Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 680

Thread: 4.x+RID - support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339

    4.x+RID - support

    This is the support thread for the sw package posted in the 4.x+RID - files and information thread.

    that thread is files + information only and is locked

    this is the thread for setup & support questions

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339
    notes:

    uma6fix.o autodetects uma4/uma6 to only load when needed, and the kernel supports 2.0 series S2's with the exception of the HDtivo and dvd-combo sa's. this means the same framework config will boot 4.x sw properly on most S2 models


    gateway & dns addresses of 0.0.0.0 work here to prevent mothership dialouts without hindering mrv transfers (4.0.1b)


    please setup, install & verify operation with factory usb drivers BEFORE switching to Jamie's optomized backports. his tweaked kernel will NOT work - feel free to try it, but start another thread for that discussion


    make SURE you have a good 4.x image

    if it's from p2p or you don't have backgrounds DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD! - you have some reading to do


    the init-framework sets the default path to include ./ - / and /utils. if you install alphawolf's all-in-one package to /utils you're good to go in no time


    edit: just started with nothing but the referenced files and a bash serial cable - took about 20 mins to verify ALL the steps & get to guided setup

    we don't really need hand holding guides for this, but if you want to write your own "noob's guide to uma6fix" please attach it to your post as a text file or start a new thread - that'll do wonders to reduce thre clutter
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-17-2004 at 01:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    45

    Scrabled TY extraction/Insertion.

    One of the RID units I will be installing 4.0 on is completely unhacked. If I hack it enough to pull encrypted TYs off of it, update it to 4.0, and reinsert them (to the same tivo) I can still play them on that tivo. correct?

    I undertsand I wont be able to use them with MRV, unless I unscramble them.

    -Jason

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76
    One of the RID units I will be installing 4.0 on is completely unhacked. If I hack it enough to pull encrypted TYs off of it, update it to 4.0, and reinsert them (to the same tivo) I can still play them on that tivo. correct?

    I undertsand I wont be able to use them with MRV, unless I unscramble them.

    -Jason
    yep. you'll need to extract as tmf and use

    /var/mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/get_DC_key.tcl

    to backup the DiskConfig key in 3.x, then use

    /var/mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/set_DC_key.tcl

    to restore the DiskConfig key in 4.x
    Last edited by rc3105; 11-17-2004 at 07:26 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Florham Park, NJ
    Posts
    187
    Since the InstantCake software is distributed with a GPL license and is copyable, can someone make it available somewhere for download so we don't have to pay another $20.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by w2kr
    Since the InstantCake software is distributed with a GPL license and is copyable, can someone make it available somewhere for download so we don't have to pay another $20.
    actually it's not, the gpl license only covers the kernel, os, glibc and so forth. there's quite a bit in an image like the pvr sw, background animation and sounds that tivo reserves copyright to - that's how they're able to take down anyone hosting an image

    unfortunatly we've allready had that discussion with tivo legal - thus was the image begging thread born. please confine all image sharing discussion to pm

    ---

    tivo is has endorsed PTV upgrade's business model (by not shutting them down) you can get a good 4.x image there
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-17-2004 at 05:00 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Florham Park, NJ
    Posts
    187
    Riley,
    I'm not going to challenge this board's decision not to allow hosting of InstantCake, but I did want to state why I thought it would be okay. At http://www.ptvupgrade.com/support/instantcake/ it states:

    InstantCake software is released and distributed under the GNU General Public License, you are free to copy, modify and redistribute it in accordance with the GPL.


    Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    actually it's not, the gpl license only covers the kernel, os, glibc and so forth. there's quite a bit in an image like the pvr sw, background animation and sounds that tivo reserves copyright to - that's how they're able takedown anyone hosting an image

    unfortunatly we've allready had that discussion with tivo legal - thus was the image begging thread born. please confine all image sharing discussion to pm

    ---

    ptv-upgrade is one of the few tivo-annointed sources for images - I've allready mentioned to Lou this would be a VERY good week to run a holiday sale

    anyone interested in a cheap image from ptv (particularly bounty donors) should send me an email at jc3105@hotmail.com - I'll get us a reasonable bulk discount
    Last edited by w2kr; 11-17-2004 at 10:29 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339
    well, that's his interpetation. tivo is apparently ok with his business model but they sent cease & desist letters to everybody else - we're out of luck
    Last edited by rc3105; 11-17-2004 at 10:37 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    ptv-upgrade is one of the few tivo-annointed sources for images - I've allready mentioned to Lou this would be a VERY good week to run a holiday sale

    anyone interested in a cheap image from ptv (particularly bounty donors) should send me an email at jc3105@hotmail.com - I'll get us a reasonable bulk discount
    does the instantcake cd only have the latest release from tivo? currently I'm running 4.0.1b-02-240 becuase that's what I had access to on my parents SA S2, but I'd like stock 4.0 so I can apply stuff like MN's guide data patch and the like.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,149
    Quote Originally Posted by bma
    does the instantcake cd only have the latest release from tivo? currently I'm running 4.0.1b-02-240 becuase that's what I had access to on my parents SA S2, but I'd like stock 4.0 so I can apply stuff like MN's guide data patch and the like.
    Work is ongoing on a guide data patch for 4.0.1b. I'm in over my head though so it might be a while or never .


    NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339
    I'm working on shrinking some of the instant cake's to save on bandwidth, once that's ready we should have our holiday coupon

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    231
    Perhaps host it via bittorrent?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339
    gimme a sec to get caught up here...

    TiVo approves of PTV_upgrade's business model & practices or they wouldn't still be in business.

    TiVo does NOT want mere mortals hosting images via ftp or p2p, or extended public discussion on where to find that sort of thing.

    SO

    I'm going to build a couple of "micro" images and see if I can get those over to ptv upgrade - a legit distribution channel
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-17-2004 at 01:51 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    269
    Okay, time for my stupid question of the day.

    After doing everything in the release thread, I have a working, mostly-virgin install of 4.x. I'll then need to run the nocso patch, load telnet, ftp, tserver, TWP, etc, correct? Are there ANY hacks/patches that are installed other than what's required to just get 4.x to boot?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,339
    the init framework and an lba48 kernel

    networking will work in that sense that the tivo "firewall" is disabled. it's up to you to install bash, telnet, ftp, tivoweb & whatever else you want

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •