Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.x+RID - support

Quote Originally Posted by jasch
    These 2 steps are replaced by the Instant Cake, or after the Instant Cake, do I have to install something else...

When Rileys post says that instalation is pretty 'straightforward' I guess that means for him...
    Jasch, if you use Instant Cake you still must install a killhdinitrd'd kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by w2kr
    Jasch, if you use Instant Cake you still must install a killhdinitrd'd kernel.
    Great. Now I need to find out how to do that. I guess after all, this was not so easy to install as Riley said. Perhaps I shouldn't have contributed $200 to the bounty after all... (btw, I am not complaining because of the donation, or the hacks, but the lack of instructions to apply them). Perhaps we will see in the near future somewhere a MFS backup that already has the hacks applied...

Quote Originally Posted by bbsux
    Please do not treat me like an Moron. I am new at linux (fairly, I've hacked my dvr80 with killinitrd and hacked it) but that doesn't make me an Moron. Of course the jumper is set right and the cables are tight...

Where can I get a tar making program for win xp?

so I can put these all in one file and copy over then install ???
    Sorry for trying to help, I had a problem with a drive that had a single setting (master but no slave) I don't remember which but either my PC or tivo would accept the jumper set as either single or master but the other required the single setting. Sometimes the same thing with cable select. I'm not an expert but from your error log it sure looked like tivo was looking for, and not finding, a secondary hard drive.

WinAce seems to work fine with tar files on the PC.

Great. Now I need to find out how to do that. I guess after all, this was not so easy to install as Riley said. Perhaps I shouldn't have contributed $200 to the bounty after all... (btw, I am not complaining because of the donation, or the hacks, but the lack of instructions to apply them). Perhaps we will see in the near future somewhere a MFS backup that already has the hacks applied...

use dd to put the killhdinitrd'd kernel into the active kernel partition.

dd if=<name of killhdinitrd'd kernel> of=<parition of active kernel> in my case it was /dev/hdc6
    Last edited by hxmiller; 11-18-2004 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    Sorry for trying to help, I had a problem with a drive that had a single setting (master but no slave) I don't remember which but either my PC or tivo would accept the jumper set as either single or master but the other required the single setting. Sometimes the same thing with cable select. I'm not an expert but from your error log it sure looked like tivo was looking for, and not finding, a secondary hard drive.

WinAce seems to work fine with tar files on the PC.
    Yes I know that you were trying to help, AND THANK YOU, but don't automatically assume everyone has no idea what they are doing... its very frustrating to be 'talked down to".

I don't see a setting to save in .tar format in win ace...

http://www.ptvupgrade.com/support/bi...0_license.html

has the kernels already killhdintrd. Use WinAce to extract the file, and then dd copy it. Given the questionable nature of p2p image files it would be nice if we could get an instant cake that included the hacks but I'm not sure tivo will allow it.

The 3.1.1c (2.4.4) kernel from the ptvupgrade CD is not LBA48, but it doesn't matter. All that kernel does is "monte" the 2.4.18 kernel which is lba48 compatible. I did the exact same thing as you and had the same problem of no locals. I did nothing about it and overnite the locals eventually were reauthorized automagically by DirecTV. I guess you only need to call if you want them back on instantly.

Other observations:
    • Some fields on the System Information screen are blank but doesn't seem to affect operation.
    • Using instantcake I discovered that parental control was activated, but fortunately the first code I guessed worked. (If you start from 0000 and work upwards you'll find it very quickly).
    • HMO is off. I guess that's another hack that needs to be applied. (Time to go read all those 4.0 posts I ignored up till now!)
    • I got a TiVO generated "mail" stating an ethernet device was found and that it would be used for calls home.
    • Channel logos are missing.
    • The audible beep on testing signal strength is now pulsing on/off instead of being steady in 3.1.1e.

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    I followed the directions and everything worked great (expect missing local which was easy to fix).

I'm not sure however if the 3.1.1c killhdinitrd kernel I used from PTV is a LBA48 kernel.

Here's what I did.

- Used InstantCake to restore a 4.0.1b image
    - dd'd a 3.1.1.c kernel
    - copied the init framework files
    - replaced dssapp
    - clear and delete

thoughts?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    bbsux:

the reason to use the 3.1.1c killhdinitrd'd kernel is that it boots EVERYthing (even the hr10-250's) and works well with the "standard" 2.4.4 monte
    Actually, there is a more important reason. The 2.5 prom in the Rid units will not recognize the signature on the 4.x kernel and gives an error 60. You must first boot with a valid kernel for the unit (3.1.1c killhdinitrd is best choice), and then you must monte to a 4.x compatible kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    edit: you can install all these files and copy in or create the rc.sysinit.author to load bash / networking while the tivo drive is connected to a pc
    Speaking of rc.sysinit.author, many of us install bash from there.

