Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S2 RID w/4.x No Bash or network PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    I haven't used this compressed kernel but I think it would be vmlinux.px. Has anyone confirmed what name it decompresses to? Is it just vmlinux or vmlinux.px? Like:

dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6

if that's what it uncompressed to.
    vmlinux = unstripped ELF object file (no px header, not bootable)
    vmlinux.px = px header with 'RPO' signature + "gutted" vmlinux + optional initrd and signature - bootable (PROM security check permitting)
    vmlinux.px.gz = gzipped version of vmlinux.px - not bootable

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    vmlinux = unstripped ELF object file (no px header, not bootable)
    vmlinux.px = px header with 'RPO' signature + "gutted" vmlinux + optional initrd and signature - bootable (PROM security check permitting)
    vmlinux.px.gz = gzipped version of vmlinux.px - not bootable
    Thank you for the insite. I am doing a gunzip -d -v vmlinux.px.gz in the /var directory and then dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc7. This results in a 1+1 in and out but I am still getting stuck at the Welcome Powering up... screen. I check verything twice now I not sure what I have missed. Any help you could offer would be great...

Ok I when back an did the whole thing over two more times just making sure I did not miss anything.Still I am stuck on the Welcome Powering up… screen. I am starting to think the Instantcake CD is not completely removing everything from the drive when I try to reimage it. I am not sure… I am just grasping at straws at this point. Anyway here is a re-post with some corrections as to what I am doing and if anyone can help I am all ears..

System:
    DSR704 S2 Direct Tivo RID unit
    160GB Seagate HD hard drive
    Instantcake tcd240080-401b02 ( I will put link here later )
    PTV LBA48.ISO ( I will put link here later )
    init_framework files (I will point to this files area in this forum later)
    Bootpage files (I will point to this files area in this forum later)

1) I Installed the 160gb HD to Secondary master on my PC. (hdc) CDROM is bootable on Primary slave (hdb) nothing else is hooked up.

2) I Installed Instantcake CD booted up the pc followed onscreen prompts to bake an image on the new drive.

3) Shut PC off, restarted the pc putting in the PTV LBA48
    3a) After booting the CD, I copied the 3.1.1c kernel to the /var.

cdrom (quick way to mount the cdrom with this disk)
    cp /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.1c/vmlinux.px.gz /var/
    cd /var
    gunzip –d –v vmlinux.px.gz
    umount /dev/hdb

4)Made a CD called “stuff” with init_framework file, bootpage, and others ( I will add the contents of this CD later)

5) I put the Stuff CD in the PC and used the following commands:
    cdrom
    cd /cdrom/bootpage-20040921
    ./bootpage –p /dev/hdc
    (The result from this command on my unit was /dev/hda7)
    cd /var
    dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6
    ( I used hdc6 because bootpage –p returned a 7 if it returned a 4 I would have used 3)
    cd /cdrom/bootpage-20040921
    ./bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dssconn=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc

6) I loaded the init_framework files:
    mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/tivo
    cd /cdrom/init_framework
    cp test.conf /mnt/tivo/
    cd init
    mkdir /mnt/tivo/init
    cp *.* /mnt/tivo/init
    cd /mnt/tivo/init
    chmod +x *.*
    cd ..
    cdmod +x test.conf

7) I loaded dssapp and remove netfilter
    cp /cdrom/dssapp/dssapp /mnt/tivo/tvbin/
    rm /mnt/tivo/etc/netfilter-enable

8) Pulled the drive from pc and installed back into tivo.

9) stuck on Welcome Powering Up…. Screen
    Last edited by inet22; 11-21-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Ok, I zero out the HD and restarted the process all over again. I got passed the Welcome screen... WOW what an issue... Now I am doing a clear and delete all and will continue documenting my steps for the next person.

9) I booted up the Tivo when into setting and did a Clear and Delete Everything. (used passcode of 0000).

Will try get bash and networking working after it's done doing a Clear & Delete.

Ok Dinner is over it's time to get back to work. I am up to step 10 and hit the same road block I had earlier today. No Bash... No Network... Tivo is waiting to make a phone call to complete the final step after a clear & delete all.

Anybody want to point me in the right direction?

I am thinking; I need to get fixsub (fakecall) running to complete the setup but no bash and nor network is still going to be a problem.

Here's what I know the cable is good; during boot if I hit the enter key is asks for a password and will not boot. If I don't hit the enter key it boots up fine but no bash. Before I did a clear and delete all, the image had networking working soon as I changed ip address I saw able to ping the tivo but, no telnet. The network adapter is good to go. So it must be me, I don't have something configured correctly. As always any help would appreciated.

dsscon=true, NOT dssconn=true. Fix that and you should at least be able to see the bootup process.

This doesn't explain to me why your serial bash isn't working. But fix that bootpage and see what happens.

