Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: unified mfs_* tools support.

Need additional help salvaging shows.

I have a hacked series two that crashed, mostly in the MFS, that I wish to salvage the shows from. With the help from Jamie and others I have made a lot of progress but could again use some help again.

* My system is a Series two that is hacked but still records shows scrambled.
    * It was running 9.x software at the time it died.
    * I was successful at increasing the swap partition and letting tivo relink the shows in the MFS, but the applications partition was too damaged to launch tvlauncher.
    * I used Jamie's mfs_uberexport and was able to pull all the shows off in tmf format.
    * I also was able to check what my encryption key was set to and made sure it matched my backup file.
    * I restored to a 4.10b version of software, with hacks and MFS_FTP running.
    * I checked my tivoapp file and made sure scrambling was on (as back then I had had it patched off).

So here is where I need help...

If I MFS_FTP a show in it appears in NOW SHOWING with all it's proper info but errors when I try to play it.
    * At first I checked and had scrambling turned off, so I re-patched tivoapp, made sure it's md5 checksum was correct, and tried several more times. Each time the show will not play.
    * Then I tried recording a show and it played back fine.
    * Then I yanked the drive and pulled the new show with mfs_uberexport and then put it back on with MFS_FTP, IT PLAYED FINE.
    * I also verified that my backup had restored with the identical encrytion key.

So I'm figuring that I cannot take shows that were migrated overtime to a 9.x software system and play them on a 4..01b system, but this is just a guess. But to test this I MFS_FTP'd in several shows under 4.01b, then let the system upgrade to 9.x and those shows still wouldn't play.

* If I look at the salvaged shows with a hex editor, the raw data seems similarly laid out as in a show that I just recorded.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I have missed? I'm sure it's a tivoapp problem but I'm not getting it.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Last edited by guest; 02-13-2009 at 02:34 AM.

9.x and 4.x use different MFS data structures for the encryption keys ("RecordingPartDrm" verses "CommercialSkipOffset"). You might be able to massage a 9.x encrypted recording to play on a 4.x system, but it would take work and you'd be breaking new ground.

Even without the software version difference, I'm not sure that mfs_ftp understands the new Drm data structures well enough to restore an encrypted 9.x recording, even on 9.x. That might take some work too.
    Last edited by Jamie; 02-13-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Is the tserver in mfs-utils.64.tar.bz2 different from the on in TyTool10r4 (TSERVER_Series2_MIPS folder)?
    I see people talking about a 64bit version of tserver (for S3) and was wondering if this is it.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

I will check and find out (out of town this weekend). Would it be safe to say that the shows I pulled off the hard drive are good (or as good as I'm going to get) and that hopefully at some later date I will be able to restore them?

Do you think this kludge would work to put back my shows

Jamie,

Remember when you explained why I couldn't use mfs_import to restore my shows, the ones I pulled from my 9.x series 2 using mfs_uberexport, because of the lack of the data structures on the newly restored drive (that had no recordings)? Well do you think this kludge would work...

I restore the dumped 9.x shows onto the restored 4.01b drive using mfs_ftp. The shows won't play (as you recently explained), but this would get the data structures in place correct? I let the system upgrade back to 9.x, and then I could then pull the drive yet again and then use mfs_import to re-restore the 9.x shows correctly, since I would now have the structures in place to overwite with mfs_import? Or am I grasping at straws here???

Thanks,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    The existing tools don't provide a way to do what you want to do. mfs_import will store tystream data into an already allocated tystream object (identified by fsid), but it can't allocate that object or setup the other required MFS metadata structures.

Your best bet is to insert via mfs_ftp. You might be able to insert directly on the tivo if you can dig up or construct yourself the necessary tcl code to allocate and fill in the MFS metadata structures.
    Last edited by guest; 02-17-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guest View Post
    Jamie,

Remember when you explained why I couldn't use mfs_import to restore my shows, the ones I pulled from my 9.x series 2 using mfs_uberexport, because of the lack of the data structures on the newly restored drive (that had no recordings)? Well do you think this kludge would work...

