Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: 4.x+RID - support

Completion question

Followed the guide and have no issues getting it to boot. What I do have an issue with is I get an error recognizing the access card, as well the model # does not show up. I dont really have a problem with that by itself, could care less. I just want to make sure I can activate it with D@ve next week. In a hughes DVR40, I got live TV (previews) but it didnt see cam ID. With a Philips 708, it does not get live tv though. I have done the clear and delete, and I have read (both this and the newbie 4.x guides....PB) about this for days. All I have found is this:

mv /tivo/tvbin/dssapp /tivo/tvbin/dssapp.orig
    cp /tivo/cdrom/dssapp /tivo/tvbin/dssapp
    chmod +x /tivo/tvbin/dssapp
    *updates dssapp

In the guide, it does not say to do "chmod +x /tivo/tvbin/dssapp" . Is this the way to get the dssapp that has been altered to workis by making it an executable? As that is why I dont get live tv unless dssapp is compatible with the hardware. Just for sh!ts and giggles, I tried importing the original dssapp package to see if it would get it to work....no dice. I am just about to not bother, but am wondering if this is the missing link here. All I am concerned with so I am CRYSTRAL CLEAR, is making sure the card and RID are working so i can activate next week.

I have done a search in all the forums i can find, and get the same kinds of "answers" , that is, suggestions that the answer is out there. I would just like to put the finishing touches on at least one of these so I can start to enjoy it.

One more thing, the 4.x +RID was supposed to add LBA48 support...just
    to check , I am using a 160Gig drive, and it shows 136 hours...I have read it should be 144 or so....and suggestions?
    Any help or real answers on the dssapp question would be appreciated very much.

Thanks for all your help here.
    Last edited by thephoneguy; 05-12-2005 at 09:56 AM.

To add

if there is a s/w version that works with the 708 for sure, i will go that route. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thephoneguy
    if there is a s/w version that works with the 708 for sure, i will go that route. Thanks.
    %#%$$@# Stop being so anal, and relax!!! Do a couple of simple tests.

1. Hook the DirecTiVo to a TV, turn everything on. Do you get a 'Insert valid access card' message? If it is constant, it is either a bad card or bad receiver. If it is intermittent, it is almost certainly a bad card slot. If the only problem is the card number does not appear in the System Information screen, it's a known feature of the process, don't worry.

2. With the dish hooked up, tune to channel 100. Do you get a picture? You've probably done everything right. You'll have to subscribe to find out for sure.

3. Upgrade to 6.2. With a faster UI, and native LBA-48 support, it's the way to go. With the release of HMO/MRV, there is no valid reason to avoid upgrading.

EDIT: The most common problem is using the incorrect dssapp. If you have a non-RID unit, use the dssapp included with the 4.0.1 package you obtained. If you are using a RID unit (DSR708 is a RID system), use the dssapp from the files thread.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 05-12-2005 at 04:44 PM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

OK, point taken

I will use the knowledge I have and try 6.2. Now I just need to read on the best/foolproof method of instal, either via slices, or an image. I have 6.1 image from an R10, will that work? And wher might I look, or rather what would i search for to find a listing of the correct slices for the different Tivo models.
    I was excited about HMO, and it looks like it will be there soon enough. I have the kernals and at least I am getting used to the process.

And I am a communications tech....it's MY JOB to be ANAL ! Im not uptight at all! I like doing things right and the first time, that is why research and training rule. Difference here is that there is no definitove "reference" material, only testimonials buy hard testing users who share info. That is appreciated, but I need to learn to take it with a grain of salt and separate out the info i need.

BTW, the question about needing to chmod the dssapp was never answered, as after all this work, i would like to say i can do 4.01b successfully, and it looks like AGAIN, dssapp and I am looking for the solution. You did say it is common, but so is death and taxes.... if I solved the dssapp delema, I would havea working unit and not be afraid to add it to my DTV account. Right now I am not going to call, as I am not confident that I have it. Like I said, I get live tv on the Hughes, not the philips, and the card ID does not show up in either Sys info screens of either unit. If I get live tv, then I at least know there is cam communication happening. Looks like the Philips and the hughes are not dealing with the dssapp the same.

Now the search for a 6.2 image begins (or will 6.1 upgrade to 6.2?)

I will use the knowledge I have and try 6.2. Now I just need to read on the best/foolproof method of instal, either via slices, or an image. I have 6.1 image from an R10, will that work? And wher might I look, or rather what would i search for to find a listing of the correct slices for the different Tivo models.
    AlphaWolf posted a minimal 6.2 image, and someone alsoposted the slices AND dependencies to upgrade a 4.0.1 system to 6.2 on emule. Get the client at www.emule-project.net; do a Global Server search for dtivo. I don't have a pointer to the post which identifies which slices are for which hardware, but that's irrelavent - ANY set of 6.2 slices will work on a Series 2 system. A little searching here for '6.2 slices emule' should find the thread.

