Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S2 RID w/4.x No Bash or network PLEASE HELP!

S2 RID w/4.x No Bash or network PLEASE HELP!

I can not get Bash working on a DSR704 (DTivo S2 RID). I loaded 4.x image, installed killhd’ed 3.1.1c kernel, set booppage dsscon=true console=2,115200, loaded init_framework files.

Boots up fine but can not get serial bash, network, or complete final setup steps completed.

Do I need to make changes to the rc.sysinit file to get this working?

I am going though the logs I can see /001_bash.init being called. but still no bash....

In need of help Pleaseeeee, I have been going round and round for hours.

I can’t get networking or serial bash working…

Config:
    DVR704 S2 Dtivo RID / 160gb drive / linksys usb200m / Instantcake tcd240080-401b02.iso / PTV LBA48 ISO

Steps I have taken:

Install Instantcake tcd240080-401b02.iso to bake an image onto the new drive.
    Copied and decompressed the kernel 3.1.1c kernel from PTV LBA48.ISO
    to the /var directory using commands:
    cp /cdrom/s2_kernel/3_1.1c/vmlinux.gz /var/vmlinux.gz
    gunzip –d vmlinux.gz
    Checked to see what partition was active using Boopage –p /dev/hdc. 7 was the active partition.
    Moved 3.1.1.c kernel to the new drive from the /var directoy
    DD if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6
    Set bootpage prams
    Bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc

Mount partition 7 using Mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/tivo

Copied init_framework files to /mnt/tivo.
    Copied dssapp to /tvbin.
    Copied netfilter-enlable to netfilter-enable-bak and removed netfilter-enable

Install the hard drive back in tivo, rebooted, did clear and delete everything.

No bash, no network….Can not complete final setup… no record functions…

Can any body help???
    Last edited by inet22; 11-21-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Patience is a virtue...

Be patient. Hacking a TiVo and getting it working can be a trying thing.

Have you hooked up a serial cable and watched the error messages? A great thing to do would be capture the serial output and post it here so we can see what is going on. Troubleshooting in the blind is no easy task.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    Be patient. Hacking a TiVo and getting it working can be a trying thing.

Have you hooked up a serial cable and watched the error messages? A great thing to do would be capture the serial output and post it here so we can see what is going on. Troubleshooting in the blind is no easy task.
    Maybe this is part of my problem, I have serial cable hooked up and I am not getting anything, no boot info, nothing at all, just a blank screen in the terminal window.
    Last edited by inet22; 11-21-2004 at 11:15 AM.

Did you chmod the sysinit & sysinit.author? I had to go back and re-do this step, since I forgot to do it Worked fine after that.

Quote Originally Posted by montano
    Did you chmod the sysinit & sysinit.author? I had to go back and re-do this step, since I forgot to do it Worked fine after that.
    To get bash i did not think i needed to creat a sysinit.author or do anything to the sysinit, since the init_framework has 001_bash.init loading. I am wrong in my thinking?

Arrow

After hours & hours I am starting over. For anybody else who is struggling out their I will document my steps as I go, maybe this will help you out. But remember, I am a newbie..

Starting with:
    DSR704 S2 Direct Tivo RID unit
    160GB Seagate HD hard drive
    Instantcake tcd240080-401b02 ( I will put link later )
    PTV LBA48.ISO ( I will put link later )
    init_framework files (I will point to this file aera later)
    Bootpage files (I will point to this file area later)

1) Installed the 160gb HD to Secondary master on my PC. (hdc) CDROM is bootable on Primary slave (hdb) nothing else is hooked up.

2) Installed Instantcake CD booted up the pc followed onscreen prompts to bake an image on the new drive.

3)Shut PC off, restarted the pc putting in the PTV LBA48
    a) after booting the CD, I copied the 3.1.1c kernel to the /var using:
    cdrom (quick way to mount the cdrom with this disk)
    cp /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1.c/vmlinux.px.gz /var/vmlinux.px.gz
    cd /var
    gunzip –d –v vmlinux.px.gz
    umount –a

4)Made a CD called “stuff” with init_framework file, bootpage, and others ( I will add the contens of this cd later)

5) I put the Stuff cd and used the following commands:
    cdrom
    cd /cdrom/bootpage-20040921
    ./bootpage –p /dev/hdc (The result from this command on my unit was /dev/hda7)
    cd /var
    dd if=vmlinux of/dev/hdc6 ( I used hdc6 because bootpage –p returned a 7 if it returned a 4 I would have used 3)
    ./bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dssconn=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc

6) load init_framework files:
    mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/tivo
    cd /cdrom/init_framework
    cp *.* /mnt/tivo/
    cd init
    mkdir /mnt/tivo/init
    cp *.* /mnt/tivo/init
    cd /mnt/tivo/init
    chmod +x *.*
    cd ..
    cdmod +x test.conf

7) load dssapp and remove netfilter
    cd /cdrom/dssapp
    cp dssapp /mnt/tivo/tvbin/
    rm /mnt/tivo/etc/netfilter-enable

8) pulled drive from pc and installed back into tivo.

Will continue in next post once the tivo reboots
    Last edited by inet22; 11-21-2004 at 12:45 PM.

Do you know for sure that your serial cable / terminal software is setup properly?

When you first apply power, try hitting enter a couple of times. Does the boot prom messages come up (ie service number, enter password prompt)?

If not, you likely have a bad cable or your software is setup wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    Do you know for sure that your serial cable / terminal software is setup properly?

When you first apply power, try hitting enter a couple of times. Does the boot prom messages come up (ie service number, enter password prompt)?

If not, you likely have a bad cable or your software is setup wrong.
    I am tring to boot after rebuilding the whole drive and it's just sitting on the welcome. powering up... screen but I did hit enter a few times an it did give me the service id, so that I guess my cable is good but now I have to figure our what I did wrong because I am not booting.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but I feel you pain as I have been there before, I just wanted to wish you luck and I will be following your progress as this will be the next upgrade I try. Again, good luck.

HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by inet22
    cd /var
    dd if=vmlinux of/dev/hdc6 ( I used hdc6 because bootpage –p returned a 7 if it returned a 4 I would have used 3)
    ./bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dssconn=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc
    It sounds like your boot kernel is failing.

First, you have a typo above. It should be:
    dd if=vmlinux of=/dev/hdc6

When this runs, it should say something like 1+1 records copied.

Second, make sure bootpage is really saving by doing bootpage -p /dev/hdc again.

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    It sounds like your boot kernel is failing.

First, you have a typo above. It should be:
    dd if=vmlinux of=/dev/hdc6
    I haven't used this compressed kernel but I think it would be vmlinux.px. Has anyone confirmed what name it decompresses to? Is it just vmlinux or vmlinux.px? Like:

dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6

if that's what it uncompressed to.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    I haven't used this compressed kernel but I think it would be vmlinux.px. Has anyone confirmed what name it decompresses to? Is it just vmlinux or vmlinux.px? Like:

dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6

if that's what it uncompressed to.

NutKase
    It was a type in the post but not on the system. I type on the PC: dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6 the resulting message was 1+1 or something like that. bootpage -p the secound time does show the correct boot info. I re did everything again still sitting on the Welcome powering up... screen. put the orignal drive back in the tivo, and it boots up fine... What am I missing??? I had this part working before.

I was looking over the commands I think I am going to try

dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6

just to make sure it's not pull vmlinux.px from a different path.