Thread: unified mfs_* tools support.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Definitely different files from mine:
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 0        0          694216 Jun 12 21:59 mfs_export
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 0        0           67672 Jun 12 22:10 mfs_import
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 0        0          698396 Jun 12 21:59 mfs_stream
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 0        0          152232 Jun 12 22:10 mfs_uberexport
    Your mfs_export and mfs_stream don't look right. These should be tiny cover scripts over mfs_uberexport. You may still be running old (pre mfs_*) broken versions of those programs.

Edit: Probably doesn't matter if you are using the "Jamie" mfs_ftp patch, because I believe I changed the tcl code to use mfs_uberexport directly rather than going through the legacy compatability cover scripts.
    Last edited by Jamie; 06-15-2006 at 02:30 PM.

OK I reinstalled everything. Is the attached does this look better?

rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 8 2003 abort.doc
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22 Jun 18 2003 abort_toggle.sh
    prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 8 2003 fifo
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 15 19:48 ftp -> mfs_ftp.tcl
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 33 Sep 15 2003 ftpf.sh
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 34 Sep 15 2003 ftpf21.sh
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 439 Dec 18 2003 license.txt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun 15 19:48 log -> port.3105.log
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 802 Jun 15 19:50 mfs_export
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 53428 Sep 13 2003 mfs_ftp.tcl
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 67672 Jun 15 19:50 mfs_import
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Jun 15 20:07 mfs_stdinsert ->
    /var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_import
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 600 Jun 15 19:50 mfs_stream
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1279 Jun 15 19:51 mfs_tarstream
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 152232 Jun 15 19:51 mfs_uberexport
    -rw-r--r-- 1 1048576 80615833 40527 Jun 15 21:13 port.3105.log
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 17625 Dec 18 2003 readme.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 16 01:17 screen.txt

I was able to d/l a complete show usinf SmartFTP.

I still have problems using etivo to d/l and encode, it still seems to get cut off after a few minutes. I will have to check with thw etivo people about that.

Thanks for the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsmd
    OK I reinstalled everything. Is the attached does this look better?
    Yes. Looks better, especially since it works now. I don't know anything about etivo, so I can't help you there, but if mfs_ftp works now, sounds like you are a step closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Your mfs_export and mfs_stream don't look right. These should be tiny cover scripts over mfs_uberexport. You may still be running old (pre mfs_*) broken versions of those programs.

Edit: Probably doesn't matter if you are using the "Jamie" mfs_ftp patch, because I believe I changed the tcl code to use mfs_uberexport directly rather than going through the legacy compatability cover scripts.
    Yes, you did (modify the tcl to use uberexport directly) and yes, I am (using your patch). Never bothered to clean the binaries up.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Jamie:

OK after some more teting here is what I have.

Using the newly installed files I am able to ftp a complete show, but there must be some corruption or something wrong because when I play the show in VLC at regular speed it just stops at about 11 minutes. If I fast forward past that point it can play the rest. Is there something wrong with the mfs transfer or is it VLC?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jjsmd
    Jamie:

OK after some more teting here is what I have.

Using the newly installed files I am able to ftp a complete show, but there must be some corruption or something wrong because when I play the show in VLC at regular speed it just stops at about 11 minutes. If I fast forward past that point it can play the rest. Is there something wrong with the mfs transfer or is it VLC?

Joe
    I'd guess the problem is vlc. Try transfering the show back to the tivo (e.g. with tivoserver). If it plays fine there, you know the show is ok and it is a problem elsewhere.

Does VLC use TyShow? (I don't use VLC.) There is/was a broken version of TyShow that barfed after a certain point...try playing with Media Player Classic. (I'm assuming you're using Windows.)
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

How do I (Can I?) use the cygwin version of mfs_uberexport to grab a show from my tivo?

I've got all my tools up on the tivo and running, and I am able to start tserver (works fine for TyTool) and vserver via telnet.

It seems like I should be able to use an ip address in some fashion as the MFS_DEVICE, but when I export //192.168.2.31 to MFS_DEVICE, I get No such host or network path.

Am I attempting to do something that I cannot do? Or is it something that I can do, but which requires more trickery (my spidey senses tell me that there ought to be a way to create a pipe across my network, but that may just be a plan9 fantasy that will not work in cygwin or tivo, maybe SMB?)?

