Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.x+RID - support

RC3105,

Any ideas why my unit won't boot?

Quote Originally Posted by bbsux
    No I am not...

I take my 140060 image and restore it to the drive (adding a hacked 4.1a kernel), then put it in my hdvr2 and get the drive ready (bash, hacks etc). Then I copy the files as in the instructions, (pull the drive and use a PC booting from a MFStools 2.0 boot cd) to add the 3.1.1c hacked kernel and then put it in the dvr80.

And 4.X can't boot off a 3.x kernel, as far as I know... You gotta use the 3.x kernel and chainload the 4.x hacked kernel. (am I wrong?)
    In your post you changed the order of the steps from Riley's instructions, not sure if you typed wrong or did it wrong. Riley doesn't tell us you to add a 4.1a kernal and doesn't say to put the drive back in your HDVR2 to get the drive ready, just add the rc.sysinit.author file to load your hacks.

I see you're using an HDVR2 unless your using a large HD you don't really need to follow these steps, you shouldn't need the RID stuff put the 4.X hacked kernel add your hacks and you're done.

I have no idea why they're having us boot 4.X of a 3.X kernel, I think something in the new install system is copying files around before the first boot into the tivo software.

Why don't you follow the directions exactly and see what happens?

Drives > 137gb

I followed the directions and everything worked great (expect missing local which was easy to fix).

I'm not sure however if the 3.1.1c killhdinitrd kernel I used from PTV is a LBA48 kernel.

Here's what I did.

- Used InstantCake to restore a 4.0.1b image
    - dd'd a 3.1.1.c kernel
    - copied the init framework files
    - replaced dssapp
    - clear and delete

thoughts?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    In your post you changed the order of the steps from Riley's instructions, not sure if you typed wrong or did it wrong. Riley doesn't tell us you to add a 4.1a kernal and doesn't say to put the drive back in your HDVR2 to get the drive ready, just add the rc.sysinit.author file to load your hacks.

I see you're using an HDVR2 unless your using a large HD you don't really need to follow these steps, you shouldn't need the RID stuff put the 4.X hacked kernel add your hacks and you're done.

I have no idea why they're having us boot 4.X of a 3.X kernel, I think something in the new install system is copying files around before the first boot into the tivo software.

Why don't you follow the directions exactly and see what happens?
    As I said before -- Am ONLY using my hdvr2 to get the drive ready -- installing hacks and so forth... How would I add the files unless it was hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    that dssapp is required for rid boxes
    At some time I (and I suspect others) will be using the files to hack an HDVR2 to use a large drive. At some point you might want to modify the instructions to tell us what steps, if any, should be skipped. I assume the uma6fix isn't required but does it even matter if it's included in a non RID system? It sounds like to doesn't load if it isn't needed.

It's a mystery why you have us using a 3.X killhdintrd kernel with 4.X or where the software is the runs the init files.

bbsux:

the reason to use the 3.1.1c killhdinitrd'd kernel is that it boots EVERYthing (even the hr10-250's) and works well with the "standard" 2.4.4 monte

jamie has posted a monte update (VERY cool btw) to support 2.4.18 & 2.4.20 but I haven't had time to try it out yet

if you're going to post a boot log for troubleshooting, capture everything from power on to the point where it crashes, zip the text file and attach it to a post. that should allow <whoever> to pinpoint exactly were things went awry

one note though, if you go through the prom menu at any point you might want to edit your service number out of the text file before posting

edit: you can install all these files and copy in or create the rc.sysinit.author to load bash / networking while the tivo drive is connected to a pc

I'll probably do an auto installer to run from the PTV_upgrade killhdinitrd lba48 nsts-framework iso when I have some spare time
    Last edited by rc3105; 11-18-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsux
    As I said before -- Am ONLY using my hdvr2 to get the drive ready -- installing hacks and so forth... How would I add the files unless it was hacked?
    I see Riley gave you some help. I don't understand why you don't just add AW's all in one and add your rc.sysinit author while your drive is in your PC? No reason to hack the machine twice.

If you don't have a large HD you don't really need to use this procedure and if you have a large HD I wouldn't want to boot without the monte to LBA48 that this hack does.
    Last edited by newbie; 11-18-2004 at 12:37 PM.

