Thread: Need Help with networking Series 1 DTiVo...

Need Help with networking Series 1 DTiVo...

Well, we finally got DTV locals in my area and I have decided to dust off the old DTiVo and sub to DTV again. I have a Series 1 with a 120G and 80G drive installed with Superzapís 2.5.2 upgrade. The 2.5.2 is a fresh install that I performed about 1 year ago. The DTiVo has been sitting that long

Iíve decided to do it right this time and also connect the TiVo to my network. Iíve done some reading in these forums the last couple of days and have some questions/concerns.

I think Iím going to purchase a TurboNet or a CacheCard and then run the Cat5 cable out of the TiVo cabinet and run it to an external wireless access point. Please let me know if you would advise against this. I decided to go with the TurboNet or CacheCard and the wireless base instead of the AirNet because I donít want to run the unit with the case off and the unit is fairly far from my Cable router/hub. I also decided to go this route because I think I will be able to use 802.11g, and if I understand what I have read here correctly, this will give me greater speeds then are possible with the AirNet. Please correct me if Iím wrong.

Hereís my current network setup. I have a cable modem that came from my cable company. I purchased a Linksys BEFSR11 back when I only had one computer in the house. Since that time I have had to purchase a Linksys 4 port hub in order to connect two other computers.

Iím assuming I can purchase a wireless base unit, plug it into my current hub and then purchase a wireless access point and connect it to my TurboNet or CacheCard at the TiVo. Is this correct?

What wireless base unit would you recommend?

What wireless access point would you recommend?

What is the easiest way to get the network cable out of the DTiVo and to the wireless access point without damaging the case?

I guess the big question is; am I on the best track here or should I rethink my strategy before I make a purchase?

I know this is a long message. Any help would be appreciated.

ThreeIees
    Last edited by ThreeIees; 11-13-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Uh oh, just pulled out my Linksys router manual and see that it says my router is a IEEE 802.3 standard. Not knowing much about networking, does this mean I can not use a 802.11g access point and get the speeds others are getting???

Any advise will help. I think I want a wireless access point with a Cachecard and an exsisting wired router/hub installation.

To get the cable out of the case, I fed it through a hole in the bottom of the case (the air vents) and then crimped a connector on. You have to have a crimper for that to work though. For pre-made cables, I don't know.

I tried using wireless after my turbonet. It worked ok sometimes, but was sporadic. In order for it to work, your wireless device has to support bridging. Not all of them do, so check into that. In general, wireless routers DON'T. Most access points work. Buffalo routers can bridge, but can only do WEP on a bridge. I didn't find that secure enough and returned the equipment. 802.3 is ethernet, so you can connect your turbonet/cachecard to that if you want to.

Remember, you need a wireless access point on BOTH sides of the link, so you need 2 of them. Tivo->AP->Wireless->AP->Network. And the Tivo side AP has to support client mode or they both have to support bridging (WDS). This type of setup is not for the faint of heart and prepare to do a LOT of reading to make it work cleanly and securely. Based on your messages, I'd say you have a lot of learning to do before you attempt this.

As for equipment, most of the brands are about the same. You want the features I mentioned above. You might also try a video game adapter for the Tivo side. Those are Ethernet->Wireless bridges. I don't know if they work with everything or have odd restrictions like only working with an XBox or something though. If they work, it would be eaiser to use one of those than to try to configure a real bridge for someone that has never done this sort of thing before.

ttabbal,

Thanks for the reply. It was helpful.

I think what I might do is purchase a CacheCard and run the wire out of the box as you suggested. A bud of mine has a crimper so I can connect the end once the wire is pulled through the bottom.

I also think I will purchase the following from Linksys. I'm looking for any feedback anyone might have on if the Linksys components will work with the TiVo.

In order to connect my TiVo wirelessly I'll purchase:
    1) WCG200 - Wireless-G Cable Gateway
    This is a wireless unit that will allow me to return my cable modem which I'm paying $10 a month for right now. It also has four ports so I can still hook my computers via cat5.

2) WGA54G - Wireless-G Game Adapter
    This is the only part I'm really unsure about. I sure could use some advice here. I canít find anything else that would connect to the CacheCard and still allow me to go wireless. Will this work or is there a better solution?

Thanks

I was able to cut a hole big enough in the bottom of my Tivo so that I didn't have to crimp a cable. Wireless is not recommend if you want to stream shows off your Tivo and general transfers may take longer than a hard wired connection. It is also much simpler to just run a cable from the Dtivo to your router or another Hub. Going wireless also means that you have to get the wireless bridge to join your new wireless network and sometimes thats not that easy. Its also cheaper to just replace your broadband router with one that is a combo router/wirelessAP than to buy a dedicated AP.
    Last edited by rjc94080; 11-20-2004 at 09:55 PM.

You can install a keystone RJ45 jack on the back panel of the DTivo if you don't mind cutting a hole in the back panel. Get an inexpensive sheet metal nibbler from Radio Shack and drill a couple of starter holes. I use a strip of packing tape in the inside of the rear panel to catch any metal filings so they don't drop onto the mainboard. Use a little common sense when you do the job and it should work fine. You can then use a short RJ45 cable to connect to the cachecard/Turbonet and the RJ45 rear panel jack.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!