Also, I don't see anything in your steps about enabling telnet.

You need to create the file (on the tivo root) /etc/rd.d/rc.sysinit.author and tell it to load telnet. Here is an example of a minimal setup. Your linix CD probably includes joe, so you can type this in by hand using that editor.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Telnet and FTP
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    dsscon=true, NOT dssconn=true. Fix that and you should at least be able to see the bootup process.

This doesn't explain to me why your serial bash isn't working. But fix that bootpage and see what happens.

Also, I don't see anything in your steps about enabling telnet.

You need to create the file (on the tivo root) /etc/rd.d/rc.sysinit.author and tell it to load telnet. Here is an example of a minimal setup. Your linix CD probably includes joe, so you can type this in by hand using that editor.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Telnet and FTP
    tivoftpd
    I completely missed dssconntypo, I looked at this ten times and i did not see it. That was big help, Thanks. I now get boot messages. I still can't get telnet to work and serial bash does appear to be working somewhat (it won't take many of my commands, missing letters as type, pausing, it's bad). In the rc.sysinit.author I do have the above commands plus I have ifconfig setting IP address info. I can not set my IP info on the Tivo it does not give me the option for network. but since I set the ip info in rc.sysinit.author I can ping the tivo. It's still sitting waiting to complete the final setup by making a phone call state. I am looking at loges now to see what i find out. any suggestions would be great.

Have you set bash to run somewhere with:

/bin/bash </dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

?

You might try to put it in your .author.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by inet22
    I still can't get telnet to work and serial bash does appear to be working somewhat (it won't take many of my commands, missing letters as type, pausing, it's bad).

any suggestions would be great.
    My experience with missing characters in the serial bash has always been the result of launching bash twice. Since the init framework starts bash, you need to make sure you don't include it in rc.sysinit.author.

My experience with missing characters in the serial bash has always been the result of launching bash twice. Since the init framework starts bash, you need to make sure you don't include it in rc.sysinit.author.
    Ah-Ha! I guess I need to get inside what this init-framework does...

Sux to have SA's... Hard to keep up.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

For the record, that is exactly what happened to me the first time around. I removed it from my rc.sysinit and left it in my .author....and it has been smooth ever since.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by linda
    For the record, that is exactly what happened to me the first time around. I removed it from my rc.sysinit and left it in my .author....and it has been smooth ever since.

Linda
    If you're running the new RID hack files the 001_bash.init file adds bash to your rc.sysinit (or at least to the boot process) automatically. Actually that's good, if your .author file is bad you can still use serial to fix it without having to pull your drives.

Okay, I'll bite! I am in a similar boat. I am trying to enable bash, telnet and FTP. I boot with the TiVo cable attached (null modem adapter in use) and I get:

boot failed reason=60
    Ram size=64
    service number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    What is password?

Does anyone know the password?

I just browsing the RID Support thread and it appears that you have you use a 3.1.1c kernel?!? Funny ... I though that defeated the purpose. Anyway, I restored a SA Stock 4.0.1b image, ran the killhdintred processes with success now I am trying to continue by enabling bash ... and I on the wrong step or the wrong track?

Quote Originally Posted by slacker9876
    Okay, I'll bite! I am in a similar boat. I am trying to enable bash, telnet and FTP. I boot with the TiVo cable attached (null modem adapter in use) and I get:

boot failed reason=60
    Ram size=64
    service number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    What is password?

Does anyone know the password?

I just browsing the RID Support thread and it appears that you have you use a 3.1.1c kernel?!? Funny ... I though that defeated the purpose. Anyway, I restored a SA Stock 4.0.1b image, ran the killhdintred processes with success now I am trying to continue by enabling bash ... and I on the wrong step or the wrong track?
    Most people reset the password to "factory" after hacking their tivo. I suspect tivo has some utility that derives passwords from the service number, so we just don't know what they are originally.

You need to follow the instructions. Booting with a 3.1.1c kernel is critical to pass the prom checks. The 3.1.1c kernel is only used long enough to get past those checks and monte into the 4.x kernel, so it doesn't "defeat the purpose".

From the error 60, I can tell you do not have a 3.1.1c kernel installed. (Reminder: that kernel must have killhdinitrd applied or the tivo will do an "emergency reinstall")

Thanks all! You guys are great! I was loading bash twice. I Knew it was getting loaded init_farmework I was watching it the log's, boy do I feel stuiped. I stop bash from loading from rc.sysinit.author and it works great now (for bash anyway).Now I just need to get telent and ftp working and I should be in good shape.

I have the ip address set in the tivo setup screen now and I can ping the tivo. I also have the rc.sysinit.author that looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

#Telnet and FTP
    tivoftpd

But still no joy... not sure why yet, I keep trying and as always any help is greatly appreciated