Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Undoing Sleeper

Undoing Sleeper

I recently modified my previously Monte'd HDVR2 with 120g Maxtor. Replaced the kernel in hda3 with a killhdinitrd'd modified 3.1.1c kernel. Commented out the SPS30, Sort and Fixsub routines in my rc.sysinit.author file, and rebooted. All is fine, and the eventbug problem I was suffering from before is gone.

Since I'm undoing some of Sleeper's setup, should I go further? I have the following specific questions:

1. Should I reinitiate the fixsub routine, or is there a better newer solution to avoid the no-call nag screen?

2. Should I continue using kmem for no-scrambling, or is there a better solution (i.e. NoCSO)?

3. I'm pretty sure I should upgrade from Tivoweb to Tivowebplus. Right?

Anything else I should do to upgrade from the Sleeper setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtw_124
    I recently modified my previously Monte'd HDVR2 with 120g Maxtor. Replaced the kernel in hda3 with a killhdinitrd'd modified 3.1.1c kernel. Commented out the SPS30, Sort and Fixsub routines in my rc.sysinit.author file, and rebooted. All is fine, and the eventbug problem I was suffering from before is gone.

Since I'm undoing some of Sleeper's setup, should I go further? I have the following specific questions:

1. Should I reinitiate the fixsub routine, or is there a better newer solution to avoid the no-call nag screen?

2. Should I continue using kmem for no-scrambling, or is there a better solution (i.e. NoCSO)?

Anything else I should do to upgrade from the Sleeper setup?

Fixsub has been working well for me, I'm not aware of something better

Definitely get rid of Kmem, go with the NoCSO solution. Likewise, TiVoWebPlus should be used to replace TiVoWeb.

There is a new version of tivoftpd which sets permissions automatically - no need to chmod files you copy over.

Someone (NutKase?) has come up with a version of Joe that will run without anything in /var.

You might want to look at AlphaWolf's Series 2 binaries and determine how many of the utilities are newer than those installed by TiVoScripts.

And lastly, I understand there are newer versions of the usb/ethernet drivers. You could consider replacing those.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Wouldn't hurt anything.

go for NoCSO

Yes.

Fixsub should work fine or you can use the fakecall.tpm script. Either program does essentially the same thing so it's your choice which one you want to install. Fakecall is installed in a default folder unless you specify otherwise so you do have some control over the installation process.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks for the replies. I'll do as you all suggested.

UnSleepering Confusion

As indicated, I'm trying to unSleeper an HDVR2 (screen shows HDVR3). Following instructions for killhdinitrd, I pulled the drive, put it in my computer, and dd'd a 3.1.1c modified kernel. When I did all this, I wasn't sure what my boot partition was and could not get bootpage to work, so I took a pointer from what someone else did and dd'd the modified kernel into both hda4 and hda7. I recall hda4 taking the kernel fine, and I recall getting some kind of an error message regarding the hda7 dd attempt. (Note: I was not running killhdinitrd on an existing kernel, but instead trying to dd a modified kernel into hda7. So, the error message puzzled me.)

Rebooted, everything seemed fine, but I notice System Information indicates I'm running 3.1.1b-02-2-151 (not 3.1.1c). Also, I'm getting the "Acquiring Program Guide" nag box, which is a relic of 3.1.1b I understand. With the drive back in my Tivo, I'm able to get bootpage to work and running "bootpage -p /dev/hda" produces "root=/dev/hda4" (which, according to the instructions I read in thread 36693, means I'm really booting into the hda7 partition that I didn't think took the modified kernel in the first place.)

I have not successfully unSleepered my TIVO, have I? I'm guessing that I'm still booting into hda7 and the Monting into hda4 which means it doesn't matter whether the hda4 kernel has been killhdinitrd'd since I'm still using the Monte method, right?? Before doing the killhdinitrd kernel transfers, I restored from my virgin drive using Sleeper's restore routine, but didn't run surgery or hacks. Without running surgery, can I even be Monting at this point??? I'm a little confused what my Tivo is doing. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jtw_124
    As indicated, I'm trying to unSleeper an HDVR2 (screen shows HDVR3). Following instructions for killhdinitrd, I pulled the drive, put it in my computer, and dd'd a 3.1.1c modified kernel. When I did all this, I wasn't sure what my boot partition was and could not get bootpage to work, so I took a pointer from what someone else did and dd'd the modified kernel into both hda4 and hda7. I recall hda4 taking the kernel fine, and I recall getting some kind of an error message regarding the hda7 dd attempt. (Note: I was not running killhdinitrd on an existing kernel, but instead trying to dd a modified kernel into hda7. So, the error message puzzled me.)

Rebooted, everything seemed fine, but I notice System Information indicates I'm running 3.1.1b-02-2-151 (not 3.1.1c). Also, I'm getting the "Acquiring Program Guide" nag box, which is a relic of 3.1.1b I understand. With the drive back in my Tivo, I'm able to get bootpage to work and running "bootpage -p /dev/hda" produces "root=/dev/hda4" (which, according to the instructions I read in thread 36693, means I'm really booting into the hda7 partition that I didn't think took the modified kernel in the first place.)

I have not successfully unSleepered my TIVO, have I? I'm guessing that I'm still booting into hda7 and the Monting into hda4 which means it doesn't matter whether the hda4 kernel has been killhdinitrd'd since I'm still using the Monte method, right?? Before doing the killhdinitrd kernel transfers, I restored from my virgin drive using Sleeper's restore routine, but didn't run surgery or hacks. Without running surgery, can I even be Monting at this point??? I'm a little confused what my Tivo is doing. TIA

OK, this is going to REALLY be a learning experience for you. A couple of points.

1. NEVER type commands blindly. Bootpage didn't work for a reason. Find out WHY, don't barge ahead.

2. When you get an error, write the error message down. The message means something didn't work. You need to know what is going wrong.

3. Give us information. Relating to the bootpage problem, what CD were you booting from? Bootpage is part of the image for Knoppix-Lite and PTV Upgrades LBA-48 cds, you have to mount the cd if you're booting from TiVoScripts, and it's not even on most MFS Tools cds.

4. Since you're already restored the image (WHY?), you can work on the active partition.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I am in a similar situation, although I haven't started yet. I hope the orignal poster doesnt mind me stepping on his thread, but this is related and hopefully we can all come up with a resonable procedure.

I have a friend who has a sleeper'ed drive running 3.1.1b. He has 3.1.1e downloaded on the box. He can't run 4.0 yet since it is a RID box. It is an SD-DVR40 if that matters.

I was hoping I could just do:

installSw.itcl "software version" and get him fresh on 3.1.1e and then killhdinitrd from there.

I have a few questions as unfortunately I am not as familiar with the intricacies of Sleeper as I need to/should be.

Is that the correct procedure to install the software and do I have to do anything else other than that to get him on the fresh 3.1.1e base install (other than a reboot), such as flip the bootpage, etc.?

I should be able to do that and install the hacks before rebooting based on NotKase's thread on the subject. NutKase implied that Sleeper would lie to me when I did the bootpage -c\p command. For me right now (still Sleeper'ed and running the tivo bootpage, it says 7 is the current active root now. So after a software upgrade and a bootpage flip the kernel should be on 4, but it will really be on 6? Ouch, head hurts hehe...).

Either way, after I do the manual software upgrade (making sure I don't have any preventative measures in rc.sysinit and installSoftware.itcl), do I have to do the bootpage -f /dev/hda manually or does the installSw.itcl do that? I don t want to flip it twice hehe.

Even if I get back to a non-hacked 3.1.1e version that doesn't have nasty sleeper remnants, I can go from there and not be that worried. Are there issues other than loosing the apple_free space (2.5mb per pdisk) that would be evil remnants of the sleeper ordeal?

Thanks,
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shstevens
    I am in a similar situation, although I haven't started yet. I hope the orignal poster doesnt mind me stepping on his thread, but this is related and hopefully we can all come up with a resonable procedure.