The world cup has me over a barrel here, so I would really appreciate any help offerred.
    Last edited by falcomadol; 06-25-2006 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by falcomadol
    How do I (Can I?) use the cygwin version of mfs_uberexport to grab a show from my tivo?
    See the cygwin instructions in the files thread here. This may also be useful, but set MFS_DEVLIST to ":your-tivo-ip" rather than setting MFS_DEVICE to your disk device.

See the cygwin instructions in the files thread here. This may also be useful, but set MFS_DEVLIST to ":your-tivo-ip" rather than setting MFS_DEVICE to your disk device.
    Awesome, thank you very much.

Use of tools to extract only program information

I am looking to write a C# windows program that can be used to keep a database of all the shows you have ever recorded on your Tivo. I find myself pulling stuff off my Tivo using TyTools and then burning to a DVD. However, I wish I had more information about every show I recorded to these DVDs.

I am posting to this thread to see if I can use these tools to extract the info I need.

I have found a C# program that uses ms_ftp LIST command to get a now showing list. However, I also want to obtain the program description and well as the title info.

First off can this be accomplished using the mfs_uberexport or another mfs unified tool? I know there is a "mfs_uberexport -RX" option that generate an XML file, but not sure if this will contain the program descriptions and how I would get that info into a C# program calling it. Or how I would get this XML for all shows on the TV.

I basically envision this tool with a grid listing, sortable by any column, with an update button that connects to the Tivo and gets show info and inserts any new ones into the master database. The program will also be able to generate and XML file by series, selected items, or whole database. So you could generate an XML file to include on your mastered DVD that has specific show information.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to best accomplish this?
    DSR708 running 6.2 300 GB Seagate, networked, manually hacked

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman1013
    I am looking to write a C# windows program that can be used to keep a database of all the shows you have ever recorded on your Tivo. I find myself pulling stuff off my Tivo using TyTools and then burning to a DVD. However, I wish I had more information about every show I recorded to these DVDs.

I am posting to this thread to see if I can use these tools to extract the info I need.

I have found a C# program that uses ms_ftp LIST command to get a now showing list. However, I also want to obtain the program description and well as the title info.

First off can this be accomplished using the mfs_uberexport or another mfs unified tool? I know there is a "mfs_uberexport -RX" option that generate an XML file, but not sure if this will contain the program descriptions and how I would get that info into a C# program calling it. Or how I would get this XML for all shows on the TV.

I basically envision this tool with a grid listing, sortable by any column, with an update button that connects to the Tivo and gets show info and inserts any new ones into the master database. The program will also be able to generate and XML file by series, selected items, or whole database. So you could generate an XML file to include on your mastered DVD that has specific show information.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to best accomplish this?
    Yes, the xml includes the program info. There's also limited program information available via the NowShowing program, though not the description. It's basically the info that tytool wants.

You could access it directly via the vserver protocol. This would mean either using the mfs-utils library, or growing your own mfs/vserver-client code. The streaming tools, like TyShow opted for the grown-your-own approach, afaik. I've not tried to compile mfs-utils with anything other than cygwin/gcc on the windows platform, but it's probably doable. Honestly, the api is kind of old and crufty, IMO, particularly for accessing show attributes. Looking at generate_NowShowing.c or generate_xml.c will give you an idea what it takes.

Finally, you could write some tivosh/tcl code to extract the information you want, and have your C# program telnet to the tivo to run the tcl script. See NowShowing.tcl or mfs_ftp.tcl to get an idea how to extract show information from mfs in tcl.
    Last edited by Jamie; 06-27-2006 at 07:46 PM.

You can pull the XML information right out of mfs_ftp -- just navigate to the xml directory.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    You can pull the XML information right out of mfs_ftp -- just navigate to the xml directory.
    duh. I didn't think about that. mfs_ftp tends to be kind of slow if you have a long show list. A vserver-client is likely the most work, but the most robust and best performing solution.

duh. I didn't think about that. mfs_ftp tends to be kind of slow if you have a long show list. A vserver-client is likely the most work, but the most robust and best performing solution.
    I don't disagree -- I just mentioned it since the OP mentioned pulling the Now Showing list via mfs_ftp.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer