Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: unified mfs_* tools support.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

unified mfs_* tools support.

This is a support thread for the unified mfs_* tools posted here.

placeholder for future info

Placeholder for future info.

vserver and tserver combined?

Ok, now that there is an "official" place to put support questions, I will post my question that was deleted out of the other thread.

What would be the possibility of combining vserver and tserver into one product?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    What would be the possibility of combining vserver and tserver into one product?
    I'll have to look at whether this could be done without modifying the protocol for either one. tserver serves individual disk sectors without interpretation, while tserver serves entire streams, so there is that conceptual difference.

3.3 Down, 1.8 Up

Jamie,

I installed this full set (including the patch and mfs_import which I had not installed last time). All is well, and I am now getting 3.3MB/s download, and 1.8MB/s upload to Tivo. This compares with 1.4MB/s down and about 0.5 up before moving to this mfs release (and before moving to your 2.4.27 backport drivers).

I did end up having to run the patch process on my PC under CYGWIN, which worked fine. As you said, it does not patch on the Tivo for some reason.

Thanks for more than doubling the speed of my Tivo transfers! And of course thanks to tridge, jbuehl, adh, and everyone else without whom this would not have been done.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman2
    ...I am now getting 3.3MB/s download, and 1.8MB/s upload to Tivo. This compares with 1.4MB/s down and about 0.5 up before moving to this mfs release (and before moving to your 2.4.27 backport drivers).
    Is that 3.3/1.8 megabits or megaBytes? I am importing a whole lot of shows to my S2 D-Tivo with the new mfs_import and getting a consistent 850 kiloBytes = 6.8 megabits. I don't know if that's good or bad since this is the first time I have imported much of anything.
    Last edited by jbuehl; 11-22-2004 at 07:48 PM.
    I have 4 Tivos. Is that too many?

Quote Originally Posted by jbuehl
    I am importing a whole lot of shows to my S2 D-Tivo with the new mfs_import and getting a consistent 850 megaBytes = 6.8 megabits.
    That sounds too slow. I can get over 2MByte/sec on inserts. I assume you have the usb2.4.27 backport usb2 drivers, right? What ethernet adapter are you using? It can help if you tune the tivo to a channel with no reception so it isn't capturing the live buffer to disk. This might be especially important with two tuner D-Tivo's if they are capturing both tuner outputs to live buffers.

If it's still slow, it would be useful to hear what you see with top. Does it look like mfs_import is CPU bound and eating all the time, or is something else going on?

BTW, thanks for your code contributions and S1 testing on this release!

Quote Originally Posted by jbuehl
    Is that 3.3/1.8 megabits or megaBytes? I am importing a whole lot of shows to my S2 D-Tivo with the new mfs_import and getting a consistent 850 megaBytes = 6.8 megabits. I don't know it that's good or bad since this is the first time I have imported much of anything.
    That is 3,300,000 bytes per second download speed, so to be more accurate, that is really 3.15MB/sec (using 1.05 million bytes per MB based on 1024 x 1024). Yup, this stuff is fast!!!

Hey, thanks again jbuel for supporting this effort!

Mfs_uberexport

I'm trying to use this command to export to my attached USB drive. Does anyone know the correct command syntax. When I type the command with no options it does not give a list of optional commands. I am hoping that I can export to ty file with just one FSID number. Any help appreciated. I tried the following

mfs_uberexport -o /usbdrive/test.ty XXXXXX ( FSID # )

Busybox binaries (containing "patch") for S1?

Been trying to find a Busybox binary for S1 which contains the "patch" command.

I've been unable to find anything newer than v0.48 (for S1) which doesn't contain "patch".

I did find a link in these forums to a newer version but the link no longer works.

Does anyone have a working link or ftp site please?

Alternatively if anyone can email a copy please send a PM.

Or of course a pre-patched mfs_ftp would be even better...

Quote Originally Posted by mbriody
    Been trying to find a Busybox binary for S1 which contains the "patch" command....
    I took a stab at compiling busybox 1.0 for ppc, but my ppc toolchain was missing some header files it wanted (e.g. stdint.h).

Might be easiest to install cygwin to get a working patch program.

Two TiVo's - transfer speed discrepancies

Before installing these upgrades the best I could get was around 500 - 600 kB/s. I have NOT installed the mfs_ftp patch.

Now using tytool and mfs_ftp I can download at 2.3 Mb/s on TiVo #1 and 1.7 Mb/s on TiVo #2.

For uploads using both methods I get a max of 759 kB on TiVo #1 and 603 kB/s on TiVo #2.

Direct TiVo to TiVo (fxp) transfers work at around 600 kB.

Both TiVo's are SA's and both have identical software, startup scripts and even hard drives. The faster of the two is my 'main' TiVo and has much more content on it.

The only hardware difference is that the faster of the two has a cachecard (with no RAM installed) and the other has a turbonet.

So my questions are:

1. Does the fact that TiVo #1 has a cachecard account for the difference in speed between the two or should I still be able to get > 2 Mb/s download with a turbonet?

2. Any ideas why my upload speeds haven't improved much on either machine?
    Last edited by mbriody; 12-29-2004 at 11:50 AM.

1. Does the fact that TiVo #1 has a cachecard account for the difference in speed between the two or should I still be able to get > 2 Mb/s download with a turbonet?
    I don't know much about S1 hardware, but I've seen Jafa/Nick say that the cache card has 4 times the raw hardware bandwidth of a turbonet card (wider bus, faster clock). So it might be reasonable to expect the cachecard to be faster. I know I saw at least one person with a cachecard reporting > 3MB/sec download with tserver/tytool.
    2. Any ideas why my upload speeds haven't improved much on either machine?
    You won't see much improvement in upload speed unless you install the mfs_ftp patch.

Just to be clear - are you saying that the steps of copying over the new binaries and setting up the symlink within the mfs_ftp directory will not improve upload speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    much improvement in upload speed unless you install the mfs_ftp patch.
    I have now installed cygwin and peformed the patches but one thing is confusing me.

Under cygwin I get an md5sum as follows:

2bacf6678e178438177be4a69bfffe35 *mfs_ftp.tcl

which is the same as you. But when I ftp this to the TiVo I get this:

bash-2.02# md5sum mfs_ftp.tcl
    fb5a32a3a6dcea9af33f04cd189ccd3c mfs_ftp.tcl

Any ideas why the discrepancy?

I've found upload speeds AND TiVo to Tivo transfers went to ~1.2MB/s on my UK S1s (Cachecards) from around 700KB/s - WITHOUT patching mfs_ftp.

In fact I had to throttle back insert speed to around 900K using the mfs_ftp settings to keep the interface responsive.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?