Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insert Video into a Tivo?

Insert Video into a Tivo?

Does anyone know how to put video that did not come from a tivo on to a tivo.

for example I have a AVI file that I would like to play on my TV through tivo.

I have a RCA DVR40. I'm assuming I need to convert it to some type of MPEG 2 format and then rename the .mpg to a .ty and then compress it in a .tmf file and msf_ftp it up to the tivo.

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.

there are no (public) tools for this. you can kindof do this by taking a mpeg2 video and audio stream and using cat along with /dev/mpeg0a and /dev/mpeg0v but no one has made a program to make ty streams.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbalm
    Does anyone know how to put video that did not come from a tivo on to a tivo.

for example I have a AVI file that I would like to play on my TV through tivo.

I have a RCA DVR40. I'm assuming I need to convert it to some type of MPEG 2 format and then rename the .mpg to a .ty and then compress it in a .tmf file and msf_ftp it up to the tivo.

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.
    Can't be done (at least publically)

i was just looking for similar info. i understand how to move a .ty file from my pc on to a tivo, im just wondering if there are any tools to convert various formats to .ty

I too would like to find a way to do this. I have a coupla series that for some reason I missed an episode and would like to be able to add an episode I have acquired onto the TiVo with the other eps. I know the video quality would probly be crap, but it would be nice nonetheless.
    Last edited by TiVoTweakr; 11-16-2004 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiVoTweakr
    I too would like to find a way to do this. I have a coupla series that for some reason I missed an episode and would like to be able to add an episode I have acquired <cough>Bit Torrent</cough> onto the TiVo with the other eps. I know the video quality would probly be crap, but it would be nice nonetheless.
    OK, what part of "We don't discuss anything that could be considered theft of service" don't you understand? Yes, it might be nice, it also could bring lots of heat on Vadim. He's a nice guy, we don't want that.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    OK, what part of "We don't discuss anything that could be considered theft of service" don't you understand? Yes, it might be nice, it also could bring lots of heat on Vadim. He's a nice guy, we don't want that.

PlainBill

What does this have to do with "theft of service"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are simply asking if it is possible to upload a video TO the TiVo for convenience. How does that classify as theft of service?

I have an episode that for some reason my TiVo SP didn't catch. I would like to upload it TO the TiVo so that I can watch it in sequence with the other episodes instead of having to watch eps 1-7 on the TiVo and my 52" TV, ep 8 on my small laptop screen, and then back to the TiVo and 52" for eps 9+. What is wrong with THAT?!

Exchanging shows on a P2P service is copyright infringement.

If you do it, don't brag about it here. It makes us all look like pirates (not a good idea when we're talking about "noscramble patches" and bypassing signature checks).

actually i was simply asking about converting a .mpg or other format to .ty. if you're interested in uploading .ty files back to the tivo, do a search on media server on this website. it falls under the category of "way too cool".

i need to convert .wmv back to .ty because i used etivo to pull content off the tivo when i had a smaller drive and it auto reencoded it to .wmv. i'd like to be able to reencode back to .ty.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Exchanging shows on a P2P service is copyright infringement.

If you do it, don't brag about it here. It makes us all look like pirates (not a good idea when we're talking about "noscramble patches" and bypassing signature checks).

Okay. I understand where you are coming from, and I edited my post (I don't want to get the forum in any hot water), but in no way do I agree that d/l'g a show which was supposed to have been TiVo'd and on my TiVo to watch at my leisure is infringing on copyrights. I don't plan on burning the show to CD or DVD and will delete it after I watch it one time like I do all of the other shows. It just didn't get recorded for some reason (I have had problems with SPs not recording and when I go to Recording History it says someone changed the SP, although that never happened. I suspect it is something to do with TiVoWeb).

Now I understand that the *****s in Hollywood might disagree, but they (and the morons who sign no-talents like Britney Spears, the Crackstreet Boys, and Enema, and then lament about the lack of CD sales) stopped dealing in reality years ago! We'll save that for another discussion..

My question was if there was a way to put a show that would have been on my TiVo anyway, but didn't get recorded for some reason. It is a matter of convenience which is why I bought the TiVo in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by TiVoTweakr
    Okay. I understand where you are coming from, and I edited my post (I don't want to get the forum in any hot water), but in no way do I agree that d/l'g a show which was supposed to have been TiVo'd and on my TiVo to watch at my leisure is infringing on copyrights.
    I can guarantee that nobody on the P2P networks has permission to redistribute mpegs of anything you see on network TV. Ergo, it is copyright infringement.

Is it morally wrong to download a show you missed? Probably not. Should it be illegal to download a show transmitted over the public's airwaves? Probably not. But we are in no position to fight that battle. We will concentrate on what we do best (hacking) and leave the legal wrangling up to the EFF's lawyers.

The point that bears remembering is this: Fox might be only mildly disturbed to learn that you had downloaded last week's episode of 'King of the Hill' (to choose a program at random) and uploaded it unedited to your Tivo, just so you could watch it and complete your collection.

However, the same software and techniques would also allow someone to aquire, edit, and upload "The Year's Big Ticket PPV event, Coming Soon to DVD at only $50.00". And there would be a great deal of interest in both preventing that from happening, and in exploiting the opportunity. And being in the middle of that conflict would be a very unplesant place to be.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I don't in theory, disagree with either of you. This is the fine line that technology and the copyright holders (CRH) will be walking for years to come. The CRH's want everyone to believe that technology in the hands of the common man is too dangerous to commerce and therefore would like it if no one had anything more advanced than the old 1960's big-as-a-Volkswagon-Beetle B&W reel-to-reel VTRs. That is of course unacceptable to the rest of us!

Thing is, there are a gaggle of companies waiting to cash in on this technology and the nets could even wise up and offer d/ls and streams of the week's shows for those who missed it for a small charge and people like me would pay it. The key word however is "small!"

Now .. I'll stop 'kicking this dog' 'cause I know it is contrary to the purpose of this forum. I actually didn't understand why the original post above referred to copyright infringement. Now I know where you were coming from. However, my original reason for jumping into this thread was purely a desire to make it possible for convenience and a desire to watch all of the shows in sequence at the same time on the same TV.
    Last edited by TiVoTweakr; 11-16-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Sounds like this thread would be better if people were talking about a way to insert home movies into their tivo's.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    Sounds like this thread would be better if people were talking about a way to insert home movies into their tivo's.

To be honest with you that is what I was thinking when I started this Post. seeing how my Tivo is just Digital VCR. I mean I can transfer my VHSC tapes to normal VHS tapes and now to DVD's.

I used to be able to put home movies on my standalone Tivo. I just wish I could do it with my Dtivo. If it is possible to store them on my DTivo then I'm interested in that.

Otherwise if it's not possible, then can we close this thread, because we all know that P2P and redistributing anything to anyone but yourself is illegal. I think it's clearly defined in the 1996 Telecommunications Act signed by Clinton. But I'm sure that good old Bush will probably change that.
    Last edited by badgerbalm; 11-16-2004 at 11:14 PM.