If you haven't noticed, Riley's package includes /init/001_bash.init which also loads bash. You don't want to load bash twice on the same com port. It gives really horrible results. Keystrokes go randomly to one of the two bash sessions, and you can't get anything to work.

Therefore, make sure you remove bash from your rc.sysinit or rc.sysinit.author.

If you don't have a large HD you don't really need to use this procedure and if you have a large HD I wouldn't want to boot without the monte to LBA48 that this hack does.
    You really should stick to using "monte'ing" to the kernel provided with this release regardless of whether you need LBA48.

The standard kernel for 4.x does not have rid support, and as a result the memory size and locations are not setup properly. This kernel includes the proper settings, and is critical for success.

NOT REALLY SURE why we're using a 3.1.1c kernel with the 4.0 software but it looks like it's only temporary. I'm not sure what is doing it but something ininit-framework must be causing some additional changes at first boot. I don't know where the command is that causes the framework software to run.
    My understanding of the linux boot process is that it first looks for a test.conf file in the root. If found, it executes those commands first. Subsequently, it looks for /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and executes that. (I'm going from memory right now, its possible that the rc.sysinit itself is what is looking for the test.conf file. )

Edit: Confirmed rc.sysinit looks for and executes the test.conf file before anything else. test.conf is not part of linux kernel, just a feature tivo created.

If you review the code, you will see that it steps though the init files in the /init. Keep in mind linux is keeping the directory sorted, therefore the lowest number goes first. You'll see one of those steps executes a monte, which loads the LBA 48 4.x kernel, replacing the 3.1.1c kernel you originally booted with. The replaced kernel starts the entire process over again (test.conf, rc.sysinit) and the original process by the first kernel is abandoned.

Riley: Its my recommendation to update your files to include the LBA48 kernel named as vmlinux.px in the init_framework.tgz file. It would appear to help minimize the mistakes and questions we are seeing.
    Last edited by chrised; 11-18-2004 at 07:46 PM.

Yes I know that you were trying to help, AND THANK YOU, but don't automatically assume everyone has no idea what they are doing... its very frustrating to be 'talked down to".

I don't see a setting to save in .tar format in win ace...
    Not trying to talk down to you, some computers/tivos handle single, cable select and master differently and a setting that works on some won't work on others. It sounds like tivo is looking for a non-existent second hard drive.

Win Ace (v2.6b3) has an option button when you want to create an archive, it has a drop down screen for archive type. Tar and gzip tar are two of the options.

Not sure why you need to create a tar, I use winace to extract files from a tar or iso that I need to transfer to tivo.

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    use dd to put the killhdinitrd'd kernel into the active kernel partition.

dd if=<name of killhdinitrd'd kernel> of=<parition of active kernel> in my case it was /dev/hbc6
    How do you find the active kernel partition if the drive is mounted on your PC?

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    Riley: Its my recommendation to update your files to include the LBA48 kernel named as vmlinux.px in the init_framework.tgz file. It would appear to help minimize the mistakes and questions we are seeing.
    Could you put them all in a single tar file or something so we can copy it to a fat32 drive then copy over to the tivo and un-tar it --- So everything goes where it needs to?

Could you put them all in a single tar file or something so we can copy it to a fat32 drive then copy over to the tivo and un-tar it --- So everything goes where it needs to?
    This would be really helpful. One files that extracts everything were it's supposed to go...

Use bootpage -p /dev/hdX where X is a, b, c or d depending on which cable and master/slave position your tivo drive is on.

Quote Originally Posted by w2kr
    [*] HMO is off. I guess that's another hack that needs to be applied. (Time to go read all those 4.0 posts I ignored up till now!)[*]I got a TiVO generated "mail" stating an ethernet device was found and that it would be used for calls home.[*]Channel logos are missing.[*]The audible beep on testing signal strength is now pulsing on/off instead of being steady in 3.1.1e.[/list]
    Just read all the threads in the files thread
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...11&postcount=3

You need to install the superpatch, and you probably want to install AW's utilities.

Use bootpage

bootpage -p /dev/hdc

this assumes the Tivo drive is the secondary master.

The active root is one partition down from that. In my case bootpage returned /dev/hdc7 so I used /dev/hdc6 for dd.