Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MFS Soapbox Derby: aka what is your download speed?

I have not made any changes to config since I last posted in this thread and now I am getting 2.65-2.7MB/s.
    Some reason the speed has increased by 20%.
    I have no clue as to why....

Is the vwait patch applicable to 6.2 or has anyone applied the patch to a 6.2 system and seen any performance improvements?
    Last edited by edros; 07-01-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Don't kill me I'm just asking

Ive got a phillips 704 6.2 superpatched tivo getting crappy extraction rates!!!

i've completed* what was suggested on page one and they are no better

astrick because i wasn't sure how to do them individually so i did them as best i could. which tells me i prob screwed something up!

could someone help me out and explain each of the suggestions in step one

i'm not asking for a handout ive gotten this far w/o having to ask much but i am stumped.

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyklfreak
    astrick because i wasn't sure how to do them individually so i did them as best i could. which tells me i prob screwed something up!

could someone help me out and explain each of the suggestions in step one
    Sure.

What were you unsure about? Give us specific questions and we can try to answer them.

ok i appreciate it here goes:

1. What exactly am i supposed to do here? What does this mean?

usbcore.o loading tweak: (insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o log2_irq_thresh=4)

2. could you explain in detail how to use the backport drivers and how to

install them.

3.What do you mean by this:

Unified MFS software

i am using TyTool with the updated tserver for extraction. is that what i

should be using??

once again thank you for your help an i hope those questionsdo not give you

the impression that i have not read, because i have been working on this

prob for tje last 6 days and am at my wit's end and 0.45 mb sec extraction

rate is crazy!!

thank you!!

1. What exactly am i supposed to do here? What does this mean?
    usbcore.o loading tweak: (insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o log2_irq_thresh=4)
    This is unnecessary if you are using the 20050619 build of the backport drivers. log2_irq_thresh=4 is now the default.
    2. could you explain in detail how to use the backport drivers and how to install them.
    Grab the usbobj2.4.27 package here. Ftp it to your tivo, say in the /tmp directory. Unpack it with bzcat and tar. Backup your existing modules, and install the appropriate modules from the package in /lib/modules. The appropriate modules depend on your linux kernel version. You can find that out with uname -r if you don't already know it. There are additional instructions in post 4 of that thread.
    3.What do you mean by this: Unified MFS software
    The package here.
    i am using TyTool with the updated tserver for extraction. is that what i should be using??
    TyTool is fine. The tserver in the package above is the best one to use, IMHO.
    0.45 mb sec extraction rate is crazy!!
    That level of performance sounds like USB1.1 performance or worse. So it could be you don't have the proper usb drivers installed correctly. Or it could be something wrong with your network. What usb network dongle are you using? What devices (hub/switch/router) are between your tivo and your PC? Be sure that everything is 100mbps. Any 10mbps devices in between will wreak havoc on performance.
    Last edited by Jamie; 07-16-2005 at 05:47 PM.

Thank you Jamie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok First off Jamie thank you for your reply(VERY HELPFUL)

As you have probably guessed im a noobe so any help is greatly appreciated

I've spent the day going over your reply and here is where im at.

Problem #1 Dongle: i bought a cheap one but it says it supports 100mbits/sec
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11182

that is the one i have (it is a Realtek)

are these drivers ADAPTER specific? ie do i need to buy the linksys adapter?

#2 ok i bunzip and tar the file over and i have the folders on my tivo. when i look for the files to put in the modules folder the ones i see are in 2 diff folders: ehci-dummy, usbcore, and usb-core are in host dir
    usbnet is in drivers folder along with several other files. do i copy all of the driver files or are these the specific drivers for each adapter? OR do i just copy usbnet to the modules folder?

i know that is a lot to ask so thank you in advance( I PROMISE IT IS APPRECIATED!!!!)

Ok First off Jamie thank you for your reply(VERY HELPFUL)

As you have probably guessed im a noobe so any help is greatly appreciated

I've spent the day going over your reply and here is where im at.

Problem #1 Dongle: i bought a cheap one but it says it supports 100mbits/sec
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11182

that is the one i have (it is a Realtek)

#2 ok i bunzip and tar the file over and i have the folders on my tivo. when i look for the files to put in the modules folder the ones i see are in 2 diff folders: ehci-dummy, usbcore, and usb-core are in host dir
    usbnet is in drivers folder along with several other files. do i copy all of the driver files or are these the specific drivers for each adapter? OR do i just copy usbnet to the modules folder?

i know that is a lot to ask so thank you in advance( I PROMISE IT IS APPRECIATED!!!!)
    You may or may not get this to work, but you won't get the fastest speeds from this device as it is a USB 1.1 device. 12Mbps (full) is all that is listed even though it supports the 1.0/1.1/2.0 interface. Don't think it'll do 480Mbps (Hi-Speed). YMMV, but if you're looking for the best possible extraction/insertion speeds get a 2.0 device that is known to work.

ew

The package includes drivers for several different chips, including realtek. But as EW pointed out, that's a "Full Speed" (12Mb/s) device. If you want the best possible performance, you want a "High Speed" (480Mb/s) device; reference.

I would pick up an ax88172 based device such as the xterasys. These use the usbnet driver and are capable of ~3.5MB/sec extraction rates. You should be able to find them for <$20.

Talking The Gods Have Spoken!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    I would pick up an ax88172 based device such as the xterasys.

Ordered

Thank-you. I guess this is what happens when you think you know what you are doing but really dont. oh well, maybe this will help others who are confused.

Do the backported usbnet drivers (or any usbnet drivers) incorporate the Belcarra USBLAN functions ( http://www.belcarra.com/usblan/index.html ) from their version of usbdnet (not sure if this is the same usbdnet driver related to Zaurus that is referenced on the usbnet homepage)?

I'm wondering if I can use the Belcarra USBLAN windows driver with a host to host cable to talk TCP/IP to my tivo from windows.

The Belcarra drivers are not available from their site currently (well, not the windows ones at least), but this seems to be them: http://myqzj.com/680/usblin.rar

I suppose I could buy a host to host cable and just try it, but I need to cut down on buying potentially useless gadgets right at the moment.
    Last edited by falcomadol; 07-24-2005 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by falcomadol
    Do the backported usbnet drivers (or any usbnet drivers) incorporate the Belcarra USBLAN functions ( http://www.belcarra.com/usblan/index.html )
    No.
    ...from their version of usbdnet (not sure if this is the same usbdnet driver related to Zaurus that is referenced on the usbnet homepage)?
    As far as I known the Zaurus support in the usbnet driver was developed independently of the Belcarra drivers.
    I'm wondering if I can use the Belcarra USBLAN windows driver with a host to host cable to talk TCP/IP to my tivo from windows.
    The usbnet driver uses CDC framing for the usb host-to-host cables It does not currently support RNDIS framing.
    The Belcarra drivers are not available from their site currently (well, not the windows ones at least), but this seems to be them: http://myqzj.com/680/usblin.rar
    If the Belcarra windows drivers support CDC framing, it might work. The package you linked to appeared to be some sort of "demo" drivers.
    I suppose I could buy a host to host cable and just try it, but I need to cut down on buying potentially useless gadgets right at the moment.
    I've got a cable based on the ALI chip. I'll try it next time I boot up windows.

No. As far as I known the Zaurus support in the usbnet driver was developed independently of the Belcarra drivers.The usbnet driver uses CDC framing for the usb host-to-host cables It does not currently support RNDIS framing.If the Belcarra windows drivers support CDC framing, it might work. The package you linked to appeared to be some sort of "demo" drivers.I've got a cable based on the ALI chip. I'll try it next time I boot up windows.
    Yes, according to the Chinese site I found them at, the demo drivers are not time limited or feature limited, but they are licensed for demonstration use for commercial applications, or unlimited use for personal applications.

What it sounds like from the Belcarra whitepapers on the subject is that the windows driver supports both RNDIS and CDC, and that it should be able to talk to basically anything on the other side of a USB line that is willing to talk back similarly.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by falcomadol
    Yes, according to the Chinese site I found them at, the demo drivers are not time limited or feature limited, but they are licensed for demonstration use for commercial applications, or unlimited use for personal applications.
    I had no luck getting those windows drivers to recognize my ALI m5632 based cable, and could find nothing on the Belcarra site indicating what devices the driver was intended to work with.

I had no luck getting those windows drivers to recognize my ALI m5632 based cable, and could find nothing on the Belcarra site indicating what devices the driver was intended to work with.
    Ok, thanks for saving me the money

This is driving me nuts!!

2 weeks and i still cant get usb 2.0 going!!!! i really need help..
    I have a Phillips Series 2 DSR 708 6.2 that I have installed a new drive and superpatched. I am trying to apply the backported drivers for faster extraction. I an airlink usb 2.0 adapter that will not connect no matter what iI do!! Thanks in advance!!!

Questions:

#1 in the backported drivers(usbobj2[1].4.27-20050619.tar) in the obj directory there is a host folder and a driver folder

in driver/2.4.20 what am i supposed to copy from this folder AND to Where?(/lib/modules?)

in hosts2.4.20series2 am i supposed to copy all 3 of these files to /lib/modules; if so what is the deal with the dummy file.

#2 is that all I need from that package;i.e. nothing from the test or nonusb folders?

#3 Below is my author file, can you let me know if it is correct for accomplishing this task

#4 in my aythor file I have ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o; is that the ok for symlink?

#5 Is there something else I should do that I am forgetting?
    #!/bin/bash
    export TIVO_ROOT=""
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox
    # start telnet
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    # start ftp
    tivoftpd
    # Enable TivoWebPlus
    /var/hack/devbin/tivowebplus/tivoweb console
    # Enable Serial bash
    /bin/bash </dev/ttyS2&> /dev/ttyS2&
    # add two static routes so the tivo doesn't phone home (stops breakage)
    route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
    route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    if [ -z "`grep $SerialNumber /etc/hosts`" ]; then
    mount -o remount,rw /
    echo "127.0.0.1 $SerialNumber.localdomain $SerialNumber" >> /etc/hosts
    mount -o remount,ro /
    fi
    #Load ethernet drivers
    ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o
    insmod /lib/modules/usbnet.o
    # Call the Tivo Package Manager Startup Scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tpm

I realiz that ya'll like for people to do their homework so i want you to know I really have tried, i'm just not getting anywhere!!
    Last edited by cyklfreak; 08-13-2005 at 01:46 AM.