Thread: Extracting Tivo using WindowXP

Extracting Tivo using WindowXP

Hey,

is it possible to extract the ty files directly from a Tivo Drive in a USB case hooked up to a WindowsXP drive. Are there any documents availible, most of the docs i currently see don't show me how to get to the programs on the drive.

Thanks
    Pyrr

I'm not sure which model Tivo you have, but if it's anything like the Series 1s we have over here in the UK then booting windows XP up with your tivo drive attached (be it internatlly or externally) will make the drive unusable in the Tivo again....

Windows XP writes information to the drive which makes it unbootable again by the tivo...

Quote Originally Posted by pyrr
    Hey,

is it possible to extract the ty files directly from a Tivo Drive in a USB case hooked up to a WindowsXP drive. Are there any documents availible, most of the docs i currently see don't show me how to get to the programs on the drive.

Thanks
    Pyrr

My apologies, i should of been more specific. My old Tivo was a series2 Tivo had a 40 gig maxtor drive. I want to see if it's worth trying to yank the videos out or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrr
    My apologies, i should of been more specific. My old Tivo was a series2 Tivo had a 40 gig maxtor drive. I want to see if it's worth trying to yank the videos out or not.
    The second that you boot up an XP machine with your TiVo drive in it it's useless... XP tags the drives.

Just get a USB network adaptor and install it an mfs_ftp, extract directly from your TiVo.