Thread: Hacking my SD-H400

Hacking my SD-H400

I own a currently unmodified Toshiba SD-H400, with the latest software (5.
    1.1b) and I would like to hack it. I will be connecting via a USB network adapter (probably wired)

I want to be able run TWP and the other programs and do extraction through TyTool.

This is what I got out of some searching: Pull the drive, back it up, and run killhdinitrd. (Following these instructions) Then, install the telnet and FTP software and setup a link to them in the rc.sysinit.author file.

Next, install TWP and the hack in this thread: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ght=tivoweb+s2

Am I correct in assuming that after this I will be able to install the TyTool software and extract new recordings?

Also, I'm not sure if this enables a Bash prompt. Does it?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by csyria; 10-29-2004 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by csyria
    I own a currently unmodified Toshiba SD-H400, with the latest software (5.1.1b) and I would like to hack it. I...
    A couple of notes: killhdinitrd doesn't support the stock kernel from 5.1.1b. I'm pretty sure you can use the 3.1.5 kernel that killhdinitrd does support. I tried it briefly, and everything seemed to work for me, although I didn't try progressive scan or AC3 out. It's the same linux kernel version (2.4.20). The alternative is to boot a killhdinitrd neutered 3.1.1c kernel, then monte to the stock 5.1.1b kernel, after neutring it. I used replace_initrd to put in a null initrd. This is what I do, but If I was starting over from scratch I'd probably just stick with 3.1.5, assuming everything seems to work there.

TWP runs fine for me. I seem to recall that some people had an issue with the tzoffset stuff, but I don't recall having to patch it.

I haven't tried tytool, but if you want to do anything with the extracted video, you'll need the NOCSO patch to disable scrambling.

To get bash via telnet you'll need to run tnlited. To get bash on the serial port, you'll need to add "dsscon=true serial=2,152000" to the bootpage and run "bash < /dev/ttyS2 &>/dev/ttyS2& in your startup scripts somewhere.

This is pretty high level, but if you search DDB on some of the terms found above, I think you'll find everything you need to know.
    Last edited by Jamie; 10-29-2004 at 05:19 PM.

By replacing the kernal, would I lose any functionality? we're not using anything but the composite and RF jacks, in addition to the DVD player. (Its on a old TV)

Quote Originally Posted by csyria
    By replacing the kernal, would I lose any functionality? we're not using anything but the composite and RF jacks, in addition to the DVD player. (Its on a old TV)
    Try it and see. I only used it briefly, but everything seemed to work as far as I could tell. The monte solution works well too, it's just a little more work to set up (not much, really) and will boot slightly slower since it has to switch from one kernel to another.