Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unscrambling on 3.1.1c

unscrambling on 3.1.1c

I am now working on my third tivo project. This one involves killhdinitrd'ing a 3.1.1c kernel (which i have done). Setting up network drivers (which i have done). Enabling tivowebplus, mfs_ftp, telnet, fixsub, and bash (all done). Now, i am trying to understand how to deal with my scrambling problem. Its obviously not as easy as running NutKases "superpatch4all" like i did on my other Tivo running 4.0.1b. I have read a few threads:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31213
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39207

They seem to involve a few steps, like backing up my TivoApp, and killhdinitrd'ing my kernel, again? I am kind of lost here, it seems like they were talking about using these tools to unscramble video during or after extraction. While there are quite a few shows on the drive already that are scrambled, my main concern is to "record" unscrambled, so as to use the basic extraction tools i already have. Is it not that easy? Which of these procedures would be used to simply disable encrypted recordings? Or is not that simple like it is on the 4.0.1b systems? If this is actually calling for me to killhdinitrd again.....can i do that after i have ran killhdinitrd on the kernel already?
    Last edited by linda; 11-21-2004 at 01:08 AM.

You don't need to run killhdinitrd again if you already have.

Simply cp /tvbin/tivoapp /var/hack/tivoapp.patch

Then run the following at a bash prompt from the /var/hack (or whatever directory you put tivoapp.patch in):

echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.patch bs=1 seek=6495772

Then rm /tvbin/tivoapp

and

cp /var/hack/tivoapp.patch /tvbin/tivoapp

then

chmod 755 /tvbin/tivoapp

And finally reboot...

This will turn off encryption on your future recordings. Anything recorded after you run the patch will not be encrypted. Once you've recorded something after applying the patch you can run AW's ciphercheck script to verify that your recordings are not encrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazhol
    Simply cp /tvbin/tivoapp /var/hack/tivoapp.patch

Then run the following at a bash prompt from the /var/hack (or whatever directory you put tivoapp.patch in):

echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.patch bs=1 seek=6495772

Then rm /tvbin/tivoapp

and

cp /var/hack/tivoapp.patch /tvbin/tivoapp
    Key problem: You aren't saving the original file. This makes recovery from errors much more difficult.

try this instead:

mv /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.original

cp /tvbin/tivoapp.original /tvbin/tivoapp

echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=/tvbin/tivoapp bs=1 seek=6495772

Thanks for the help guys, and i can use the other method outlined in AW's post if i want to unscramble existing recordings. okay, let me give this thing a whirl.

Linda

4+0 records in
    4+0 records out

....was my result. That sounds correct right?

okay, i have successfuly stopped scrambling on the unit, checked with the script, and verified by using tivowebplus to watch the show in WMP. Now i moved on to trying to unscramble some shows on the unit. I am following AW's instructions but have come to a roadblock. Here is the instruction.......

a. Enter tivosh from the bash prompt
    b. Type "mls /Recording/NowShowingByTitle" and press return
    c. You should see a list of shows in a format like this:
    I am having two problems, first....where is "tivosh"? In my /tvbin i see "tivosh" is linked to tivoapp, but no direct /tivosh directory.

Second, when i try to run "MLS" as a command, it says command not found. I loaded AW's binaries. Are there more binaries that need to be loaded to enable this as a command? I noticed my "ls -l" command is not working either via teraterm, so maybe i need to find some more binaries that will enable these commands?

LInda, saw your post and recognized you are going through the same process i am currently. Can I ask you your steps? The reason is because I have come up against networking problems. I am unable to ping my new Hughes SD-DVR80 after following the nicely documented process that Dsmooth documented for the hr10-250, which uses Killhdinitrd, and which I understand should work on the newer Directivo's like mine running 3.1.1c. Could you look at this link real quick and tell me if I did something wrong or different from what you have done, since it appears you have a box just like mine and you have gotten further in the process? You will also notice that he provides a recommendation for managing the encryption process.

The link is http://www.imbetterthanyou.com/hr10-250/

I am hung up at step 9, you will want to refer to step 15 where tivoapp is patched.

(UPdate) Note, I am using a Linksys USB200M and thinking about going to Compusa this a.m. to get a netgear fa 120 since some say it is less prone to issues. I have done some reading on backporting and drivers but don't understand if this is incremental work I need to do in addition to the nicely documented dsmooth process I referenced above. i.e. I thought his process would have included the installation of any necessary drivers, but possibly I need to add a step to his guide for what I am doing insofar as network drivers are concerned??
    Last edited by mrshock; 11-21-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by linda
    ... first....where is "tivosh"? In my /tvbin i see "tivosh" is linked to tivoapp, but no direct /tivosh directory.
    You found it. /tvbin/tivosh. It's a program. Run it from the shell (e.g. bash# /tvbin/tivosh).
    Second, when i try to run "MLS" as a command, it says command not found. I loaded AW's binaries. Are there more binaries that need to be loaded to enable this as a command? I noticed my "ls -l" command is not working either via teraterm, so maybe i need to find some more binaries that will enable these commands?
    MLS is a tivosh command. You can't run it until you are running the tivosh interpreter.

