Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.x+RID - support

I edited the post and made some alterations based on your suggestions, I see the problem with some of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevel
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGE

### Install busybox, tivoftpd etc

mkdir /tivo/busybox
    cd /tivo/busybox
    tar -xvf /cdrom/tivotool.tar
    Should be /cdrom/tivotools.tar
    I'm not sure what you mean here. It looks to me that this would install the tivotool.tar from the /cdrom directory to the /busybox directory.

Thanks for your input.

HUGE

My point was that the name of the file is tivotools.tar, not tivotool.tar

Regarding the cp command - Linux documentation says -r should work, but clearly it doesn't in this version.

Some more notes;

The gzip command to unpack the kernel from the PTV cd fails because it tries to unzip into the CD. You need to copy the kernel to a writeable place first. (There is probably a way to unzip to an alternate location, but it doesn't jump out at me from the documentation.)

The instructions to create the rc.sysinit.author should tell you to cd to /tivo/etc/rc.d - otherwise you are creating the file in the ramdisk copy of Linux you're running.

Also, Riley, the correct path for the image on the Instant Cake CD is /cdrom/.images/000001 For those who may do an ls and not see the .images folder, the leading dot makes it invisible. (I know just enough Linux to be dangerous, so apologies if this seems obvious to some.)
    Steve

Regarding the cp command - Linux documentation says -r should work, but clearly it doesn't in this version.
    But -R, clearly does.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by josan5885
    Last night about 2 am, I noticed that the dtivo was downloading stuff from the tivo central using channel 100, and when clicked on the info the message said something about Tivo services, tribune something. Anyways sorry for nor being specific I was half sleep.
    This happens every night. It's part of the guide data.

The gzip command to unpack the kernel from the PTV cd fails because it tries to unzip into the CD. You need to copy the kernel to a writeable place first. (There is probably a way to unzip to an alternate location, but it doesn't jump out at me from the documentation.)
    Thanks, I will make those fixes. The command:

gzip -d /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz

You said this will not work. With the command before it it is:

cd /tivo
    gzip -d /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz

Isn't that changing to the /tivo directory, then extracting the the vmlinux.px.gz to it (to /tivo)?

Alternatively could you just do the one command.

gzip -d /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz /tivo

My understanding of linux is quite limited, so I appriciate the assistance.

Thanks,

HUGE

No, it isn't. gunzip (or gzip -d) replaces the archive with the expanded files (deleting the archive - something that took me by surprise when I first encountered it). It does not expand to your current directory. I'm sure there's a way to do that with pipes and such, but I'm too lazy to go figure it out when copying the archive first will accomplish the same thing.

gzip does not accept a destination argument.

I didn't notice this the first time I ran through your steps as I had already copied and expanded the kernel to the CD I burned.

You might also want to provde a pointer to the X86 bootpage you reference. Took me a minute or two to locate it, but for completeness...
    Steve

gzip -c -d /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz | > /tivo/vmlinux.px

edit:
    whoops, want to put the 311c kernel in /, not /init, before installing it to /dev/hdc3 or /dev/hdc6. the lba48 kernel goes in /init
    Last edited by rc3105; 11-25-2004 at 08:52 PM.

Figured it was something like that...
    Steve

You might also want to provde a pointer to the X86 bootpage you reference. Took me a minute or two to locate it, but for completeness...
    Sorry, not sure what this means. I did put a bootpage directory on the CD (which then is copied to the /tivo/cdrom dir), with the new bootpage file in it. This is what I have:

cd /tivo/cdrom/bootpage
    ./bootpage –p /dev/hdc (The result from this command on my unit was /dev/hda7)
    ./bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc

Quote Originally Posted by rc315
    gzip -c -d /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz | > /tivo/init/vmlinux.px

Doesn't this put it in the /init directory? Based on your steps from your previous post I thought it was supposed to go in the root (/tivo).

The step I have there are:

### Create the file /tivo/vmlinux.px

gzip -c -d /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz | > /tivo/init/vmlinux.px

### Put the killhdinitrd'd kernel in BOTH kernel partitions. one's not necessary but it saves having to check which with bootpage

dd if=/tivo/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc3
    dd if=/tivo/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6

And another question, do I need to put busybox in the path or is that already done?

Thanks guys.

HUGE

Regarding bootpage, I meant to suggest that you mention where the particular version of bootpage you talked about came from.

Riley's command puts the unzipped kernel in /tivo - you don't want that one in /tivo/init. You added the /init yourself, incorrectly.
    Steve

Regarding bootpage, I meant to suggest that you mention where the particular version of bootpage you talked about came from.
    Ah, good point.

Riley's command puts the unzipped kernel in /tivo - you don't want that one in /tivo/init. You added the /init yourself, incorrectly.

Thanks. In my defense, Riley edited his post, correcting it And as for the tivotools.tar, that gets expanded to the busybox dir (I think) - is busybox in the path?

HUGE

Probably not unless you add it, since that directory doesn't exist normally.
    Steve

Probably not unless you add it, since that directory doesn't exist normally.
    And I should add that to be in the .profile or alternatively extract the tivotools to /utils which is in the path, correct?

Thanks for guiding me here.

HUGE
    Last edited by HUGE; 11-25-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by /test.conf - part of init_framework.tgz
    #!/bin/bash

echo "starting test.conf"
    export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox
    export upgradesoftware=false
    for foo in /init/*.init ; do
    echo "starting $foo"
    $foo
    done
    which is why I mentioned putting them there...

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    which is why I mentioned putting them there...
    Awesome. I thought that was the case but I did not remember reading it specifically anywhere. I plan on doing this by the weekend. I will make sure every step works and then I can post the complete How-to on one of my websites. Thanks again guys.

HUGE