying to get this all sorted into dev/discussion/fundraising...

do I need to set aside another thread in the sewer for conspiracy theories?

Well, I did a search on his username, and still can't find his post, so...

Even if it is innocent, you must admit, it does look -- at least kind of -- suspect.
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

After a restful night of sleep, I've come around to thinking this is legally too hot of a hack for me to work on. Sorry if I riled up those who saw my orig post, which I asked to be deleted.

It wouldn't be the first time the sewer was used to bury facts.

Gee, I thought we already had a thread for this:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31267
    But since the main benifactor of the cash award has started the thread, I am sure that it will go much further this time.

MN,
    Too bad you got scared off. It was a valient attempt.
    Since your props were removed too:

PROPS TO MUSCLENERD!
    You are a true TIVO GOD!
    1) MuscleNerd did not get "scared off". He thought better of his actions, which is more then I can say for You at this point.
    2) Are you ACTUALLY questioning rc3105's integrity?
    3) Tell me in public that you don't trust rc3015 and that you don't want to be in his presence anymore and I will tend to that for you.
    4) Spend your time in a more productive fashion, or spend it elsewhere.
    Last edited by JJBliss; 10-29-2004 at 02:57 PM.