Thread: Should I keep HDVR2 or get a new box?

Should I keep HDVR2 or get a new box?

Hello:

Now that the RID "hack" has been released, I'm wondering - should I keep my HDVR2s?

I'm getting DTV next week, but I got the HDVR2s thinking we wouldn't reach the bounty. So, I'm thinking a newer box would be better especially since I could get them (I would get 2) under a new subscriber deal (I assuming I could, anyway).

So, what is your opinion!

TIA!

kadiir
    1 RCA DVR80 (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)
    1 Samsung SIR-4080R (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)

I see no reason to get a new box unless there's a problem with the one you bought. You won't see any difference in the way you interface with the Tivo so there's not much point in replacing a good DTivo just for the sake of replacing it with a slightly newer model. If you're concerned about the age of the unit then replace the hard drive(s) with new retail Seagates that come with 5-year warranties. I'm still running series 1 DTivos so age is not really a major problem IMHO.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I picked up a couple of 160GB Seagates for whatever I end up with. I was just thinking it might be easier (and maybe cheaper depending on how much I could sell them for on ebay) to get them with the install rather than going through any shennanigans to get them post-install (a la "Hello DTV, my receiver broke & I bought a dtivo to replace it").

That being said, I just checked ebay, and there's a liquidator dumping a ton of HDVR2s right now

kad

Thinking some more about your response, I guess what it really boils down to is whether or not I believe that the tuners work. They both boot (one goes to guided setup and the other didn't have a "clear & delete" done when I got), but I won't know if the tuners work until I get service next week.

kad