Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.x+RID - support

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Really...

You need to read and not post.

NutKase
    Point taken...
    Last edited by techbri; 11-23-2004 at 03:07 AM.

35 Almost There

I have completed every step and ran through the guided setup after I did a clear and delete. When I telnet to the Tivo, I get the bash prompt, then I try to mount to the Tivo root with:

mkdir tivo
    mount /dev/hdc4 /tivo

I am then given an error that the device is busy. I am unable to get to the root to install more packages. I am able to ftp, no problem. Any ideas?

One other question, on my other Tivo (non-RID), when I telnet to it, I am already in the Tivo root, I do not have to mount. Can I set it up like this on my other (RID) Tivo?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbiggmd
    I have completed every step and ran through the guided setup after I did a clear and delete. When I telnet to the Tivo, I get the bash prompt, then I try to mount to the Tivo root with:
    When you telnet into the Tivo, there's no need to mount any root, since you're already inside it. The mount /dev/hdc4 is only needed when your tivo drive is stuck on your PC.

Why don't you read the first couple of post of this thread? There's an excellent step-by-step post by Riley...

Question Let me rephrase

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    When you telnet into the Tivo, there's no need to mount any root, since you're already inside it. The mount /dev/hdc4 is only needed when your tivo drive is stuck on your PC.

Why don't you read the first couple of post of this thread? There's an excellent step-by-step post by Riley...
    I have read every post in this thread as well as others. When I run a dir command from the prompt in Telnet, I do not see the Tivo file structure. How do I get to the file structure so I can execute files? I can do this without any issues on my other Tivo. Thanks.

I have read every post in this thread as well as others. When I run a dir command from the prompt in Telnet, I do not see the Tivo file structure. How do I get to the file structure so I can execute files? I can do this without any issues on my other Tivo. Thanks.
    I would suggest you go to one of the learning linux websites such as
    Learning Linux
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

You're probably in /var/temp (there's nothing there)

Do a CD / first

I am sure I will get chewed on for this but I am sure someone out there is willing to help...

I found a post in the killhdinitrd thread on DD that talks about creating the rc.sysinit.author file.

I created a file and put the following lines in it to start with...

/sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    /sbin/tivoftpd

...and yes tnlited and tivoftpd are in the sbin directory.

Then I saved the file and typed

chmod +x rc.sysinit.author and shut the system down and put the drive back in the tivo. It posts the powering up screen and is stuck there....

I removed the drive and put it back in my hack box and recreated a blank file named rc.sysinit.author and typed chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author (per another post).

The drive works fine in the tivo now but understandably, I don't have telnet or ftp access either. Also, if someone is willing to help me disable the netfilter, I could use the help. Might not hurt to PM me as "they" might chew you out too.

Quote Originally Posted by techbri
    I am sure I will get chewed on for this but I am sure someone out there is willing to help...
    You'll get chewed allright. Read back about 6 or 8 posts... did you disable your netfilter?

Quote Originally Posted by techbri

I found a post in the killhdinitrd thread on DD that talks about creating the rc.sysinit.author file.

I created a file and put the following lines in it to start with...

/sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    /sbin/tivoftpd

...and yes tnlited and tivoftpd are in the sbin directory.

Then I saved the file and typed

chmod +x rc.sysinit.author and shut the system down and put the drive back in the tivo. It posts the powering up screen and is stuck there....

I removed the drive and put it back in my hack box and recreated a blank file named rc.sysinit.author and typed chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author (per another post).

The drive works fine in the tivo now but understandably, I don't have telnet or ftp access either. Also, if someone is willing to help me disable the netfilter, I could use the help. Might not hurt to PM me as "they" might chew you out too.

One small but vital detail - how did you create the rc.sysinit.author file? WordPad, NotePad, and Word will not work. I prefer to use vi (installed as part of Alphawolf's S2 binaries), or Textpad (save in unix mode). You have demonstrated the problem is rc.sysinit.author, now all you have to figure out why.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    You'll get chewed allright. Read back about 6 or 8 posts... did you disable your netfilter?

That's what I am having trouble with...I can't seem to find out how to disable that. I see from other posts that this is done in the rc.sysint. I never created this file...and if I go to /etc/rc.d and to a ls command, I don't see the file there. Also,they suggest to:
    rename '/etc/netfilter-enable' to '/etc/netfilter-enable.somethingelse' but I don't see this file in the etc directory.
    Last edited by techbri; 11-23-2004 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    One small but vital detail - how did you create the rc.sysinit.author file? WordPad, NotePad, and Word will not work. I prefer to use vi (installed as part of Alphawolf's S2 binaries), or Textpad (save in unix mode). You have demonstrated the problem is rc.sysinit.author, now all you have to figure out why.

