Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.x+RID - support

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    I used the PTV Image and kernel onto my Samsung 4040r. The did a clear and delete everything and the guided setup. It's like I'm not subbed with DTV. I can't replace the access guide because it says it needs the old of which I'm not sure what that means.
    I've no clue if this will work, but call 1-800-DIRECTV and enter extension 721 when prompted. That will reauthorize your receiver (assuming you're calling from the phone number of record on your account). I've done this to get locals working again when they sometimes go away after restoring from a backup.

(Edited to say extension 721, it was 723)
    Last edited by w2kr; 11-18-2004 at 03:16 AM.

Hmm...everytime I dial those extensions I have to wait for a customer service rep. Did they start doing an automated re-auth only recently?
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by w2kr
    I've no clue if this will work, but call 1-800-DIRECTV and enter extension 723 when prompted. That will reauthorize your receiver (assuming you're calling from the phone number of record on your account). I've done this to get locals working again when they sometimes go away after restoring from a backup.

That worked. It wasn't automated.

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    That worked. It wasn't automated.
    I noticed a month or two ago that the response to "721" was automated. 723 is probably passed off to a rep because it really shouldn't happen under normal circumstances. Same for 726.

You will probably have to call DirecTV if you have previously tampered with dssapp. If you can't get channel 100, you've got bigger problems (recheck your steps). If you can't get channel 219, restart from scratch because something is seriously hosed up.

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    I noticed a month or two ago that the response to "721" was automated. 723 is probably passed off to a rep because it really shouldn't happen under normal circumstances. Same for 726.

You will probably have to call DirecTV if you have previously tampered with dssapp. If you can't get channel 100, you've got bigger problems (recheck your steps). If you can't get channel 219, restart from scratch because something is seriously hosed up.

It turns out I only didn't have locals. Calling customer service fixed the problem. 1 RID unit down, 1 to go.

Guys followed instructions and get stuck here

Serial output says:

/dev/hda:
    setting standby to 1 (5 seconds)
    /dev/hdb: No such device or address

/dev/hda:
    issuing sleep command
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_intr: status=0xd0 { Busy }
    hda: DMA disabled
    hda: re-enabled DMA
    ide0: reset: master: error (0x00?)
    Could not find supported OSD hardware

-----------

Over and over....

Shouls we be using a 3.1.1c kernal or a 4.? killhdinitrd'd kernal?

ok tried a 4.0.1a killhdinitrd'd kernel and got this

Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    Service number is REMOVED.
    What is password?

Quote Originally Posted by bbsux
    Guys followed instructions and get stuck here

Serial output says:

/dev/hda:
    setting standby to 1 (5 seconds)

/dev/hda:
    issuing sleep command
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_intr: status=0xd0 { Busy }
    hda: DMA disabled
    hda: re-enabled DMA
    ide0: reset: master: error (0x00?)
    Could not find supported OSD hardware

-----------

Over and over....

Shouls we be using a 3.1.1c kernal or a 4.? killhdinitrd'd kernal?
    Ok so this aparently means my monte didn't execute right....
    I renamed the one file to vmlinux.px...

just to confirm: (make /init directory)

/test.conf
    /init/001_bash.init
    /init/010_lba48.init
    /init/011_uma6fix.init
    /init/kmonte.o
    /init/monte
    /init/vmlinux.px (rename lba48_2.4.18.px)
    /init/uma6fix.o
    /init/uma6fix_license.txt

chmod +x test.conf

then boot and copy a killhdinitrd'ed 3.1.1c kernel....

anything I missed?
    Last edited by bbsux; 11-18-2004 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    IMO using a backup image in order to migrate to 4.0 isn't really the greatest way to go about it for many reasons.
    AW--The previous suggestion was to use tivoweb to backup your SP, use MFS-FTP to backup your recording, restore the 4.0 image to your drive, apply the hacks then copy back your recordings and passes. Doesn't sound appealing if you have a lot of recordings you want to save.

