Thread: Help after Sleeper ISO!

Help after Sleeper ISO!

I ran the full Monte from the sleeper ISO. everything went without a hitch, i installed it on a brand new 140 gb hdd. The tivo started up, everything was there, and it records new shows just fine. i can rewind fast-forward and pause live tv. but everytime i try to play a recorded show, it doesnt start, just skips to the end and asks if i want to keep or delete, then it says error playing back recording, there was no signal on the channel you tried to record. I plugged the regular hdd back in and its still doing it. i checked threads and have not seen any similar problems. does anyone have any suggestions??
    thanks for reading!
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by TEKJester
    I ran the full Monte from the sleeper ISO. everything went without a hitch, i installed it on a brand new 140 gb hdd. The tivo started up, everything was there, and it records new shows just fine. i can rewind fast-forward and pause live tv. but everytime i try to play a recorded show, it doesnt start, just skips to the end and asks if i want to keep or delete, then it says error playing back recording, there was no signal on the channel you tried to record. I plugged the regular hdd back in and its still doing it. i checked threads and have not seen any similar problems. does anyone have any suggestions??
    thanks for reading!
    Justin
    In a phrase - kmem hack to prevent scrambling. I suggest you read the first three pages of the support thread. If that doesn't answer your questions, fill out the trouble report form.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Edit your rc.sysinit.author and put a # in front of the kmem line. While you're at it, put one in front of the 30secondskip line and the sort line.

The problem is, every show you have is encrypted, but kmem turns off encryption so it won't play back. So, you've gotta start cleaning out stuff that you either watch or don't care to see... start with a blank "now showing" list, remove the # from the rc.sysinit.author file and you're set. I THINK the sleeper ISO contained vi (editor). Do a google search on how to use vi (it's not easy) and print them out. You need to know how to insert, exit without changes, and exit while saving changes. If you get it too screwed up, exit without changes and start over.

Best of luck. Also, you'll want to upgrade the ftp daemon to a later version that sets file permissions to 755 rather than 644 on upload.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    Edit your rc.sysinit.author and put a # in front of the kmem line. While you're at it, put one in front of the 30secondskip line and the sort line.
    That's part of the solution.
    The problem is, every show you have is encrypted, but kmem turns off encryption so it won't play back. So, you've gotta start cleaning out stuff that you either watch or don't care to see... start with a blank "now showing" list, remove the # from the rc.sysinit.author file and you're set.
    Wrong solution. There's no need to delete anything. See this thread.

I THINK the sleeper ISO contained vi (editor). Do a google search on how to use vi (it's not easy) and print them out. You need to know how to insert, exit without changes, and exit while saving changes. If you get it too screwed up, exit without changes and start over.

Best of luck. Also, you'll want to upgrade the ftp daemon to a later version that sets file permissions to 755 rather than 644 on upload.

Also a very good idea.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Bill, which thread? The new fix to un-encrypt/re-encrypt? Unfortunately, that hack came out the day I returned one 80 hour unit in favor of another one. Darn the luck .

When I said to remove the # above, I meant the one in front of kmem, not the other two. The 30 sec skip simply doesn't work, and I don't think the sort one does either. The 30 sec skip hack will make your tivo press buttons 5 minutes after a bootup, so you REALLY don't want that.

Bill, which thread? The new fix to un-encrypt/re-encrypt? Unfortunately, that hack came out the day I returned one 80 hour unit in favor of another one. Darn the luck .

When I said to remove the # above, I meant the one in front of kmem, not the other two. The 30 sec skip simply doesn't work, and I don't think the sort one does either. The 30 sec skip hack will make your tivo press buttons 5 minutes after a bootup, so you REALLY don't want that.
    Snowman,

The kmem line should be commented out - or removed completely. The other two hacks you mentioned (30 second skip and sort) do work (at least on 3.1.1x software). I believe there are also tivoapp patches for them.

Read and try to understand this thread: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213; it goes into depth what was touched on by the other thread.

There's been a lot of confusion and bad advice given about unscrambling as handled by Sleeper's TiVoScripts. A lot of it is by people who have no idea what TiVoScripts did - and didn't do.

In a nutshell, if you used TiVoScripts on any S2 DirecTiVo running 3.x software, it would properly disable encryption of new recordings, allowing them to be extracted, and (of course) also play them back. It would NOT allow you to play back recordings made BEFORE TiVoScripts was run. At the time TiVoScripts was released, that was the best option available.

If you used TiVoScripts on any S2 Stand Alone TiVo running 4.x software (or a non-rid DirecTiVo running 4.x software) things were really screwed up. It applied ONLY the patch to disable encryption of new recordings. As a result, you would be able to extract new recordings, but couldn't view them on the TiVo. And you could view old recordings on the TiVo, but couldn't extract them.

About 10 months ago the NoCSO method was developed. I believe AlphaWolf was a major contributor, others also deserve credit. If the NoCSO patch is applied to tivoapp you can record new programs without encryption, AND by running CSOscout.tcl you can also view encrypted recordings. Obviously this is superior to the kmem method. And for whatever reasons, Sleeper never updated TiVoScripts to incorporate it.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    ...AND by running CSOscout.tcl you can also view encrypted recordings. Obviously this is superior to the kmem method. And for whatever reasons, Sleeper never updated TiVoScripts to incorporate it.
    Just to avoid confusion, the CSOscout.tcl script enables you to view shows that were nonencrypted using a no scramble method, such as kmem, prior to AlphaWolf's tivoapp patch. Previously encrypted shows, while not extractable (at least not until a few days ago ), should play fine.
    Last edited by JohnSorTivo; 11-13-2004 at 10:31 PM.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    Just to avoid confusion, the CSOscout.tcl script enables you to view shows that were nonencrypted using a no scramble method, such as kmem, prior to AlphaWolf's tivoapp patch. Previously encrypted shows, while not extractable (at least not until a few days ago ), should play fine.
    Thanks for the correction.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    If you used TiVoScripts on any S2 Stand Alone TiVo running 4.x software (or a non-rid DirecTiVo running 4.x software) things were really screwed up. It applied ONLY the patch to disable encryption of new recordings. As a result, you would be able to extract new recordings, but couldn't view them on the TiVo.
    You COULD view them on the tivo ALSO, if you applied the OTHER part of the patch...

the 'unencrypt AND PLAY whatever you record' tivoapp patch that, was necessary and, corresponded with the kmem hack which was specific to each tivo software version...

these tivoapp patch values are available and were used for months...

Now, however, they're UNNECESSARY!

NoCSO eclipsed them and is better.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 11-14-2004 at 02:07 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1