Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S2 RID w/4.x No Bash or network PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by inet22
    Thanks all! You guys are great! I was loading bash twice. I Knew it was getting loaded init_farmework I was watching it the log's, boy do I feel stuiped. I stop bash from loading from rc.sysinit.author and it works great now (for bash anyway).Now I just need to get telent and ftp working and I should be in good shape.

I have the ip address set in the tivo setup screen now and I can ping the tivo. I also have the rc.sysinit.author that looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

#Telnet and FTP
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd

But still no joy... not sure why yet, I keep trying and as always any help is greatly appreciated
    well, i am far from an expert (not even a novice yet ) but unless you have the "tivoftpd" executable file in the root, its not gonna work. I have mine in /hack. So that section of my .author looks like this....

Code:
    #Telnet 
    /hack/tivoftpd
    you might just have to add the "path" to the telnet file to get it to work.

Now I just need to get telent and ftp working and I should be in good shape.

But still no joy... not sure why yet, I keep trying and as always any help is greatly appreciated

Sounds like your netfilters are still enabled (default for 4.0).

Try this command from the serial bash:
    /etc/netfilter-disable

If this is the problem, that should immediately fix it and telnet/ftp start working.

then, make sure you rename netfilter-enable to prevent it from coming back the next reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by linda
    well, i am far from an expert (not even a novice yet ) but unless you have the "tivoftpd" executable file in the root, its not gonna work. I have mine in /hack. So that section of my .author looks like this....

Code:
    #Telnet 
    /hack/tivoftpd
    you might just have to add the "path" to the telnet file to get it to work.
    tnlited is located in /sbin. /sbin is normally in your path, unless something trashed the path.

tivoftpd is an application you need to install somewhere. Best bet is Alphawolf's package. Wherever you install it, you should add that to your path.

for example, add this line early in your rc.sysinit.author file:
    export PATH=$PATH:/hack

this will append the /hack directory to the existing path (assuming that is where you installed the utils).

Once that is done, there is no requirement to add a path to the tivoftpd.

ahhh, aint that nifty. Any benifit to this other than making your .author look a little cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by linda
    ahhh, aint that nifty. Any benifit to this other than making your .author look a little cleaner?
    I assume you are refering to the export path statement.

You don't have to worry about changes/updates to the path made in the earlier modules from being "dumped" by your rc.sysinit.author file.

If you were refering to leaving the path off the tivoftpd statement, the benefit to that is if you decide to relocate your "user bin" aka hack directory, you don't have to edit every line in the rc.sysinit.author file (ie just fix the path line).

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    Sounds like your netfilters are still enabled (default for 4.0).

Try this command from the serial bash:
    /etc/netfilter-disable

If this is the problem, that should immediately fix it and telnet/ftp start working.

then, make sure you rename netfilter-enable to prevent it from coming back the next reboot.
    I have /utils in my path as part of the init_framework and tivoftpd is in /utils. I did rm /etc/netfilter-enable so it would not load but I never though I would need to run netfilter-disable. But that fix it. I now have telnet access. Your answer was right on the money!!! two more steps to go HMO install and finish writing up the steps for the next person.
    netfilter

I completely missed dssconntypo, I looked at this ten times and i did not see it. That was big help, Thanks. I now get boot messages. I still can't get telnet to work and serial bash does appear to be working somewhat (it won't take many of my commands, missing letters as type, pausing, it's bad). In the rc.sysinit.author I do have the above commands plus I have ifconfig setting IP address info. I can not set my IP info on the Tivo it does not give me the option for network. but since I set the ip info in rc.sysinit.author I can ping the tivo. It's still sitting waiting to complete the final setup by making a phone call state. I am looking at loges now to see what i find out. any suggestions would be great.
    I am having similar results. I can't get any boot messages on the terminal window and bash doesn't work, but when I hit the enter key on the "Powering Up..." screen I am prompted for a password so I know my cable is working. I see the part about dssconn and "think" I have done that correctly and that looks like it took care of inet22's problems of not seeing any boot messages, but I am not as lucky. I looked for rc.sysinit.author and don't have one on hdc7 (when in my pc) and briefly scanned through rc.sysinit and didn't see reference to loading bash a second time after the framework is loaded.

Any suggestions?

Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler
    I am having similar results. I can't get any boot messages on the terminal window and bash doesn't work, but when I hit the enter key on the "Powering Up..." screen I am prompted for a password so I know my cable is working. I see the part about dssconn and "think" I have done that correctly and that looks like it took care of inet22's problems of not seeing any boot messages, but I am not as lucky. I looked for rc.sysinit.author and don't have one on hdc7 (when in my pc) and briefly scanned through rc.sysinit and didn't see reference to loading bash a second time after the framework is loaded.

Any suggestions?

Wrangler
    Here is my suggestions. If you check these items below you should be able to get it working:

First; if Bootpage -p /dev/hdc returned /dev/hdc7 then make sure you issue this command exactly, from the bootpage direrctory:

./Bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc

Second; make sure somewhere you are issuing:

/bin/bash -login</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

If you are using init_framework (this would be a set of file you download and loaded, then it is included 001_bash.init and will get loaded as part of the framework. Make sure you chmod +x all the files in the init directory if you are using framework.) If you did not install framework then you will need to create a rc.sysinit.author file in the /etc/rc.d/ directory. You can use pico, joe, vi, or whatever editor you are using. Even if you you are using framework you will still want create an rc.sysinit.author file to add the telnet & Ftp commands. The rc.sysinit.author files should some like this for telnet:

#!/bin/bash

# Start Bash – only if not loading it as part of frameworks

# start telnet

# start ftp – make sure tivoftpd is in your path
    tivoftpd

Thirdly make sure you rm /etc/netfilter-enable and from serial bash once you get it working you do a /etc/netfilter-disable

If these three steps are done you should have serial bash and telnet running. For just services messages you just need step one and maybe step two to be correct so I would look very carefully at your bootpage settings. I know because I look at them over and over an I did not see my see error it should be dsscon not dssconn like I had it.
    Last edited by inet22; 11-22-2004 at 02:21 PM.

./Bootpage –P “root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false” –C /dev/hdc
    Capitols matter in linux so it's bootpage, not Bootpage.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Here is my suggestions. If you check these items below you should be able to get it working:

First; if Bootpage -p /dev/hdc returned /dev/hdc7 then make sure you issue this command exactly, from the bootpage direrctory:

Second; make sure somewhere you are issuing:

If you are using init_framework (this would be a set of file you download and loaded, then it is included 001_bash.init and will get loaded as part of the framework. Make sure you chmod +x all the files in the init directory if you are using framework.) If you did not install framework then you will need to create a rc.sysinit.author file in the /etc/rc.d/ directory. You can use pico, joe, vi, or whatever editor you are using. Even if you you are using framework you will still want create an rc.sysinit.author file to add the telnet & Ftp commands. The rc.sysinit.author files should some like this for telnet:

#!/bin/bash

# Start Bash – only if not loading it as part of frameworks

# start telnet

# start ftp – make sure tivoftpd is in your path
    tivoftpd

Thirdly make sure you rm /etc/netfilter-enable and from serial bash once you get it working you do a /etc/netfilter-disable

If these three steps are done you should have serial bash and telnet running. For just services messages you just need step one and maybe step two to be correct so I would look very carefully at your bootpage settings. I know because I look at them over and over an I did not see my see error it should be dsscon not dssconn like I had it.

Thanks, I will try this when I get home. The one thing that I noticed you suggested that I try that I didn't was the -C parm on the bootpage command.

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler
    Thanks, I will try this when I get home. The one thing that I noticed you suggested that I try that I didn't was the -C parm on the bootpage command.
    When you run the bootpage command from your computer you need the -C pram or it will not take.

Try this run ./bootpage -p /dev/hdc it should return in your case root=/dev/hda7
    Then run the full "bootpage -P" command with -C as posted above.

Then re-run ./bootpage -p /dev/hdc and now it should report root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 or something close to that.
    Last edited by inet22; 11-22-2004 at 07:43 PM.

inet22 - So did you get it working?

HUGE

I'm also having the bash problems with 4.x+RID. As far as Powering up, double check all your cables are secure. I had a loose ribbon between my HD and MB and the tivo never got off powering up.

Thank You

Guys I have looked high and low for the bash prompt. I thank you very much for starting this thread

Thanks again
    BakedTivo

Bash not working right

Back again!

I got my bash and it kinda works.
    it doesn't want to echo all the time and its dropping letters from the command line. Any ideas. I follow the instructions in the thread to a tee!

I believe i seen something like this somewhere but I can not remember

Please look it over and tell me if it is right.

I can not send anything zmodem either. Any clues?

BakedTivo
    Last edited by The BakedTivo; 02-20-2005 at 06:59 AM. Reason: forgot something