Thread: telnet and file transfer

telnet and file transfer

can i transfer files to my tivo through a telnet session... i tried zmodem and that didnt seem to work??.. but now that i think about it i think i was using the tivosh shell... is there some trick someone could give me for doing this??? i cant seem to figure it out, thanks!
    -= Glitched =-

make sure you have write access to the partition...

but zmodem should work if i do have write access???
    -= Glitched =-

zmodem worked... thanks
    -= Glitched =-

What was the problem?!?!?!
    (so others can use the information when utilizing the SEARCH fuction like I know everybody does *before* posting a new question!)

zeek

it was a user problem ....i just didnt do something, i think i used just send file instead of zmodem transfer... DOH!!
    -= Glitched =-

Transfer files from DirecTivo

Do you know how to transfer files from the tivo to the pc using the bash prompt?

I am trying to download and modify TClient-lib.itcl.

i tried to do that but never could get it to work. I had to download the version of JOE compiled for the power pc, and just send that to the tivo, and modify TClient-lib.itcl using joe on the tivo through a bash prompt.
    -= Glitched =-

OK, here's the deal

sz = Send zModem
    rz = Receive zModem

therefore to transfer a file from your tivo to PC using zmodem, you simply would do a "sz <filename>" at your tivo's bash prompt. Your terminal program should automatically pick up the zmodem start command and initiate the transfer.

to send a file from your PC to your tivo you need to do "rz <filename>" at your tivo bash prompt..you will see a few weird characters, those are called zmodem control characters, simply instruct your terminal program to send a file using zmodem protocol...make sure if your terminal program supports zmodem with crash recovery, TURN IT OFF...tivo dont like crash recovery...just send plain ol zmodem.

Windows Hyperterminal provideds all the basic goodies to send/receive files from tivo.

-Putting my BBS skills back to good use!

howto's

several howto's already exist on this kind of stuf. Anyone who likes to cooperate in setting up a howto site (like contribute a howto written in detail)
    pm me.