Thread: My Dilema @ 5:15AM

My Dilema @ 5:15AM

Here is the situation. I am trying to better my tivo. I figured Ill sit down and get it all done in one night. 10 hours later, here i am. My dilema is that I have two images available for my dsr704. One that is version 3.1.1b and one that is version 3.1.1e, neither of which is usable with killhdinitrd. I have been playing with the hdd in my pc with no luck. Using pdisk and tivopart i was able to mount it in knoppix lite. I added a rc.sysinit.author to get bash on srial hoping it wouldnt get chopped on boot up but no luck. Somehow, I need this thing to go into 3.1.1c. I dont want to have to monte it which is why I want this software version. I do have a 3.1.1c kernel but I have no idea how to add it to the hdd while it is in my pc. I have tried dding it out, then i did this:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=tivoroot7 count=262144 skip=77540417 (fill in your numbers instead of mine)
    mkdir /mnt/tivo
    mount tivoroot7 /mnt/tivo -o loop=/dev/loop3
    which i found on this thread http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37965 but when it goes to mount it tells me something about invalid blocks or something. Not sure, its powered down now. If somehow can tell me how to get that kernel onto the tivos kernel partition it would probably solve all of my problems, right? I am assuming here that even if it is 3.1.1b software the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel will still work fine. Please correct me if I am wrong. Any info would be helpful. I am going to sleep now though so I hope to hear from someone tomorrow. Thanks and love the forum.

You really should read a bit more.

Restore your 3.1.1e image to the drive and dd a killhdinitrd 3.1.1c kernel to the drive. The kernel goes in /dev/hda3 or /devhda6 (put it on both).
    Code:
     dd if=<path to 3.1.1c kernel image> of=/dev/hda3 (or 6).
    Of course, this assumes that your tivo drive is primary master.
    There's no place like ~/

Quote Originally Posted by my04accord
    Here is the situation. I am trying to better my tivo. I figured Ill sit down and get it all done in one night. 10 hours later, here i am. My dilema is that I have two images available for my dsr704. One that is version 3.1.1b and one that is version 3.1.1e, neither of which is usable with killhdinitrd. I have been playing with the hdd in my pc with no luck. Using pdisk and tivopart i was able to mount it in knoppix lite. I added a rc.sysinit.author to get bash on srial hoping it wouldnt get chopped on boot up but no luck. Somehow, I need this thing to go into 3.1.1c. I dont want to have to monte it which is why I want this software version. I do have a 3.1.1c kernel but I have no idea how to add it to the hdd while it is in my pc. I have tried dding it out, then i did this:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=tivoroot7 count=262144 skip=77540417 (fill in your numbers instead of mine)
    mkdir /mnt/tivo
    mount tivoroot7 /mnt/tivo -o loop=/dev/loop3
    which i found on this thread http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37965 but when it goes to mount it tells me something about invalid blocks or something. Not sure, its powered down now. If somehow can tell me how to get that kernel onto the tivos kernel partition it would probably solve all of my problems, right? I am assuming here that even if it is 3.1.1b software the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel will still work fine. Please correct me if I am wrong. Any info would be helpful. I am going to sleep now though so I hope to hear from someone tomorrow. Thanks and love the forum.

I'll have to echo what AhoyMatey said - read more. The process is very simple. You indicated the drive was hooked up as hdd - secondary slave. I'm also going to assume you have the 3.1.1e image on hda. I suggest you use the PTV Upgrades LBA-48 cd for this PROVIDED your drive is no greater than 137 Gigs.

1. Boot from the cd, mound the fat32 drive and restore the image:
    mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /path/to/image /dev/hdd

2. Determine the active partition:
    bootpage -p /dev/hdd

This will return a string that begins with root=/dev/hdaX. X is the root partition, and will be either 4 or 7. The kernel partition is 1 less than X, call it Y

3. Extract and copy the killhdinitrd kernel to the drive:

zcat /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz | dd of=/dev/hddY

You now have a drive with 3.1.1e and a killhdinitrd kernel. You are ready to install your hacks after you test it.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

that is just awesome. cant wait to try it out. ill post on how it goes

i am trying this on the kernel i downloaded from the files sections but it tells me it is not a valid gzip file. I tried to just dd it to the tivo last night but it gave me an error. When I get a chance i will post the error. Does anyone knows there is something wrong with these kernels?

Are you talking about the kernels from the PTV disk? If so, those kernels work fine for me. I've used both the 3.1.1c and 4.0.1a. What I ended up doing was simply copying them over to my FAT32 drive, then mounted that drive after booting from the PTV disk.

I then did:
    gzip -d vmlinux_.gz

which decompressed the file to vmlinux.pz.

I then copied the image over to my tivo kernel partition. My fat32 drive is mounted as /mnt/c, and my tivo drive is hdc

dd if=/mnt/c/vmlinux.pz of=/dev/hdc3 bs=1024

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by my04accord
    i am trying this on the kernel i downloaded from the files sections but it tells me it is not a valid gzip file. I tried to just dd it to the tivo last night but it gave me an error. When I get a chance i will post the error. Does anyone knows there is something wrong with these kernels?
    The kernels in the files section are not gziped!!! Just dd them to the kernel partition, then run killhdinitrd.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.