Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiros can't play nice with others (split from: Uma6 RID on 4.x Thinktank)

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    eh, there's a little of that. if you got into tivo back when there was no prom or initrd signature checking the current security is VERY annoying - and it's pretty much directly attributable to the extreme iso's
    I can let most things go, but Riley, you JUST were interviewed in an article about Tivo hacking. You talk about keeping things from being too easy and too mainstream, but IMHO, you added to it by being interviewed for such a story.

Yep, danged if you do and danged if you don't. Double-edged sword and to make it even worse, you're a moderator, so you are put under a microscope to boot.

couldn't help myself...

Sorry guys, but Canada is full.

Unless you're a hot female bearing TiVos, that can name the capital cities in atleast 3 of our provinces, Americans need not apply.

But in all honesty guys, I have shared the same opinions from both sides of the štrackš. I've had plenty of issues with the way things are developed, and how the key information needed to help the development was "hidden" from the public eye. Then I started looking outside myself for an answer to why they would be stingy with information, and it became clear - the potential of miss-use. I then looked at a majority of apps I've developed for my TiVo, and aside from my CC environment and iPod hack, everything else is oriented towards evil.

For alot of us new dev's, we think that the elders are being elitists by not sharing their discoveries, but I think the elitists are just covering their behinds. I have yet to see one single development that hasn't been abused. From "heros" to "eBay-scum", it seems as though everyone but the "elitist's" are profiting from their hard work. I know it's an excuse on why I don't release stuff publically. "Why should I release something that the elitist's wouldn't lend any information that would have sped up my development, and that hero's and ebay-scum will go profit off"

Before I waste more time on here procrastinating so I have to finish packing, I think instead of name calling or finger pointing, we have to learn to be mature enough to respect another person's opinion, especially when it conflicts on our own. That being said, it is also the responsibility of the individual with the conflicting opinion to voice it where and when it is appropriate. Don't show up/hijack another person's efforts because you have something to say. This post will probably go unnoticed, but look back on how quickly a thread only concerning Tiros and myself, quickly regressed into another mud-slinging and name calling contest.

Maybe the new quote of DDB should be "play nice, or leave"...
    If only I could figure out how to make my TiVo remote work in reality....

Nice post, soopa.

I never expected anyone to take my "name-calling" seriously... but I guess I shouldn't have started with the whole "hick" analogy in the first place. (though LIOLI still bugs)

A good dose of maturity is in order.

--Timo
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tbellomo
    Guys....

it's a forum SEWER! Inappropriate? come on!
    just FYI - the sewer was meant to put thread crapping, troll posts, etc. it wasnt really meant to be a "well, i am already here, so i can say whatever i want to now" sort of area. hence the subtitle of being a walk of shame
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

everyone wants to say their piece -- that's why the thread continues.
    Example:
    I think he intended to imply that the 50+% of Americans who voted for President Bush are "hicks."

If the birthdate listed in his profile is accurate, I can only assume he is a typical naive college-age liberal who has not yet learned that there are a lot of situations in which it's just plain inappropriate to bring up politics.

Or, he's just trying to be deliberately offensive (i.e. trolling).
    Although I'm being accused of trolling -- ADH continues the thread with a little trolling of his own. It's human nature, I guess.

sewer threads aren't locked because the conversation isn't over. It's just gotten way off topic.

At least that's my interpretation of it -- I accept that I don't make the rules and could very well be wrong.

--Timo
    Last edited by tbellomo; 11-16-2004 at 02:57 PM.
    "If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider your position." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    My recommendation is to stay out of sewer threadds. Though they seem to amuse some, they lower an individuals credibility with the folks that matter. Take the high road. The management has no choice. The posters do.
    Taken from my post above

Originally Posted by JJBliss
    My recommendation is to stay out of sewer threadds. Though they seem to amuse some, they lower an individuals credibility with the folks that matter. Take the high road. The management has no choice. The posters do.
    Which is why I've generally chosen to stay out of them. It's sort of like sitting in the audience of the Jerry Springer Show while the posters are the ones on stage. The mods are just taking the part of Jerry and his band of bouncers while the rest of them just duke it out. I only pray that no one decides to take their clothes off!
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Yeah, but the Jerry Springer show guests were orchestrated by the Jerry Springer Show itself... so -- how's that work...

-Timo

Quote Originally Posted by tbellomo
    Yeah, but the Jerry Springer show guests were orchestrated by the Jerry Springer Show itself... so -- how's that work...

-Timo
    the trolls here seem to coordinate their efforts via email, pm & messenger(s)

*you guys do know the forum logs ip's right?

the trolls here seem to coordinate their efforts via email, pm & messenger(s)

*you guys do know the forum logs ip's right?
    A) I resent that. I'm usually lumped in with the trolls and just because I say something doesn't mean it wasn't my original thought without any input from anyone else. You took special pleasure in kicking me in the nads when I first started posting here, apparantly assuming that I knew someone here already which simply was never the case. However, that experience has only jaded me to treat you the way you treated me.

B) If Vbulletin doesn't allow you to monitor PMs, perhaps you should send them a nastygram. In either case, you can open up the tables in mysql and get the general gist anyway if there's not a control panel way to do it.

C) Anyone wanting to hide their identity needs only to Google for "anonymous proxy" and find list after list (some of which aren't functional). Not to mention, IPs are a dime an octet. Dial up users are almost guaranteed a different one just by hanging up and dialing in. DSL users are the same way. Heck, a simple ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew will usually work wonders.

D) The only thing more plentiful than IP addresses are email accts.

Therefore, the only true logic to be applied here is that you're only going to catch the true *****s that don't try in any way to hide their tracks, in which case, chances are they're only screwing with you in the first place by NOT trying to hide their identity. If someone truly wants to take the time to screw with you, all you can do is close each hole as it opens up or go private completely, which doesn't do much for the number of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    A) I resent that. I'm usually lumped in with the trolls and just because I say something doesn't mean it wasn't my original thought without any input from anyone else. You took special pleasure in kicking me in the nads when I first started posting here, apparantly assuming that I knew someone here already which simply was never the case. However, that experience has only jaded me to treat you the way you treated me.
    huh??? I was responding to tbellmo's question about troll choreography

you got the penalty box only after repeatedly ignoring polite (and not so polite, mea culpa) tips on forum etiquite from the management

B) If Vbulletin doesn't allow you to monitor PMs, perhaps you should send them a nastygram. In either case, you can open up the tables in mysql and get the general gist anyway if there's not a control panel way to do it.
    why the hell would we want to monitor pm's??? who wants to belong to a forum where the mods read private messages??? do you read other's pm's on your fishing site??? <yike!>

C) Anyone wanting to hide their identity needs only to Google for "anonymous proxy" and find list after list (some of which aren't functional). Not to mention, IPs are a dime an octet. Dial up users are almost guaranteed a different one just by hanging up and dialing in. DSL users are the same way. Heck, a simple ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew will usually work wonders.

D) The only thing more plentiful than IP addresses are email accts.

Therefore, the only true logic to be applied here is that you're only going to catch the true *****s that don't try in any way to hide their tracks, in which case, chances are they're only screwing with you in the first place by NOT trying to hide their identity. If someone truly wants to take the time to screw with you, all you can do is close each hole as it opens up or go private completely, which doesn't do much for the number of hits.
    fair enough. same thing can be said for law enforcement, not a lot of rocket scientists in jail

oddly enough, the troll <-> i*d*i*o*t correlation is rather high. *who'd have guessed?

it's enlightening to compare ip's & run infiltration utils against troll addy's, some of them are running sub7 or worse and don't even know it

why the hell would we want to monitor pm's??? who wants to belong to a forum where the mods read private messages??? do you read other's pm's on your fishing site??? <yike!>
    Nope, but there really aren't a lot of legality concerns about fishing. Besides, I don't run Vbulletin. I run open source software.