Riley,

I hope you have some free time, because and auto install would be super. I'm definitely going to wait on this until you get the InstantCake stuff ready.

Thanks!

I'll probably do an auto installer to run from the PTV_upgrade killhdinitrd lba48 nsts-framework iso when I have some spare time
    thank you , that will be the only way i will ever get this figured out...my printed out pages have tears on them...
    SA1 120gb Airnet
    SA1 80gb Turbonet
    SA1 40gb Virgin
    Series 2 dvr-80 RID 200gb fa120
    Series 2 TCD540040
    Series 2 TCD140060 loves wireless g router
    Series 2 DSR704B 300gb fa120
    Replay 5040 120gb
    MediaMVP
    8300hd dvr
    2 Series 2 DSR700's from weaknees
    2 HR10-250's 300gb
    Pioneer 810 h...250gb

How about some step-by-step instructions. I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable around my TiVo, yet I am stumped.

I did the InstantCake to a fresh 80mb HD , yet my S2 will not boot at all.

I suppose that in order for the S2 to boot, I need to do some stuff through the serial? (I guess it's time to start looking for my old null cable)

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    How about some step-by-step instructions. I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable around my TiVo, yet I am stumped.

I did the InstantCake to a fresh 80mb HD , yet my S2 will not boot at all.

I suppose that in order for the S2 to boot, I need to do some stuff through the serial? (I guess it's time to start looking for my old null cable)
    Put your tivo in your PC

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...18&postcount=5

Also follow the previous post in that thread and install AW's all in one files.
    Last edited by newbie; 11-18-2004 at 01:31 PM.

bbsux:

the reason to use the 3.1.1c killhdinitrd'd kernel is that it boots EVERYthing (even the hr10-250's) and works well with the "standard" 2.4.4 monte

jamie has posted a monte update (VERY cool btw) to support 2.4.18 & 2.4.20 but I haven't had time to try it out yet

if you're going to post a boot log for troubleshooting, capture everything from power on to the point where it crashes, zip the text file and attach it to a post. that should allow <whoever> to pinpoint exactly were things went awry

one note though, if you go through the prom menu at any point you might want to edit your service number out of the text file before posting

edit: you can install all these files and copy in or create the rc.sysinit.author to load bash / networking while the tivo drive is connected to a pc

Fine I tried it your way with a fresh restore and it still doesn't work...

It goes to....

Serial output says:

/dev/hda:
    setting standby to 1 (5 seconds)
    /dev/hdb: No such device or address

/dev/hda:
    issuing sleep command
    /dev/hdb: No such device or address
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_intr: status=0xd0 { Busy }
    hda: DMA disabled
    hda: re-enabled DMA
    ide0: reset: master: error (0x00?)
    Could not find supported OSD hardware

1) restore a good 4.x image to the hard drive you intend to use
    2) install a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel to the active kernel partition.
    These 2 steps are replaced by the Instant Cake, or after the Instant Cake, do I have to install something else...

When Rileys post says that instalation is pretty 'straightforward' I guess that means for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    These 2 steps are replaced by the Instant Cake, or after the Instant Cake, do I have to install something else...

When Rileys post says that instalation is pretty 'straightforward' I guess that means for him...

I'm not sure if instant cake does step 2 but you still have to do steps 3 -6 before you put your drive back in your tivo.

bbsux-- Are you jumpers set right on your HD, some drives have a jumper that's labeled single which is used if you only have one hard drive and others use the master setting. Are your cables in tight.

bbsux-- Are you jumpers set right on your HD, some drives have a jumper that's labeled single which is used if you only have one hard drive and others use the master setting. Are your cables in tight.
    Please do not treat me like a Moron. I am new at linux (fairly, I've hacked my dvr80 with killhdinitrd and hacked it) but that doesn't make me a Moron.

Why do you assume I am too stupid to check these things myself? I mean I'd have to know at least something to get as far as I did, wouldn't I?

Of course the jumper is set right and the cables are tight...

Where can I get a tar making program for win xp?

so I can put these all in one file and copy over then install ???
    Last edited by bbsux; 11-18-2004 at 01:46 PM.