Thread: guided setup, virgin image, need to clear and delete?

guided setup, virgin image, need to clear and delete?

I recently put 4.0.1b on my HDVR2, and forgot to do "clear and delete everything" before installing all my hacks (even though I was telling myself I needed to do so.. doh). The image I used started me off on the guided setup. Does this mean I wouldn't need to do the clear and delete since the image was previously cleared?

Also, what does clear and delete actually do besides wiping out all the settings? Would it remove my hacks (hmo superpatch, killhdinitrd, etc..)?

thanks,
    steve

You should have seen an error message telling you something like 'a harware problem has been detected'. What software version does the system info screen show ?

Quote Originally Posted by steve457
    I recently put 4.0.1b on my HDVR2, and forgot to do "clear and delete everything" before installing all my hacks (even though I was telling myself I needed to do so.. doh). The image I used started me off on the guided setup. Does this mean I wouldn't need to do the clear and delete since the image was previously cleared?

Also, what does clear and delete actually do besides wiping out all the settings? Would it remove my hacks (hmo superpatch, killhdinitrd, etc..)?

thanks,
    steve
    If everything seems to work, including recording, there shouldn't be any problems. If you see (or suspect) any problem, go ahead and do 'clear and delete everything'. This allows it to redetect your hardware setup. It won't delete hacks, etc.

The problem arises because the TiVo software keeps a record of the serial number (service number?) of your system. When you move an image to a different system there is a conflict, and you get 'Error 51'. Also, since 4.x software was never released for DirecTiVos, any image you find was originally running on a Stand Alone system. That hardware configuration is cleared out by the C&D E.

Fortunately, some of the people who have provided images ran C&D E, then made the image before the system rebooted. This gives us something very close to a virgin image.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 11-17-2004 at 12:46 AM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Wouldn't 4.x on any DTivo require a C&D? If not, why? Because hacks were applied?

Quote Originally Posted by montano
    Wouldn't 4.x on any DTivo require a C&D? If not, why? Because hacks were applied?
    If the gentleperson who made the image ran C & D E, then pulled the drive when it began to reboot after completing the C & D E, you would expect to have an image which will not require it - simply restore and run guided setup.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Just for the record, I had what seemed to be a Virgin 4.0.1b image. Before i added the hacks, i put the drive in the TIVO and booted up. It proceeded to take me through Guided setup etc. When i added the hacks, everything worked except for the fact that i could not record. I then did a C&D E and it has been working well ever since.

Thanks for all the replies! I ran a C&DE just to be safe, even though I didn't see any problems and was able to record shows fine before. The only thing I noticed was that I needed to run the set_mrv_name.tcl script again from the HMO superpatch, as the C&DE cleared the name that I had previously set.

-steve