Thread: InstantCake or not?

InstantCake or not?

Has anyone had any success with instantcake. I have been looking into it as a faste alternative to DIY. I know it comes with kill initrd but i have 3.1.1e. Will it backtrack it to a useable one for me? Also, is this just like any other iso where it only gives you a bash on your tivo in the end or do you actually get something for $20.

InstantCake is not a hacking tool. Towards hacking, the most they provide is replacement kernels with LBA48 for _select_ models, probably not yours based on the version you gave.

Instant cake is simply a boot CD with backup image, and an "easy restore" tool. Its true purpose is to make hard drive replacements easier, but it comes at a cost: you lose existing recordings.

I personally find that downloading the appropriate mfstools ISO (in this case, NOT the lba48 version), doing a DD style transfer (saves recordings), and mfsadd (allocates new space) is really quite easy and it won't cost you anything.

That same ISO will give you support to mount your tivo drive and begin the hacking process manually (which is best since Sleeper's is too out of date).

thought so. thanks much