Thread: Did 7.2 & wg111 kill my sd-h400?

Did 7.2 & wg111 kill my sd-h400?

Noticed my tivo rebooted at 2am and looked and sure enough 7.2 was knocking on the door wanting to come in.

I did the upgrade to let it in, and after the reboot, it got caught in a reboot loop. The only thing I did not do, which I didn't do with 7.1b, was the iptables, but I did do the netfilter-disable in the .author Since in the reboot loop & could not instantly find my cable, I hooked up the drive in a usb case & plugged it in, I realized cygwin cannot mount the drive, or I just didn't know how, so looked more & found the tivo serial cable. From what I remember, it was got past the .author, but rebooted within a minute later. So I hooked the drive up to the IDE bus & booted up with my linux drive in place as well. It said it could not mount the drive. So then I booted off the lba48 tivo cd, and was able to see the drive fine and edit the iptables. Put it back in tivo, booted up fine. no clue. Booted into 7.2 all was working.

Rebooted the tivo a few times to make sure it was indeed working after closing lid, then took it downstairs, put back in cabinet, and then it sat at powering up. SOAB. Took it back up, plugged in cable, sits at checking hard drive. Took it out, booted off cdrom, looked fine. Put back in tivo, booted ok. Checked twp, info showed ok, and SMART mon thing said drive was ok.

Few hours later went to check the twp to see how it was going, no reply, checked the box, it was working fine, but the netgear wg111 was blinking. Read up some, seems major issues with that nic. unplugged it, waited, & replugged it in, seemed to work for a bit.

day goes by, tivo is fine, checked twp, showed over 1 day uptime. great. go to sleep, get up in the morning, no reply from twp, turn on tv, picture is frozen solid & buttons don't do anything. unplug/replug, sits at powering up. changed the nic to the old dlink I was using a while ago, plugged tivo in, still sits at powering up. waited like 15 min, plugged in, working fine again, with old dlink nic.

I doubt heat is all of a sudden an issue, the highest I have had was 54 and it usually hovers around 50, which is where I saw in the bootup logs the thing's target temp is. I upgraded to a 160gb drive, but did the upgrade on a non-lba48 boot, so not fully used, but I never come close to filling it up. Swap space shows 127MB with pdisk -l. The only thing I wonder is if plugging the drive into the usb case and plugging it into an XP box messed something up. Only a few shows on it I didn't see, and the stuff that is saved is not terribly important, so I may zap the drive totally, expand it properly and re-image it from my original drive in closet, with 5. something on it, whatever came with the box. Just gotta redo my stuff, but that is not tough.

Just REALLY weird that it would work fine since 7.1b was in it, then 7.2 came & killed it, then it works for a day without issues, then when I started accessing the netgear nic, the thing dies, hard. But then after a bit works again.

Have the old dlink plugged into it now and trying to break it basically by using the network part more than I was before, so far so good. gonna also reboot it and see if it comes right back up (after the 7.2 seemingly longer bootup)

Any comments? I think reimage the drive may help. Will post any updates I find.

Oh, also, when the tivo was working fine, but the network was not, I looked at the net config screen or one of the info screens and got the (Message 86) error.

It'd be really helpful if, when it gets to one of those states where it won't power on, you plug in the serial cable and capture the output. Otherwise, anyone here is just guessing.

Booting it up into Windows XP may have changed your MBR, but if it did, you would know; it wouldn't work intermittently.

By the way, I'd love, love, love to have a backup of your 7.2 image, or just your hda4 or hda7 partition. I've been trying to get the WG111 to work on my 6.2, but no love so far.

minor update: froze up this morning. rebooted & working fine for now. noticed in the kernel log:

Sep 7 11:56:20 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    Sep 7 11:56:20 (none) kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

So I think drive may have issues, gonna check the cable too, maybe swap it out. Just odd that this just started happening with 7.2 upgrade. I wonder if when I took out drive when the thing was not working at first, if I knocked something on the motherboard or something. doubt that since it is so sporatic. Also, I wonder if since I did the expand thing on a 160 on a non-lba system, so only 137 supposedly available if that is confusing stuff after the upgrade.

Moving over the little that was left on the machine, then re-doing it. will save the image first. I think the drive in the closet is running 5.x so may put it on, connect to hopefully get 7.1 only (yeah right 7.2 will come) and then fix it up.

An update:
    Got around to opening the tivo finally a few days ago. swapped the cable and hooked in new drive, just had drive sitting there, not mounted. booted up perfectly. restart the box, but with the big drive in. worked perfectly. tested it for a day where it was open, checking it a bunch, making it do other stuff with twp while recording, etc, no probs. sealed it up & put it back in the cabinet. going over 2nd day with no issues.

I do still have the std netgear 802.11g issue others have with the signal strength dropping to 1% then up to 88 then back to 1, etc. but so far working fine.

so seems ide cable was the cause. I really was thinking it was worse.

thanks.