I was excited about HMO, and it looks like it will be there soon enough. I have the kernals and at least I am getting used to the process.
    It's here for 6.2. See the files section.

And I am a communications tech....it's MY JOB to be ANAL ! Im not uptight at all! I like doing things right and the first time, that is why research and training rule. Difference here is that there is no definitove "reference" material, only testimonials buy hard testing users who share info. That is appreciated, but I need to learn to take it with a grain of salt and separate out the info i need.

BTW, the question about needing to chmod the dssapp was never answered, as after all this work, i would like to say i can do 4.01b successfully, and it looks like AGAIN, dssapp and I am looking for the solution. You did say it is common, but so is death and taxes.... if I solved the dssapp delema, I would havea working unit and not be afraid to add it to my DTV account. Right now I am not going to call, as I am not confident that I have it. Like I said, I get live tv on the Hughes, not the philips, and the card ID does not show up in either Sys info screens of either unit. If I get live tv, then I at least know there is cam communication happening. Looks like the Philips and the hughes are not dealing with the dssapp the same.

Now the search for a 6.2 image begins (or will 6.1 upgrade to 6.2?)
    A few more comments: RID and Non-RID units require different dssapps. A non-RID unit should display the card ID number correctly. I didn't bother to answer the chmod question because I don't know. Admit it - it doesn't take a great deal of effort to chmod a file.

You STILL did not identify the model numbers of the working system. The DSR708 is a RID unit. And you never described the 'card recognition error'. What is the message?

You should have a copy of 3.1.1c or 3.1.1e on hand for testing purposes. It seems like a good idea to go back to a known working software version when you are having problems.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

killinitrd for 6.2

Hi,
    During the weekend I upgraded my DSR7000 (mfstools + ptvnet for version 6.2), everything went great.

What do I need to do to enable extraction? I understand I may need killintrd, but was unable to find a download for 6.2....

Thanks
    alfa66

Quote Originally Posted by alfa66
    Hi,
    During the weekend I upgraded my DSR7000 (mfstools + ptvnet for version 6.2), everything went great.

What do I need to do to enable extraction? I understand I may need killintrd, but was unable to find a download for 6.2....

Thanks
    alfa66
    And this has what to do with 4.x on RID?

I know this is counter-intuitive, but just MAYBE extraction questions belong in the extraction forum. It's easy to find - it's the forum titled Extraction, Insertion, & Streaming Support

PlainBill

I have acquired Phillips DSR704 Minus a hard drive. I have a brand new hard 120 gig hard drive.

I want to start from scratch with killhdinitrdand install 4.x on my RID DTiVo.

I am using these installation instructions:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39354

So first I need to acqure a good 4.x image, which I do not have.

I need to purchase one here:
    http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Merc...vc?Screen=PLST

My Question is Which one should I purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by deutsch1
    I have acquired Phillips DSR704 Minus a hard drive. I have a brand new hard 120 gig hard drive.

I want to start from scratch with killhdinitrdand install 4.x on my RID DTiVo.

I am using these installation instructions:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39354

So first I need to acqure a good 4.x image, which I do not have.

I need to purchase one here:
    http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Merc...vc?Screen=PLST

My Question is Which one should I purchase?
    Don't use 4.x. Read the 6.2 thread.

OK, then where can I get 6.2? I need more then slices as a have no image at all. I don't mind paying just let me know specifically where and what I need. Thanks

A Question From a Newbie

Hi,

I just went through the 4.x+ RID Installation Guide with overall ease but have now come across a problem.

My Tivo has an IP address, but I am unable to telnet to the IP of my Tivo. I am unable to progress beyond step 13 of the above instructions, or install Tivowebplus or other hacks.

When I try to telnet to my Tivo my connection is refused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ppcduo

Quote Originally Posted by ppcduo
    Hi,

I just went through the 4.x+ RID Installation Guide with overall ease but have now come across a problem.

My Tivo has an IP address, but I am unable to telnet to the IP of my Tivo. I am unable to progress beyond step 13 of the above instructions, or install Tivowebplus or other hacks.

When I try to telnet to my Tivo my connection is refused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ppcduo
    Can you ping it? Have you renamed netfilter-enable?

PlainBill

Yes, I'm getting a strong ping with 0% loss.

Yes, I renamed netfilter-enable to netfilter-notenabled

Quote Originally Posted by ppcduo
    Yes, I'm getting a strong ping with 0% loss.

Yes, I renamed netfilter-enable to netfilter-notenabled
    Do you have a firewall running on your computer?

PlainBill

Of course he does
    Hughes HDVR2 Sleepered 120 hrs! Not sure how it works it just does.
    RCADVR40 hacked using lightiv guide, It works, sorta.