I have a friend who has a sleeper'ed drive running 3.1.1b. He has 3.1.1e downloaded on the box. He can't run 4.0 yet since it is a RID box. It is an SD-DVR40 if that matters.

<SNIP>

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Shawn,

Look at this thread http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38970

The objective is similar; the starting point is the same, and the process will be very similar. Read the other thread, particularly my description of how the normal boot process works, and how the monte process works. The only significant differences are a: you're dealing with 3.1.1b (you will use the 3.1.1c kernel from the PTS Upgrade cd) and b: you'll be upgrading to a newer version of software after installing killhdinitrd. I'm recommending killhdinitrd first, because installing a software upgrade on a Monte'd drive gets a little tricky.

One question: Do you have ethernet access to the TiVo? We might even be able to do this without pulling the drive.

PlainBill

Good man Bill, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to post this here or the other one, and I didn't want to crosspost so let's try here first and see what we get :^)

I do have telnet access and I am trying to understand this to the level that will make me comfortable doing it from telnet :^)

I actually do understand the partition structure and how monte works at that level (you can absolutely choose to not believe me though LOL!). You gave a clear consise explaination of the process that I already felt I needed to take, with commands (which you didn't have to do). I do things a little differently (for instance, I was unfamiliar with the zcat command so I usually copy the vmlinux.px.gz to the dos partition, gzip -d it and then dd it back in, but you have a nice fast way of doing it and I always appreciate a good learning experience!), but the results are the same.

I appreciate your advice on killhd'ing before the upgrade, that makes sense. So it sounds like I will be dding a killhd'ed 3.1.1c onto the real soon-to-be active partition (3 in my case, and thanks for explaining the monte handling of bootpage, I knew it was screwy, but that clears up WHY it was screwy), flipping and booting into the original 3.1.1b standard partion set (3/4 in my case).

Quick check: 3.1.1c kernel should boot 3.1.1b software ok right?

After that, I will do a manual upgrade to 3.1.1e and before I reboot (and loose access), I will dd a 3.1.1c killhd'ed kernel over to the NEW soon-to-be active kernel partition (will be 6 in this case now). Then I will make my rc.sysinit.author mods, move my hacks that I keep on the root over (var is shared and will transfer). If I didn't fat finger anything it should boot up with 3.1.1e software, 3.1.1c killhd'ed kernel and all the hacks that I transfered.

My other questions, unfortunately, are a little more fundamental.

1) Is the correct procedure to install 3.1.1e (when I get to that point) to use the installSw.itcl with an arguement containing the slice I want to install? I have multiple ones, and I see the active one ends in a -351 so I will be choosing the 3.1.1e version that ends in -351 as well (that makes sense, but let me know if I am off here please).

2) If that is correct, once I do the manual install, do I have to flip the bootpage, or is that taken care of by the install script that Tivo uses? I am trying to avoid flipping twice, although if I follow the above procedure and it is flipped twice, it sounds like I will be booting into my first step (3.1.1b software with a 3.1.1c killhd'ed kernel on 3/4), with the ability to just flip it and go from there. Since I am working with killhd'ed kernels on both partition sets, I believe I am safe from loosing my modifications.

3) Don't yell at me for this one :^) The bootpage -P command sets the parameters, but does it also flip the bootpage or is that ONLY done with the bootpage -f?

4) If I am doing bootpage commands from WITHIN the Tivo, then I will not need the -C /dev/hdX correct? It assumes /dev/hda which is correct I believe.

Just trying to make sure I fully am aware of what I am about to do, and thanks for taking the time Bill.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Good man Bill, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to post this here or the other one, and I didn't want to crosspost so let's try here first and see what we get :^)

I do have telnet access and I am trying to understand this to the level that will make me comfortable doing it from telnet :^)

I actually do understand the partition structure and how monte works at that level (you can absolutely choose to not believe me though LOL!). You gave a clear consise explaination of the process that I already felt I needed to take, with commands (which you didn't have to do). I do things a little differently (for instance, I was unfamiliar with the zcat command so I usually copy the vmlinux.px.gz to the dos partition, gzip -d it and then dd it back in, but you have a nice fast way of doing it and I always appreciate a good learning experience!), but the results are the same.

I appreciate your advice on killhd'ing before the upgrade, that makes sense. So it sounds like I will be dding a killhd'ed 3.1.1c onto the real soon-to-be active partition (3 in my case, and thanks for explaining the monte handling of bootpage, I knew it was screwy, but that clears up WHY it was screwy), flipping and booting into the original 3.1.1b standard partion set (3/4 in my case).

Quick check: 3.1.1c kernel should boot 3.1.1b software ok right?
    I believe so. See at the end for an alternate possibility.

After that, I will do a manual upgrade to 3.1.1e and before I reboot (and loose access), I will dd a 3.1.1c killhd'ed kernel over to the NEW soon-to-be active kernel partition (will be 6 in this case now). Then I will make my rc.sysinit.author mods, move my hacks that I keep on the root over (var is shared and will transfer). If I didn't fat finger anything it should boot up with 3.1.1e software, 3.1.1c killhd'ed kernel and all the hacks that I transfered.

My other questions, unfortunately, are a little more fundamental.

1) Is the correct procedure to install 3.1.1e (when I get to that point) to use the installSw.itcl with an arguement containing the slice I want to install? I have multiple ones, and I see the active one ends in a -351 so I will be choosing the 3.1.1e version that ends in -351 as well (that makes sense, but let me know if I am off here please).
    Yes, use the one with the same hardware identifier as your present software.

2) If that is correct, once I do the manual install, do I have to flip the bootpage, or is that taken care of by the install script that Tivo uses? I am trying to avoid flipping twice, although if I follow the above procedure and it is flipped twice, it sounds like I will be booting into my first step (3.1.1b software with a 3.1.1c killhd'ed kernel on 3/4), with the ability to just flip it and go from there. Since I am working with killhd'ed kernels on both partition sets, I believe I am safe from loosing my modifications.
    InstallSw.itcl flips the bootpage. I usually change the reboot command to exit 0 so I can work on the system.

3) Don't yell at me for this one :^) The bootpage -P command sets the parameters, but does it also flip the bootpage or is that ONLY done with the bootpage -f?
    bootpage -f flips the bootpage. bootpage -b sets it; bootpage -a sets the alternate.
    4) If I am doing bootpage commands from WITHIN the Tivo, then I will not need the -C /dev/hdX correct? It assumes /dev/hda which is correct I believe.
    No. The correct syntax would be bootpage -p /dev/hda OR bootpage -f /dev/hda
    Just trying to make sure I fully am aware of what I am about to do, and thanks for taking the time Bill.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    I tend to be a 'belt and suspenders' type - do one thing at a time, then test it. If you're VERY BRAVE, you could try this sequence:

Flip the bootpage. You will have to use both -P to set the boot parameters (active root, etc) and -f to flip the active kernel.

Edit installSw.itcl, run it.

Copy your hacks to the new root partition, including rc.sysint.author

Update either the boot parameters to include upgradesoftware=false, or stick it in rc.sysinit.

Copy a killhdinitrd kernel to the new kernel partition.

Reboot.

(I'd tend to have backed up the drive before I tried this).

PlainBill

Thanks again.

I found this link:
    http://www.courtesan.com/tivo/bootpage.html

Helped with what the bootpage parameters are and I finally get the gist of all the arguments and their functions.

If you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate on this statement?

"I usually change the reboot command to exit 0"

The last few lines of my installSw.itcl are:
    inst installSoftware $name $Inc::TC_INSTALL_DIR

exit 0

The last few lines of my upgradeSoftware.itcl is:
    # Reboot to install the new software.
    DisplayMsg "\n SUCCESS !! \n\n Rebooting to install..." 2
    #exec /bin/bash -c reboot

Notice my CLEVER use of the # character to prevent that reboot.

I had thought that I would remove that from upgradeSoftware.itcl before running installSw.itcl.