You previously posted instructions on how to load slice files and install the new SW. Assuming we can find the slice files is there any reason why this won't work? Is there some file system/data base change from 3.X to 4.X that won't properly initialize if we use the slice approach?

Theres no reason it shouldn't work. I've even downgraded software versions a few times myself. The only thing you shouldn't ever do is downgrade to anything below 1.2 since they radically changed the MFS filesystem itself in 1.3

AFAICT the database configuration itself is defined in the swsystem slice, and in the first reboot after an upgrade tivoapp adjusts the database to match the new configuration no matter what was there before. I suppose it is theoretically possible that it can break something if you downgrade very far, say from 5.x to 3.x for example, but you'd maybe lose your season passes, possibly recordings, etc, certainly nothing fatal though. (I haven't tried it though so this is only a guess. The biggest downgrade I have ever done was going from 3.5.1 down to 3.1.1c and going from 5.2.1a to 5.2, I have never downgraded across major version numbers.)

Upgrading should always preserve everything and shouldn't ever have any problems though. In fact I directly upgraded my RCA-DVR40 from 3.1.1b to 5.2, and everything remained intact.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 11-18-2004 at 11:24 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

The directions are to restore a 4.X backup THEN install the killhdintrd kernel, then copy the rest of the files. You're booting before you install the killhdintrd kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsux
    Ok so this aparently means my monte didn't execute right....
    I renamed the one file to vmlinux.px...

just to confirm: (make /init directory)

/test.conf
    /init/001_bash.init
    /init/010_lba48.init
    /init/011_uma6fix.init
    /init/kmonte.o
    /init/monte
    /init/vmlinux.px (rename lba48_2.4.18.px)
    /init/uma6fix.o
    /init/uma6fix_license.txt

chmod +x test.conf

then boot and copy a killhdinitrd'ed 3.1.1c kernel....

anything I missed?
    Last edited by newbie; 11-18-2004 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    The directions are to restore a 4.X backup THEN install the killhdintrd kernel, then copy the rest of the files. Your booting before you install the killhdintrd kernel.
    No I am not...

I take my 140060 image and restore it to the drive (adding a hacked 4.1a kernel), then put it in my hdvr2 and get the drive ready (bash, hacks etc). Then I copy the files as in the instructions, (pull the drive and use a PC booting from a MFStools 2.0 boot cd) to add the 3.1.1c hacked kernel and then put it in the dvr80.

And 4.X can't boot off a 3.x kernel, as far as I know... You gotta use the 3.x kernel and chainload the 4.x hacked kernel. (am I wrong?)
    Last edited by bbsux; 11-18-2004 at 11:43 AM.

I see most of the files in the download thread have mention of what they do for UMA6 support except for the dssapp. Are there changes there that are needed for 4.x or are they secondary changes?

You seem to have tried most of the versions. What version do you suggest? I understand 3.X better supports 72.5 and 4.X allows for folders and HMO like MRV. What version did you wind up settling with? What do yu think 5.2 will do for us (or TO US).

Looks like use the old fashion install hack, comment out the reboot command and then follow the instructions on Riley's post.

NOT REALLY SURE why we're using a 3.1.1c kernel with the 4.0 software but it looks like it's only temporary. I'm not sure what is doing it but something ininit-framework must be causing some additional changes at first boot. I don't know where the command is that causes the framework software to run.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    ... The biggest downgrade I have ever done was going from 3.5.1 down to 3.1.1c and going from 5.2.1a to 5.2, I have never downgraded across major version numbers.)

Upgrading should always preserve everything and shouldn't ever have any problems though. In fact I directly upgraded my RCA-DVR40 from 3.1.1b to 5.2, and everything remained intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Juppers
    I see most of the files in the download thread have mention of what they do for UMA6 support except for the dssapp. Are there changes there that are needed for 4.x or are they secondary changes?
    that dssapp is required for rid boxes
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer