Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: s2_unscramble - Unscramble for Series 2

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambleThis
    By popular request, from the ScrambleThis Labs, we present unscramble for Series 2 TiVo boxes.
    Your timing couldn't have been better! I had to replace my drive, and didn't have time to rehack my system before I needed to record a show I had been waiting for. I had just resigned myself to grabbing it via video capture, when you made your post. Unscrambling (and extraction) were flawless.

Thanks again!
    HR10-250, 6.3e, HMO/HME, etc
    HR21
    DVR80, 6.2, hacked, MRV, etc, networked via a hacked WST54GS
    DVR39, upgraded to 250 hours - 3.1.1b 4.0.1b 3.1.1e 6.2, now MRV-only due to a bad sat2 decoder
    2x Hacked XBox for XBMC
    Running Linux since '93.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    For those interested in running this on 4.01b, here's a kernel compiled with gcc 3.0 from the TiVo-4.0-linux-2.4 sources. It's got the fpu patch, the lba48 patch, the s2-unscramble patch, and CONFIG_FILTER and CONFIG_NETFILTER are turned off. I use it with TiVo software version 4.0.1b on a S2 SA.
    Jamie,

I don't want to make any assumptions... so I'll ask just to make sure I don't screw something up. I've got a S2 DTV Tivo (Hughes SD-DVR40) running 4.01b.

Can I safely install this on my box? Is it as simple as replacing the current vmlinux.px file?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman24
    Jamie,

I don't want to make any assumptions... so I'll ask just to make sure I don't screw something up. I've got a S2 DTV Tivo (Hughes SD-DVR40) running 4.01b.

Can I safely install this on my box? Is it as simple as replacing the current vmlinux.px file?

Thanks in advance!
    Not Jamie, but...Since you're running 4.x on a RID unit, this means you are already monte'ing, and as such, yes, all you have to do is replace the current vmlimux.px file you are monte'ing into with the one Jamie has attached.

edit:
    that kernel will not work with rid boxes
    Last edited by rc3105; 01-05-2005 at 03:41 AM.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    Not Jamie, but...Since you're running 4.x on a RID unit, this means you are already monte'ing, and as such, yes, all you have to do is replace the current vmlimux.px file you are monte'ing into with the one Jamie has attached.
    You minor point: because I turned off CONFIG_FILTER, this kernel won't work with DHCP. You have to assign a static IP address. Eventually I'll update the post with one that has CONFIG_FILTER back on, since, as ADH observed, CONFIG_FILTER doesn't seem to affect performance the way CONFIG_NETFILTER does.

{Edit: this kernel *will not* work with RID boxes}
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-05-2005 at 11:47 AM.

For those interested in running this on 4.01b, here's a kernel compiled with gcc 3.0 from the TiVo-4.0-linux-2.4 sources. It's got the fpu patch, the lba48 patch, the s2-unscramble patch, and CONFIG_FILTER and CONFIG_NETFILTER are turned off. I use it with TiVo software version 4.0.1b on a S2 SA.
    but does it have the uma6 patch that rocketman24 needs?

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    nope. ....
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-05-2005 at 03:09 AM.

Jamie,

Thanks in advance!
    to answer your question - no, that kernel build doesn't work with rid dtivos

Thanks for the heads up. I really thought when I posted my question I was being over cautious... glad I asked.

Anyway, I assigned static IP to my box... so that part won't be problem. I'll wait to find one that's compatible for my box.

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    Dang. Didn't think about that. Sorry for the mis-information.
    Last edited by JohnSorTivo; 01-05-2005 at 09:59 AM.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

Thanks for the heads up. I really thought when I posted my question I was being over cautious... glad I asked.

Anyway, I assigned static IP to my box... so that part won't be problem. I'll wait to find one that's compatible for my box.
    If there is demand, and if the uma6 patch is readily available, I can build a unscramble kernel that also includes it and the other patches Riley listed here. I don't have a rid unit though, so I can't really test it.

{edit: I've got all the right patches and built a test kernel. I'll test it on my non rid hardware, and if it works I'll replace the one above with this uma6 friendly version.}
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-05-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Here's a 2.4.18 unscramble kernel that may work on 4.0 rid boxes. I first applied "bigpatch-2.4.18.patch" from here, then applied the ide-disk.c.unscramble.diff patch posted by ScrambleThis. I also turned off CONFIG_NETFILTER (but not CONFIG_FILTER). Note that you need a fuzz of 3 or more (-F3) to apply the ide-disk patch to the 4.0 TiVo kernel.

I tested this on my S2SA. I don't have a rid box. If someone tries this on a 4.0 RID box and it works for you, please PM me (no need to post), and I'll update the kernel posted earlier in the thread and mark it as ok for RID.

{Update: mmoore99 reports that this kernel works fine on his RID SDVR-80, though he didn't try unscrambling anything.}
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-05-2005 at 05:56 PM.

Here's a 2.4.18 unscramble kernel that may work on 4.0 rid boxes.
    Jamie, is it ok to use this kernel in conjunction with the tivoapp "superpatch" since it also disables scrambling?

Quote Originally Posted by mmoore99
    Jamie, is it ok to use this kernel in conjunction with the tivoapp "superpatch" since it also disables scrambling?
    The kernel patch discussed in this thread provides a mechanism for unscrambling existing scrambled shows. The tivoapp "superpatch" (really the nocso patch) is a patch that allows new shows to be recorded without scrambling. The two serve different purposes.

The only known conflict between the two (to me anyway) is that shows that you unscramble with the unscramble kernel may continue to have cso keys set for them in their metadata. This can cause playback problems if you don't clear the cso keys. Search for ciphercheck and csoscout for ways to deal with this.

Jaime, this is what I have in my serial output when testing on a sd-dvr40 (RID)

## MIPS ## arch-specific shell functions defined
    starting test.conf
    starting /init/001_bash.init
    starting /init/010_lba48.init
    bash: no job control in this shell
    bash-2.02# Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
    /init/kmonte.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0
    while this kernel is version 2.4.20
    monte: Two-kernel Monte for MIPS (Version 0.1)
    monte: MuscleNerd (MIPS version), Erik Arjan Hendriks (x86 version)
    monte: Operation not permitted
    monte failed - starting bash on the serial port
    bash: no job control in this shell

EDIT: Just as a followup I have a kill'd 3.1.1c installed to the boot partitions.
    Last edited by rbreding; 01-05-2005 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Quote Originally Posted by rbreding
    bash-2.02# Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
    /init/kmonte.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0
    while this kernel is version 2.4.20
    It appears to me that your boot kernel (the one installed in /dev/hda3 or /dev/hda6) is a 2.4.20 kernel. Perhaps from 3.1.5? You should be using the 3.1.1c killhdinitrd kernel, but it appears you are not.

This is before you are even getting to the point where you'd monte to the kernel I built.

Did you have a working monte setup before? What else did you change?