Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiros can't play nice with others (split from: Uma6 RID on 4.x Thinktank)

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    For some reason my response was moved here by ADH:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=89
    Si me rogas, potes abire et tu ipse cacare.

for ****s sakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    For some reason my response was moved here by ADH:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=89
    Not even gone a week, and you guys are already tracking shit all over the thread even after I explicity asked that you not. Mods, please delete all post that are opinion oriented.

Tiros, I hope you read this, and let it sink in. Do not post, read, or even participate in this thread unless you are contributing information or your findings in a specific context. I find it very frustrating and disrespectful that you never seem to positively contribute to any thread that you post in; especially after choosing to ignore my poilite and reasonable requests stated in my first post.
    If only I could figure out how to make my TiVo remote work in reality....

Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman
    Not even gone a week, and you guys are already tracking shit all over the thread even after I explicity asked that you not. Mods, please delete all post that are opinion oriented.

Tiros, I hope you read this, and let it sink in. Do not post, read, or even participate in this thread unless you are contributing information or your findings in a specific context. I find it very frustrating and disrespectful that you never seem to positively contribute to any thread that you post in; especially after choosing to ignore my poilite and reasonable requests stated in my first post.
    Who are you?
    What have YOU ever contributed.
    I have reviewed each of your 14 posts and none have any content at all.
    Wow, you tried GetTivoConfig? What a breakthrough!!
    Stop flame baiting, post some info or STFU!
    You have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING nothing to help here.
    Gone a week, still nothing to report, and yet you have time to flame.
    No one asked you to start this thread.
    You are not a mod.
    Last edited by Tiros; 11-14-2004 at 03:12 PM.
    Si me rogas, potes abire et tu ipse cacare.

Non-dev posts split to Sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    Stop flame baiting, post some info or STFU!
    You have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING nothing to help here.
    Gone a week, still nothing to report, and yet you have time to flame.
    This quote speaks for itself.

my one and only post on this matter

Tiro you seem to be missing the point.

What pissed me off is your need to bring the same conspiracy theories into EVERY ****ING THREAD you post in. I haven't done anything publicly, and I rarely post to the boards, but how does that give you just cause to dilute the one thread I got off my ass to start? Instead of bitching about how no-one is publically releasing the solution or how "we shouldn't have to pay for hacks", I started the thinktank thread for dev's to post what they've tried and where it's gotten them. Does me being a greedy/non-publicly releasing developer give you the right to start shit on the thread I started? I have no intention on becoming some sort of "Sleeper"-esque hero (even though I have used and thoroughly enjoyed his ISO of other people's work) in developing a 4.x RID solution, I just want to learn how to create solutions for closed sourced kernel modules in open source systems.

And to think, all of this would have been avoided if just a little bit of consideration had been shown by not submitting any personal or opinion driven posts to the thread. But as you said, who am I to make such an unreasonable request like that...
    If only I could figure out how to make my TiVo remote work in reality....

The lack of impartial moderation is troubling <-- outsider's opinion

It's well known that most of the mods here would rather keep enhancements private than public.

Who's to say they won't quash any free 4.0 on RID development anyway under the guise that it's "unsafe" or "deprecated".

I don't know why someone would choose to start making conspiracy theories against some of the aforementioned mods, if there wasn't any motivation.

Just kickin' some thoughts around --

-Timo
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tbellomo
    mods are people too, impartial is in the eye of the beholder and not neccessarily the goal

It's well known that most of the mods here would rather keep enhancements private than public.
    not necesarily, but we DO all respect the wishes of original authors. if I had say a homebrew version of tivo2go, but the guy that wrote 2/3 of the code it's based on doesn't want that made public, it stays private until I work up the energy to write my own replacement for his modules (or maybe I agree not to EVER release something similiar for a peek at his code - wow has that bitten me in the butt a few times)

Who's to say they won't quash any free 4.0 on RID development anyway under the guise that it's "unsafe" or "deprecated".
    ddb's not the only game in town and the tivo-verse isn't that big. if somebody with ANY credibility sets up a forum / irc / blog and says "come help me out" we couldn't possibly stop them, wouldn't be worth trying even IF we wanted to

*we all know mn could do it if he wanted to invest the time & money

so far the circle of people with that particular knowledge are all in "respect the wishes of the author" mode. "hero's" will be excommunicated with a dull spoon

I don't know why someone would choose to start making conspiracy theories against some of the aforementioned mods, if there wasn't any motivation.