PlainBill

I actually created the file by putting the disk in a computer and booting from the killhdinitrd cd. I ran the following command:

touch /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author then I ran the following:

edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

I added the lines to the file mentioned above....

Then I ran chmod +x rc.sysinit.author

When I put the drive back in the tivo, it got stuck at the powering up screen.

Also, I need to figure out how to disable the netfilter as mentioned before. I see from other posts that this is done in the rc.sysint. I never created this file...and if I go to /etc/rc.d and to a ls command, I don't see the file there. Also,they suggest to:
    rename '/etc/netfilter-enable' to '/etc/netfilter-enable.somethingelse' but I don't see this file in the etc directory.
    Last edited by techbri; 11-23-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    FWIW theres no need to download an entire disk image. You can just upgrade your existing software to the 4.x software. All that is needed is a slice file containing the changed loopsets along with an upgrade slice. If you do it right, theres no need to even remove your tivos hard disk, and theres only about ~40 megs worth of files to download.
    Any news on this?

I'd also like to save my recordings if possible...

Thanks for your help...

Odd error...

Seem to have a solid install by changing 001_bash.init
    to the following:

#!/bin/bash
    export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/busybox:/tvbin:$PATH:/tivo-bin:/var:/var/hack:/var/hack/bin
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export IGNOREEOF=1000
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/modules
    export TERM=xterm
    export PS1='\h:\w$ '

/bin/bash -login</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    /var/tivoftpd &

--------------

but now I am getting these errors
    /tvbin/dssapp: ### ERROR: CwpPrimaryThread: Packet error on vchan 0 (overflow=1,
    bytesAvailable=4096)
    /tvbin/dssapp: ### ERROR: CwpPrimaryThread: Packet error on vchan 1 (overflow=1,
    bytesAvailable=4096)
    ----------------------

They eventually stop....

What do they mean?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by bbsux
    but now I am getting these errors
    /tvbin/dssapp: ### ERROR: CwpPrimaryThread: Packet error on vchan 0 (overflow=1,
    bytesAvailable=4096)
    /tvbin/dssapp: ### ERROR: CwpPrimaryThread: Packet error on vchan 1 (overflow=1,
    bytesAvailable=4096)
    This means that control word packets from the satellite are being dropped because dssapp can't process them in time. This could be a fluke, or it could be because some other process is hogging the CPU (possibly running at a higher priority than it should).

If you aren't seeing video skips or other evidence of dropped frames, this error is harmless.
    Last edited by alldeadhomiez; 11-23-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Exclamation So Frustrated

I have sucessfully completed the steps for the install. I have been in to the tivo and set up the networking options in the tivo setup. i rebooted and got the green screen of death. my serial output is:

/dev/hda9: 84/32768 files (16.7% non-contiguous), 9998/131072 blocks
    Cleanup /dev/hda9 pass 2
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/
    hda9 is mounted.
    /dev/hda9: clean, 84/32768 files, 9998/131072 blocks
    /dev/hda9 is clean after pass 2
    Mounting /var
    /dev/hda9 on /var type ext2 (rw)
    Cleaning up /var/mtab...
    Using default TIVO_SVR_ADDR
    Mounting initial environment...
    Loading input section drivers
    init_module called
    /dev/oslink loaded
    Init called
    cobra module was successfully installed
    Loading TvBus router
    Cleaning up temporary files in /var/tmp and /var/run
    /tvbin/dssapp: DSS Interface Version 1.16, compiled on Jan 23 2004
    Cleaning up old slices and bundles in /var/packages...
    Checking space in /var
    Found Silicon Labs "Si2433" modem, rev F, skipping modem patch
    Scanning for phase1 repair scripts
    Initializing TiVo extension...
    Set up environment vars for hardware configuration...
    Remote control is TIVO
    MFS partition on /dev/hda10
    Loading media drivers...
    Loading ideturbo ...
    ideturbo version mismatch, not enabling
    Auto-detecting oslink module (asic 5).
    Not Installing oslink module.
    Loading fan ...
    Loading therm ...
    Loading output section drivers ...
    insmod: a module named brcmdrv-rb already exists
    Splash the screen...
    Look for debug board ...
    Enabling local route...
    Setting TCP keepalive parameters...
    Starting logging daemons...
    Check for PROM update ...
    Updating system clock UID=0
    Time set to: Wed Nov 24 00:59:48 2004
    Have a nice day.
    Checking for additional disk...
    Starting EventSwitcher...
    Database is inconsistent - cannot mount!

any ideas?