Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using 3.1.1c kernel with 3.1.1e

Quote Originally Posted by bnm81002
    I wanna receive those updates though, is there anyway that I can hack the unit and not have it eliminated while receiving the updates, anything during the hacking process that can do that?

Do a little more research; the answer has been discussed repeatedly. The 'upgrade block' referenced above allows the upgrade to be downloaded and saved; it is not installed. It is a trivial problem to slightly modify the install process so you can hack the new software AFTER it is installed, but BEFORE it runs - all without pulling the drive.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

If you're on a DirecTivo, the updates are still downloaded even though they're not installed. If you're on a standalone, you can download the slices off something like emule, then ftp them to your tivo.

Then, its as simple as modifying the installSW script to not reboot, run the script, re-copy your hacked kernel and hacks, and reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    If you're on a DirecTivo, the updates are still downloaded even though they're not installed. If you're on a standalone, you can download the slices off something like emule, then ftp them to your tivo.

Then, its as simple as modifying the installSW script to not reboot, run the script, re-copy your hacked kernel and hacks, and reboot.

so the only way to hack the Philips DSR704 for networking, you have to change the software back to 3.1.1c? can't hack it with the existing software 3.1.1e?

so the only way to hack the Philips DSR704 for networking, you have to change the software back to 3.1.1c? can't hack it with the existing software 3.1.1e?
    Again, READ before you ask questons that have been answered repeatedly. The kernel supplied with 3.1.1c is functionally identical with the kernel supplied with 3.1.1e. The kernel is NOT the software. You're replacing a kernel for which no exploit has been developed with a functionally identical kernel that has been exploited. The SOFTWARE is still 3.1.1e.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Again, READ before you ask questons that have been answered repeatedly. The kernel supplied with 3.1.1c is functionally identical with the kernel supplied with 3.1.1e. The kernel is NOT the software. You're replacing a kernel for which no exploit has been developed with a functionally identical kernel that has been exploited. The SOFTWARE is still 3.1.1e.

PlainBill

all instructions have the 3.1.1c software listed? not 3.1.1e so how is it the same then when you have to change the software back to 3.1.1c when hacking Tivo?

all instructions have the 3.1.1c software listed? not 3.1.1e so how is it the same then when you have to change the software back to 3.1.1c when hacking Tivo?
    Are you obtuse? The software isn't changed, the kernel is. The kernel is in the kernel partition; the software is in the root partition. The kernel supplied as part of software version 3.1.1c is functionally identical to the kernel supplied with software 3.1.1e. The SOFTWARE is different.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Are you obtuse? The software isn't changed, the kernel is. The kernel is in the kernel partition; the software is in the root partition. The kernel supplied as part of software version 3.1.1c is functionally identical to the kernel supplied with software 3.1.1e. The SOFTWARE is different.

PlainBill

to start saying things like what you said is very unnecessary, all you had to do was say that no matter what software version it is as long as the kernel is changed that's is all that is needed ok mr. SMARTPANTS thank you
    Last edited by bnm81002; 11-07-2004 at 08:32 PM.

for the hughes hd, i thought the kernel used 3.1.5?? and this is what you used to replace /dev/hdd6 if you have the e revision of the software on /dev/hdd7???

I'm getting the error message below, through the serial port when I try to boot.

Boot failed reason=53
    Ram size = 64
    Service number is XXXXXXXX.
    What is password?
    What is password?
    What is password?

This is on an HDVR2, with 3.1.1e and a killhdinitrd 3.1.1c kernel. I read somewhere that error 53 is due to the kernel being incorrect, but I tried 2 different 3.1.1c kernels and got the same error. One of the kernels came from the PTVupgrade CD.

I checked bootpage -p and it returns
    boot=/dev/hda4

bootpage -b returns
    Boot Partition: 3

Any ideas? I'm going to try and copy the original kernel back to partition 3 and see if it boots.

-steve

I just tried copying my old 3.1.1e kernel back, and I still get the same error! So I guess somehow I must be copying the kernel incorrectly or it got corrupt somehow. I used this command to copy it:

dd if=/dev/hdc3 of=/mnt/c/mykernel.px bs=1024 count=2048

I guess I'll try re-imaging the drive.. I was confident that this would be easy, since I previously had my machine running 4.0.1b using the same killhdinitrd method. I must be doing something wrong, just can't figure out what.

Quote Originally Posted by steve457
    I just tried copying my old 3.1.1e kernel back, and I still get the same error! So I guess somehow I must be copying the kernel incorrectly or it got corrupt somehow. I used this command to copy it:

dd if=/dev/hdc3 of=/mnt/c/mykernel.px bs=1024 count=2048
    This command will copy the kernel off the tivo disk (if= means input file) onto a file in /mnt/c (of= means output file). Was this what you intended?

Yes, I used that command to copy the original from my tivo drive onto my FAT32 drive. I then did:

dd if=/mnt/c/mykernel.px of=/dev/hdc3 bs=1024

when I tried copying it back to my tivo.

Update: I just re-imaged the drive from my original 3.1.1e image (taking from my original drive). I put that drive back in the tivo, and it reboots after the Powering Up screen (doesn't make it to almost there..). Hmm... I used mfsbackup to get that image off of my original drive, so I'm not sure what's going on. I did purchase this HDVR2 off eBay, so maybe the original drive isn't actually "original". When I first got it, it had version 3.1.0 software on it, and I let the tivo upgrade itself to 3.1.1e before I pulled it.