Thread: How to hijack a thread (Split from: How many TiVo Hackers/Modders are there? )

How to hijack a thread (Split from: How many TiVo Hackers/Modders are there? )

With all due respect to JJ, unregistered guests here cannot download anything, and therefore have to register to get most any hack here. Obviously mfstools 2.0 and killhdinetrd / lba48 kernels are the exception, but for those people who actually run extra programs, I believe most got the programs/network drivers/etc from here. If there's another site that has the number, diversity, and quality of hacks, I am unaware of it. There are simply some super-sharp folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    With all due respect to JJ, unregistered guests here cannot download anything, and therefore have to register to get most any hack here.
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Msnark was reffering to the downloads that happen at HIS site.

Obviously mfstools 2.0 and killhdinetrd / lba48 kernels are the exception, but for those people who actually run extra programs, I believe most got the programs/network drivers/etc from here. If there's another site that has the number, diversity, and quality of hacks, I am unaware of it. There are simply some super-sharp folks here.
    What in gods name are you EVER talking about?!?!

Your post has nothing to do with this thread OR my post. Masnark asked a question that I gave information about. YOU added that unregistered guests at dealdatabase cannot download anything! Why? What question or topic does that response address? You then discussed that somehow mfstools 2.0 and killhdinetrd [sic] are the exception.. TO WHAT?

Then you comment on the quality of dealdatabase. WHY? I mean, it's nice, but, so what?

Please try to keep threads on topic.

With all due respect to JJ, unregistered guests here cannot download anything, and therefore have to register to get most any hack here.
    Not true. Just about every hack discussed here is available for download at other sites, mostly supported and endorsed by members here. Here's one of the most widely known sites:

http://www.pvrfiles.com/lsitr/
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    He's responding to your comment "assuming that 90% of the views that the forums here get are from non-registered readers", pointing out why that's probably an overestimate. Chill.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    http://www.pvrfiles.com/lsitr/
    404. And then I go to the top level... it says "please link to the main page only as I reserve the right to move things around for no apparent reason."
    Last edited by TheWickedPriest; 11-05-2004 at 02:19 PM.

What a prickish response. It made perfect sense to me. What's up your ass, daddy mod?

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    Msnark was reffering to the downloads that happen at HIS site.

What in gods name are you EVER talking about?!?!

Your post has nothing to do with this thread OR my post. Masnark asked a question that I gave information about. YOU added that unregistered guests at dealdatabase cannot download anything! Why? What question or topic does that response address? You then discussed that somehow mfstools 2.0 and killhdinetrd [sic] are the exception.. TO WHAT?

Then you comment on the quality of dealdatabase. WHY? I mean, it's nice, but, so what?

Please try to keep threads on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWickedPriest
    He's responding to your comment "assuming that 90% of the views that the forums here get are from non-registered readers", pointing out why that's probably an overestimate. Chill.
    Um. No. 90% of the views here are from unregistered users. And his commentary does nothing to point out that viewpoint or opinion, neither does yours.

I responded to snowman, yet you were able to answer for him. How long have you had this clairvoyance?

Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes
    What a prickish response. It made perfect sense to me. What's up your ass, daddy mod?
    Banned. Come back later.

404. And then I go to the top level... it says "please link to the main page only as I reserve the right to move things around for no apparent reason."
    The link was apparently moved after I posted it. It does say that the owner has the right to move things around so I guess he simply exercised it. Here's the updated link:

http://www.pvrfiles.com/icsat/

If you still get the 404 just link back to the home page and it should provide an updated link.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    The link was apparently moved after I posted it. It does say that the owner has the right to move things around so I guess he simply exercised it.
    Maybe because he asked very nicely on the main page for folks NOT to link directly to the download page.

Maybe because he asked very nicely on the main page for folks NOT to link directly to the download page.
    How right you are, JJ. I didn't see that posted until after I saw the 404 response to my posted link. Doh!

JJ, my point simply was that while 90% of the page views here may indeed be from non-logged in users, to USE much of the information here on hand-hacking (vs packaged deals), one must register to download the files.

Some people have cookie-wipers and only log into a site when they are performing a function they NEED. It is therefore my contention that the the math I inferred from your post (9 out of every 10 "users" aren't registered), making 23,000 into 230,000, doesn't actually seem realistic. I was pointing out that since only 23,000 roughly can download, that it is a more realistic number IMHO. That goes DIRECTLY to the subject of the post "How many Tivo hackers/modders are there". Since running something like Sleeper's ISO doesn't make one a hacker or a modder, since IT does the hacking, not the person at the keyboard, 23,000 from this site seems (to me) to be the correct number.

To try to explain to you where I am coming from, I'm on a DTivo. That means 1) I have no network drivers... I have to get them. Where? Well, ADH did the backporting for usb2 drivers and that seems like the best route. To my knowledge, they aren't available elsewhere. Without network drivers, I've got a stock tivo that has callerID added. 2) Busybox 1.00. I am guessing that Alphawolf did all the changing/recompiling for MIPS and posted here only. Again, I haven't gone looking since it's here.

It sounded from the tone of your message that you were looking for a fight. I'm obviously not the only one who felt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    JJ, my point simply was that while 90% of the page views here may indeed be from non-logged in users, to USE much of the information here on hand-hacking (vs packaged deals), one must register to download the files.
    <sigh> One more time. There are plenty of places to get the files associated with TiVo hacking. Moreover, tivo hacking is NOT about downloading files, and not EVERY tivo hacker has a Series 2 or even a DTivo. Believe it or not, some even went to the store and bought a book on it. Who'd have thought? Reading about something you wanted to do and not looking at a forum, much less this specific forum. It could happen you know.

It is therefore my contention that the the math I inferred from your post (9 out of every 10 "users" aren't registered), making 23,000 into 230,000, doesn't actually seem realistic.
    No, not at all. That's why I didn't say 9 out of every 10 users - I said views; appropriately choosing my words carefully to avoid the niggling. If you inferred users, that was your error. Since non-registered users are able to read (and not post - mind you) all of the content here, they are free to read as much as they want. And, by the way, most do. This reading (and not posting) generates multiple views as calculated by the most generic hit meters. It's possible that to assuage the more pedantic amongst us, I should have used the term "impressions".

Downloading files from dealdatabase does not make you a tivo hacker. Hacking your tivo does. The only thing you can assume from any of the information that I have given you or postulated is that there are DEFINITELY more then 23,000 tivo hackers in the world. For those that cannot grasp this, you should infer that there are a minimum of 23,000 individuals interested in hacking their Tivo. Why isn't this clear? This is the ONLY information that Masnark wanted to know. I think the information was clear enough for him in the original thread.

I was pointing out that since only 23,000 roughly can download, that it is a more realistic number IMHO.
    Still no. That is a MINIMUM number, just as I alluded to.

Since running something like Sleeper's ISO doesn't make one a hacker or a modder, since IT does the hacking, not the person at the keyboard,
    Neither does downloading hacks and running predesigned utilities/scripts from this forum, but let's not get too wrapped up in semantics.

It sounded from the tone of your message that you were looking for a fight. I'm obviously not the only one who felt that way.
    Some foks just want to be contrary and confrontational. Ya know...