I want to make sure I am not getting the two scripts confused, though. I was also planning on removing the upgradesoftware=false variable export from rc.sysinit (I do that to keep my bootpage less cluttered, but that is a flavor thing).

I see the exit 0 in the installSw.itcl, is that fancy Linux-speak for reboot? Heh, that is my lack of *nix background rearing is ugly head :^)

Thanks,
    Shawn

Don't get confused by upgradeSoftware.itcl and installSw.itcl; they are two different programs, serving two different purposes.

installSw.itcl has a line NEAR the end which is simply 'reboot'. I'm not a programming genius, but I know simply commenting that line out will mean the program will skip it, and continue with the next line - which is a path the software was never intended to follow. Since I'm not particularly brilliant, I changed it to 'exit 0' which seems to mean 'exit normally'. Now dozens of programmers will take me to task for unauthorized modification of a script.

PlainBill

It is all good :^) I wasn't familiar with what "exit 0" did so that cleared it up nicely. Thanks for the handholding, I will be doing this over the weekend so I will let you how it goes!

Thanks much,
    Shawn

Shawn, no problem about the borrowing my thread, just as long as I'm able to get us back to my topic....

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    3. Give us information. Relating to the bootpage problem, what CD were you booting from? Bootpage is part of the image for Knoppix-Lite and PTV Upgrades LBA-48 cds, you have to mount the cd if you're booting from TiVoScripts, and it's not even on most MFS Tools cds.
    Knoppix and Knoppix-Lite do not recognize my Sleepered drive. I realize Knoppix (non-Lite) isn't compiled in such a way to read Tivo drives, but for some reason I'm having the same problem with Knoppix-Lite. When I try to mount my Tivo drive with either program, I get the "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdX, or too many mounted files systems."

Therefore, I defaulted to running Sleeper's ISO and Alt-F2ing out to get a command prompt. This worked, but when bootpage didn't work I assumed (perhaps falsely) that it wasn't properly installed on that CD; (although now that I think about it, it should be there.)

2. When you get an error, write the error message down. The message means something didn't work. You need to know what is going wrong.
    I know, I know. I usually do. For one, I was worried about my post being too long and no one reading/responding to it, (thank you), so I was trying to keep it as short as possible and still provide what I thought was essential. Also, I'm obviously a little perplexed just mounting the darned thing properly, so I wasn't sure that specific error message was all that pertinent given my larger issues.

I was able to mount hda4 (using the commands "mkdir hda4" and "mount /dev/hda4 hda4"). When I tried "mkdir hda7" and "mount /dev/hda7 hda7", I believe my error message was either that I needed to specify a file system type or the device was not found in fstab. Since I don't think you have to mount a partition in order to dd something into it, I tried to dd the modified kernel into hda7. I didn't write down the error message, but I believe it was "permission denied." I'll take better notes at this stage the next time I do this; I'm sorry.

1. NEVER type commands blindly. Bootpage didn't work for a reason. Find out WHY, don't barge ahead.
    I hear you. I'm coming from a DOS/Windows background and trying to teach myself the requisite Linux/Unix skills as I go. I'm doing the best I can and willing to blow up my backup drive in the name of learning how to do this, if that's what it takes. I don't "blindly" type the commands, but I do make "educated attempts" after doing a fair amount of research and reading. I'm trying!

4. Since you've already restored the image (WHY?), you can work on the active partition.
    I restored the drive in the hopes of putting it back into more of an original state with no "Monteing" and less hacks, so I could killhdinitrd on more of a virgin system. With a little more information after the fact, I realize now I didn't quite accomplish that and I still had a lot of that Monteing and hacks still involved.

I have good ethernet connectivity into the Tivo and can upload and manipulate files without pulling the drive. I greatly appreciate your help here. What would you suggest with this new information? Since it appears I'm booting from hda7 (the 3.1.1b kernel), I believe I need to flip the bootpage and boot from the killhdinitrd modified 3.1.1c kernel in hda4. But, before I do that, I suppose I should get better control of my machine and understand why I'm having these Knoppix-Lite and mounting problems first. TIA.