Just kickin' some thoughts around --

-Timo
    who knows, pissed off they don't know where the clubhouse is?

Then you are free to spend your time on TCF. Or AO. Or any of the dozens of other TiVo forums. I am confident that you will find at least one whose moderators you "trust."

If we "quash" your development efforts, you are also free to post your original work elsewhere. The internet is bigger than DDB. And it is this very fact that keeps everyone honest - if a forum suppresses useful information, that forum will quickly fall out of favor and become irrelevant.

Who said there wasn't any motivation?

There is a small group of trolls which attempts to cause as much trouble and stir up as much dissent as possible. Look through the Sewer to identify them, then add them to your ignore list.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 11-15-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Riley, thanks for the clear and cogent response -- I appreciate that. But I still feel as though many of the "elite" (and thus mods) prefer the secrecy because they'd rather not have to re-hack the crap when TiVo add another level of protection.

Then you are free to spend your time on TCF. Or AO. Or any of the dozens of other TiVo forums. I am confident that you will find at least one whose moderators you "trust."
    You're reminding me of the freakin' hick Americans that I have to call my fellow citizens. I'm not trying to start a fight, or anything, but I hate that attitude. If you don't like it, leave! --- Why don't you leave? NOOOO, why don't you leave.

In the end, no one gets anywhere.

I don't think Tiros is as much of a villian as you guys (the mods -- JJBliss/alldeadhomiez in particular) mke him out to be. There's nothing wrong with a dissenting opinion; and honestly, his so-called conspiracy theories really don't seem that outrageous.

"hero's" will be excommunicated with a dull spoon
    Even if the hero does the whole thing himself? Even if he legitimately hacks it? I kind of get the sense that he would be, still, even if it was legitimate

OK, so in summation, this post doesn't really get us anywhere -- does that make me a troll? I don't think it does -- although nothing's resolved, it's not like i'm spewing psyco-babble (disclaimer: "eye of the beholder")

--Timo
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

You're reminding me of the freakin' hick Americans that I have to call my fellow citizens. I'm not trying to start a fight, or anything, but I hate that attitude. If you don't like it, leave! --- Why don't you leave? NOOOO, why don't you leave.

--Timo
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

Hey, I'm just sayin'..... No one is holding you back.
    I'd rather be a killer than a victim.

Wow, this guy thinks he's better than the rest of America. Talk about elitism.

The fact remains that DDB thrives on unencumbered research and development (to the extent permitted by law), and it is in our best interest to allow progress to occur notwithstanding the choices we have made with regard to our own code. If you don't believe us, that is your problem, not ours.

Since you have thus far been unable to furnish a counterexample, I can only assume you are hurting your own credibility far more than you are hurting ours.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 11-15-2004 at 10:13 PM.

pulls out fire extinguisher

Riley, thanks for the clear and cogent response -- I appreciate that. But I still feel as though many of the "elite" (and thus mods) prefer the secrecy because they'd rather not have to re-hack the crap when TiVo add another level of protection.
    eh, there's a little of that. if you got into tivo back when there was no prom or initrd signature checking the current security is VERY annoying - and it's pretty much directly attributable to the extreme iso's

I don't think Tiros is as much of a villian as you guys (the mods -- JJBliss/alldeadhomiez in particular) mke him out to be. There's nothing wrong with a dissenting opinion; and honestly, his so-called conspiracy theories really don't seem that outrageous.
    maybe not, but he's damn annoying at times. mod's a volounteer position so there's not a lot of incentive to put up with baloney. a dozen trolls in one night might have mother teresa using both barrels. we don't need a forum janitor, we need a forum billy goat

Even if the hero does the whole thing himself? Even if he legitimately hacks it? I kind of get the sense that he would be, still, even if it was legitimate
    well, "hero" has been used quite a bit as a put down to describe someone benefitting disproportionatly from other's work

anybody wants to develop an entire project themselves, go for it.

somebody wants to build a killer app or distro w/o checking with the original dev's and that's something else. if the components are gpl that's great, not everything is though. lot of non-programmer type wannabe-hero's don't understand the difference and run with it anyway

OK, so in summation, this post doesn't really get us anywhere -- does that make me a troll? I don't think it does -- although nothing's resolved, it's not like i'm spewing psyco-babble (disclaimer: "eye of the beholder")

--Timo
    heh, true enough. I'll tell you one thing though as someone that used to be a rabble rouser and was told to put up or shut up, I made good & the view's a lot different from this side of the looking glass
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Wow, this guy thinks he's better than the rest of America. Talk about elitism.
    I'm not responding to anything but this quote.

1) Elitism isn't wrong, ADH, and I'm pretty sure you know that's true: what's wrong is unjust elitism. Elitism is just acting appropriate to status. Frankly, the mods are elitist about what should happen on the boards, and that's the right thing for them to do, since they have a higher status here!. If they weren't, the boards wouldn't run properly. Heirarchical systems only work because people act appropriate to their status.

2) What he was saying (and I agree with) is actually not related to elitism though: he was saying that "Love it or Leave It" (which was a roundly criticised slogan from the Vietnam era until recently) isn't a healthy stand. When we tell dissenting opinions to leave, all we do is dilute our ability to create new and creative solutions. If everyone here agrees about everything, eventually something will change which no one will be able to deal with. At the national scale (i.e. about Americans), this means that if we don't encourage lively debate, our ideology will become so stagnant that we'll lose our ability to perform on the global stage. At the DDB scale, this means that its dangerous to discourage people from debating the purposes of release schedules, etc. because it will eventually result in no one releasing anything.

3) I'm not saying I want to read about conspiracy theories excessively, but contrarily I'd get a little conspiratorial myself if i never saw someone disagree with a mod (or other higher-up poster). It just would look suspicious, since no free forum has absolutely no dissent. The trick is to strike a balance, so occasionally people feel the need to pipe up with some disagreement without fear of unbalanced reprisal, but they don't constantly disrupt the work of the board (which is, of course, the exchange of ideas, methods and tools for hacking Tivos).

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    1) Elitism isn't wrong
    Complaining about elitism and then characterizing his fellow citizens as "freakin' rednecks" is a tad ironic..

2) What he was saying (and I agree with) is actually not related to elitism though: he was saying that "Love it or Leave It" (which was a roundly criticised slogan from the Vietnam era until recently) isn't a healthy stand. When we tell dissenting opinions to leave, all we do is dilute our ability to create new and creative solutions. If everyone here agrees about everything, eventually something will change which no one will be able to deal with.
    We aren't anti-dissent; we are anti-troll. Sometimes it's a fine line; other times it's clear that somebody only posts to harass others.

Take a look at the posting histories of the people involved in this thread. Some of them are obviously here to participate; some are obviously here to stir up trouble.

Art Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    3) I'm not saying I want to read about conspiracy theories excessively, but contrarily I'd get a little conspiratorial myself if i never saw someone disagree with a mod (or other higher-up poster).
    Tin foil hats for sale!
    Get your tin foil hats right here!

Step right up. Guaranteed to prevent satellite tracking and stop that incessant ringing in the ears....

/puts on hat.
    I'd rather be a killer than a victim.