Like you said, i think you will be better off with the FA-120 adapter. The drivers loaded in that example, are for the FA-120 i think. I started on my first project trying to follow that guide and i got really crossed up on a few instructions. Bill, NutKase, Jamie and a few othrs were nice enough to hop in and straighten me out. I currently have my .author file set up like this for my TIVO thats running 3.1.1c......

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#make rewritable
    mount -o remount,rw /

date>>/hack/log/hackinit.log

#enviornmental variables
    export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/busybox:/tvbin
    export PATH=$PATH:/tivo-bin
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export IGNOREEOF=1000
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/modules
    export TERM=xterm
    export PS1='\h:\w$ '

#Start Bash
    /bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

#load USB Drivers
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
    sleep 10

#Set IP address
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.xxx.xxx broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    sleep 10

#Start ftpd
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    /hack/tivoftpd
    sleep 10

#start mfs_ftp
    /hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl
    sleep 10

# Call the Tivo Package Manager Startup Scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tpm
    sleep 10

#start Vserver
    /hack/vserver/vserver
    sleep 10

#make read only
    mount -o remount,ro /
    of course replace the "x's" with your actual IP address.

I then loaded up the files i downloaded from post #4 in THIS thread. download the "usbobj2.4.27-20041024.tar.bz2" file from post #4 in that thread.

I then followed the directions from post #13 in THIS thread.

Keep in mind that those directions were for a 4.0.1b OS. With a 3.1.1c OS like we are working with now, replace the reference to kernel "2.4.18" in those directions with "2.4.4". Make sure you create the symlinks and everything "SHOULD" work for you. Basically, just make a backup of the drivers in your "modules" file and name it "modules.original", then copy all those drivers to a new "modules" file. Then take all the new drivers from your download and dump them into the new "modules" file. then create your symlinks. Good luck.

Now back to my scrambling issues...
    Last edited by linda; 11-21-2004 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrshock
    (UPdate) Note, I am using a Linksys USB200M and thinking about going to Compusa this a.m. to get a netgear fa 120 since some say it is less prone to issues.
    The USB200M and the FA 120 are based on the same chip (ax8817x) and are functionally identical as far as I can tell. The only reason to prefer the FA 120 is that it is less fragile. If you have a working USB200M, there is no reason to replace it unless you are concerned about the fragility issue.
    I have done some reading on backporting and drivers but don't understand if this is incremental work I need to do in addition to the nicely documented dsmooth process I referenced above. i.e. I thought his process would have included the installation of any necessary drivers, but possibly I need to add a step to his guide for what I am doing insofar as network drivers are concerned??
    That's the trouble with guides... they're out of date almost as soon as they come out. The backport drivers are relatively new.

I tried to use the "Export unscrambling" and it does not seem to work. I replaced the .export, .stream., and .terastream files in my mfs_ftp directory. Then i extracted them using mfs_ftp. When i try to convert them with TyTool, it reports that it can not find the chunks. I assume this is because its not unscrambling them when they are being extracted. Any Ideas?

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by linda
    I tried to use the "Export unscrambling" and it does not seem to work. I replaced the .export, .stream., and .terastream files in my mfs_ftp directory. Then i extracted them using mfs_ftp. When i try to convert them with TyTool, it reports that it can not find the chunks. I assume this is because its not unscrambling them when they are being extracted. Any Ideas?

Linda
    Did you play the scrambled show first and verify that the scramble keys were cached by the kernel? This was step 3 in the "Procedure - Both methods" section of the s2_unscramble README. As it says there:
    If you do not see ANY messages, either the show is already unscrambled, or the key caching is not working. Do NOT proceed until this is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Did you play the scrambled show first and verify that the scramble keys were cached by the kernel? This was step 3 in the "Procedure - Both methods" section of the s2_unscramble README. As it says there:
    Not only this, but let's back up a step. You don't mention that you are monte'ing into the custom kernel, which is required, in order to unscramble your shows using this method...
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

yes, thats where i am now....i was trying to play the show so i could cache the info, but the info is not being cached....so, this leads to my next question. I did not killhdinitrd my kernel with the "unscramble" kernel included with the utility. Only because i have already killhdinitrd'd my kernel once when i hacked the TIVO. Should i killhdinitrd again, with the "unscramble" kernel? If so, would it be the same procedure i used to killhdinitrd the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSorTivo
    Not only this, but let's back up a step. You don't mention that you are monte'ing into the custom kernel, which is required, in order to unscramble your shows using this method...
    Ahh, wait a minute. I think i see where this is going. I got into this game after the "monte" method kind of run its course, so i am unfamiliar with that. If i understand this correctly though, i need to install that "unscramble" kernel in hda6 (my current root/kernel is 4/3 respectively) then flip the boot page, then begin my precedure. Is that right? If so, i am going to have learn how the monte process work i suppose, in order to get my commands right.

Linda