Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: s2_unscramble - Unscramble for Series 2

I installed the custom kernel (vmlinux.px.3.1.5x) and used the killhdinitrd and the
    "rc.sysinit.real" approach (using the vmlinux.px (3.1.5) from the ptvlba48-4[1].02DD.iso
    and I rebooted just fine, but I have lost all connectivity to the Tivo, I cannot get an IP from it at all. What happened? Am I hosed, do I have to pull the drive and rehack it with the ptvnet software all over again?!? And if so, I lose my recordings, right? AAARGH! Please help. Thanks!

Ok looks like this has happened to someone before, so based on that I am buying a serial cable for the tivo (from Tivo Store) and I'll see if I can Telnet into it with serial and reset the rc.sysinit. Question is, do I need anything to get that serial connection to work? Is there a link to getting telnet through serial cable somewhere? How do I get an address so when I open the telnet session I have a place to go to (sicne I used to put in the IP address, now what do I put in, the serial port address?)
    Last edited by koosh; 09-23-2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by tivospace View Post
    Just got it to work. The problem was the netconfig.tcl had never been run so the variables weren't initialized. Once the net constants were created then everything started to work right with the monted system.

In case someone else with PTVNet hits this, netconf.tcl is in the /PTVUpgrade/bin folder.

Now onto figuring out why I time-out trying to get the ty directory listing with FileZilla.
    How do you run the netconfig.tcl? Do you edit it or just run it? Can you elaborate on this process please? I'm stuck with a unscramble, I've lost network access and am about to try to get tenet through a serial cable, but need to know what to do from there to re-enable the ethernet. I have a DSR708 hacked with ptvnet and a Netgear FA120 ehternet-USB adapter. Thanks!

Run netconfig with arguments. You can just stick it in your rc.sysinit.author. tivosh /path/to/netconfig.tcl $tivoip $subnetmask $dns $routerip
    I'd be willing to bet you were using dhcp before. I believe it's broken with this kernel. Switch to static ip.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    Run netconfig with arguments. You can just stick it in your rc.sysinit.author. tivosh /path/to/netconfig.tcl $tivoip $subnetmask $dns $routerip
    I'd be willing to bet you were using dhcp before. I believe it's broken with this kernel. Switch to static ip.
    I have no netconfig.tcl file int he ptvupgrade fodler specified. But I did finally got in with the serial cable (Hyperterminal had to be set to 9600 8-N-1 but with Xon/Xoff handshake to get the BASH prompt) and I reset the rc.sysinit back to the original file, so now I have net access. So now I guess to set it to a static IP address, or stop while I'm ahead and forget about unscrambling the existing recordings before I cause more damage. ;-) Thanks for the help everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by koosh View Post
    I have no netconfig.tcl file int he ptvupgrade fodler specified.
    Find netconfig.tcl here.

Attached is a Series 2 unscramble kernel compiled from 7.2 source. It was built using information borrowed from jamie, here and here, and was patched with the ide-disk.c.unscramble.diff that ScrambleThis provided.

This kernel has been running on my HR10-250 (6.3e) and DSR708 (6.2a) for a while now with no apparent issues. I have only tested the actual unscramble process on my HR10-250, and it worked fine, for both extraction and in-place unscrambling methods.

This kernel won't boot directly on your tivo unless you've replaced your PROM. If you haven't hacked your PROM you'll need to use monte. link, link

Worksforme, Use at your own risk, yada, yada, yada... If it breaks your tivo, you own both pieces.
    Last edited by jt1134; 01-15-2008 at 06:22 AM.

jt1134: Wow, this looks like a lot of work. Thanks for doing this and sharing.

Just to make sure I understand, I can replace the current kernel on my HR10-250 (6.3e) and run the unscramble procedure without having to monte or perform any of the other traditional pre-requisites?

Does the DHCP-enabled kernel ignore the settings made by netconfig.tcl, or does DHCP only work when there are no netconfig.tcl settings?

Thanks!

Monte is still required unless you've replaced your PROM. Custom built kernels won't boot directly on an unmodified box. Your network settings won't be affected unless you change them, it's just that with this kernel DHCP will work properly if you want to use it.
    Last edited by jt1134; 11-04-2007 at 03:41 PM.

I have found myself in a situation where I need to use this, because I ran into some problems when I did a slicer upgrade from 3.1.5f -> 6.3c and wasn't able to get into the Tivo for a few weeks and re-apply the nocso patch.

I had never monte'd anything before and was looking for a good step-by-step. I found this guide:
    http://www.dvrpedia.com/Unencrypt/Un...ing_Recordings

And wanted to post it here to help out some other people who might be a little daunted by the steps involved the first time through.

9.x In-Place Unscramble

Here's a tcl snippet I used to help unscramble some recordings on a 9.1 box. It replaces kcso.tcl which is not applicable in sw > 8.x. The rest of the unscramble process is the same. Just a few extra values to nuke. If you do not know what to do with this then do not use it. It can destroy your recordings if used improperly.

Code:
    #!/tvbin/tivosh
    set showFsid [lindex $argv 0]
    set db [dbopen]
    itrans start
       set rec [db $db openidconstruction $showFsid]
       set drm1 [dbobj $rec get Drm]
       dbobj $drm1 remove Signature
       dbobj $drm1 set SignatureType 0
       set parts [dbobj $rec get Part]
       foreach part $parts {
          set drm2 [dbobj $part get Drm]
          dbobj $drm2 remove Signature
          dbobj $drm2 set SignatureType 0
          dbobj $drm2 remove MediaEncryptionKey
          dbobj $drm2 set MediaEncryptionKeyType 0
       }
    itrans commit
    dbclose $db
    Last edited by jt1134; 01-15-2008 at 06:17 AM.

I compiled a 8.1.1-Gen05 kernel with the ide-disk.c.unscramble.diff patch applied but I never saw anything in the kernel log.

Is it supposed to work for series 3 as well?

deleted.

zdude
    Last edited by zdude; 03-26-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: mistakenly responded to very old message....

Quote Originally Posted by laurent View Post
    I compiled a 8.1.1-Gen05 kernel with the ide-disk.c.unscramble.diff patch applied but I never saw anything in the kernel log.

Is it supposed to work for series 3 as well?
    Hm...I would also be interested in knowing if this can be made to work on the new Gen05/Gen06 platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    Hm...I would also be interested in knowing if this can be made to work on the new Gen05/Gen06 platforms.
    I'll be trying it soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    I'll be trying it soon enough.
    Any progress on this?
    .-=Omikron=-.

TiVo Series4 Premiere Development HERE

Do you have a PROM related question? Check HERE and HERE before sending me a PM. Any questions that have already been answered will be deleted if sent via PM.