Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: n00b questions before ordering DTV...

Quote Originally Posted by dalesd
    This is some good discussion. Thanks guys!

I was so focused on what to order, that I had overlooked the installation istelf. I think I know what I need to order, so now I better think about installation some more.

I know where I want the main TV to go (in the livingroom, on the first floor). The 'second' tv/TiVo, I don't know. I'm thinking that will go in the livingroom too. I'll hook up the receiver to the 2nd input on the TV.

So, if I have two D*Tivos in the same location, I'll have 4 coax cables running from the triple-LNB dish (with built-in multi-switch) probably located on the roof, to that location, correct?

I need to think about how I want those cables routed through the house. Ideally, I think, I want them to run from the dish on the roof, down the side of the house, into the basement, and then from there I can send them inside the wall up to the 1st floor living room. I'd rather have them come up and through the wall, in a nice wall plate thingy, and not cut a hole in my hardwood floors.

I don't expect basic installation to do all this for free. I'll have to ask the installer how much this would cost, and weigh that against my time and abilities.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track?
    Depending on how handy you are, you might have the installer put one set of lines into the basement so that you can do a 'proper' inwall installation.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    I would suggest locating the second receiver in a second room, choosing the location based on practicality of rerouting the cables to the living room, AND the likelyhood of using the second receiver there.
    Interesting point. My second choice would be the guest bedroom/den, which shares a wall with the livingroom, the same wall the TV is against.

In my experience, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you and you wife will always want to watch the same show.
    We've been doing it this way for a number of years. It works for us.

There have been countless discussions of installers. It is possible the installer will agree to do a neat installation, running cables through the walls, etc. It is just as likely he will insist on attaching the dish to the wall outside the living room and running the cable straight through the wall.

PlainBill
    I'm beginning to think I should have the installer run the wires to the basement, with extra length, and then I'll send them up to each room myself.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    Depending on how handy you are, you might have the installer put one set of lines into the basement so that you can do a 'proper' inwall installation.

ew
    Yeah, what he said!

danger

Normally they should install run a double cable to the TiVo and a single to the standard receiver. All he has to do is get the installer to run that extra cable.

PlainBill
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but here I go.... Maybe I've been living in the CableTV world for too long.

I order the 2-room package with the Tivo and the standard reciever (and try to get the installer to run the extra cable). Then at some later date I can call DirecTV and de-activate the standard reciever and replace it with the DVR39. What do I do with the standard reciever? Do I own it? Do I have to return it? Can I sell it? Smash it with a hammer?

Now I'm looking at SolidSignal.com, particularly their build your own system area. I can get two Samsung SIR-4080R receivers for ~$100 shipped, minus a $50 rebate = $50 installed. (Maybe two $50 rebates? that would make it free.) It's only $40 more than getting a standard reciever. Assuming the $40 isn't an issue, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

If I should order the regular receiver, does it matter which one I get? They have the "HUGHES-DIRECTV Director Pack Satellite Receiver (SD-HBH)" or the "D10"?

I hate to beat a dead horse, but here I go.... Maybe I've been living in the CableTV world for too long.

I order the 2-room package with the Tivo and the standard reciever (and try to get the installer to run the extra cable). Then at some later date I can call DirecTV and de-activate the standard reciever and replace it with the DVR39. What do I do with the standard reciever? Do I own it? Do I have to return it? Can I sell it? Smash it with a hammer?
    Most of the above. You own it. You could try to sell it, hit it witha hammer, or use it as a doorstop.

Now I'm looking at SolidSignal.com, particularly their build your own system area. I can get two Samsung SIR-4080R receivers for ~$100 shipped, minus a $50 rebate = $50 installed. (Maybe two $50 rebates? that would make it free.) It's only $40 more than getting a standard reciever. Assuming the $40 isn't an issue, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

If I should order the regular receiver, does it matter which one I get? They have the "HUGHES-DIRECTV Director Pack Satellite Receiver (SD-HBH)" or the "D10"?
    The only problem with the two Samsung receivers is they are RID - no folders until the bounty reaches $5000 or someone else develops the hack. Or you could replace one with the other DirecTiVo, but then would have to explain to DirecTV why you did the swap. And then sell the extra DirecTiVo - probably for more than $40.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

The only problem with the two Samsung receivers is they are RID - no folders until the bounty reaches $5000 or someone else develops the hack. Or you could replace one with the other DirecTiVo, but then would have to explain to DirecTV why you did the swap. And then sell the extra DirecTiVo - probably for more than $40.

PlainBill
    You think DirecTV would care that I'm switching them out?
    Maybe I'll tell them: "I got it from a friend who doesn't need it anymore because he switched to cable. He put a big hard drive in it. I'd never be able to do something like that..."

You think DirecTV would care that I'm switching them out?
    Maybe I'll tell them: "I got it from a friend who doesn't need it anymore because he switched to cable. He put a big hard drive in it. I'd never be able to do something like that..."
    Nahh, take the easy way out. Tell them the old one died, and this is your replacement.

I wouldn't volunteer information about a friend "upgrading" it. Thats more likely to get unwanted attention.