I restore the dumped 9.x shows onto the restored 4.01b drive using mfs_ftp. The shows won't play (as you recently explained), but this would get the data structures in place correct? I let the system upgrade back to 9.x, and then I could then pull the drive yet again and then use mfs_import to re-restore the 9.x shows correctly, since I would now have the structures in place to overwite with mfs_import? Or am I grasping at straws here???

Thanks,

Doug
    I don't see how that helps your current situation. If you want to proceed with your current configuration, you need to edit the Drm metadata to put it into the 4.x format (CSO). This is assuming you're following the guidelines in mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/readme.txt: same crypto chip; same DiscConfigurationKey and Drm keys moved into the appropriate CommercialSkipOffset attributes.
    Last edited by Jamie; 02-17-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Ok, I get it, I'm going to have to do some work

I don't see how that helps your current situation. If you want to proceed with your current configuration, you need to edit the Drm metadata to put it into the 4.x format (CSO). This is assuming you're following the guidelines in mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/readme.txt: same crypto chip; same DiscConfigurationKey and Drm keys moved into the appropriate CommercialSkipOffset attributes.
    I will download the latest mfs_ftp and read the readme.

Since this is the same tivo serries 2 box I started with I have the same crypto chip and have verified that my DiscConfigurationKey is the same as it was before the restore.

When I run drmcheck.tcl I get:

DRMCheck.tcl, based on CipherCheck.tcl by AlphaWolf_HK

TyStream encryption is currently disabled.

Here is the status of your current recordings:

Encrypted CSO Set ST MEKT MSKT Stream Name
    --------- ------- -- ---- ---- ------------------------------------------------
    Yes Yes what is this
    No No dougs jeans skin and shirt feb 1 2009
    No No dougs jeans skin and shirt feb 1 2009
    Yes No Lauren's Tap: Mary Poppins #2
    Yes No My Tap Dance

where the last two shows are the ones I put back on using MFS_FTP that won't play, and the first three are test recordings I made on the restored system.

I am currently running mfs_ftp version 1.2.9p

guidelines in mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/readme.txt

... This is assuming you're following the guidelines in mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/readme.txt: ...
    Jamie,

I downloaded mfs-utils from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39487

but I don't see mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/readme.txt so I am assuming I am looking in the wrong place. Where can I find these?

Thanks,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by guest View Post
    Jamie,

I downloaded mfs-utils from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39487

but I don't see mfs_ftp/scramble_utils/readme.txt so I am assuming I am looking in the wrong place. Where can I find these?
    mfs_ftp is a separate package and is not part of mfs-utils. Try looking here.

Got it, read it, where can I find info on editing the metadata?

...you need to edit the Drm metadata to put it into the 4.x format (CSO). ... and Drm keys moved into the appropriate CommercialSkipOffset attributes.
    Ok, I followed your link and read the read me. I think I am set except that I will need to edit the Drm metadata to put the shows back into CSO format (as you said). Can you point me to where I might bone up on how to do that? A search on "Drm metadata" gets me only 5 hits which don't seem to have the info I need?

Thanks again for your continued help.
    Doug

The more I think about this, the more I think the .tmf's you extracted with mfs_uberexport may not even have the required encryption keys in them. I don't think its metadata extraction has been updated since TiVo changed from ComercialSkipOffset to the new Drm data structures.

I guess I'd take a look at the settings.xml from inside of one of your tmf's to see what metadata is there. If you do see the Drm keys, then you can attempt to hand edit it into the older 4.x format. Your breaking new ground, so you'll have to spend some time to figure it out.

I can spend some time

The more I think about this, the more I think the .tmf's you extracted with mfs_uberexport may not even have the required encryption keys in them. I don't think its metadata extraction has been updated since TiVo changed from ComercialSkipOffset to the new Drm data structures.

I guess I'd take a look at the settings.xml from inside of one of your tmf's to see what metadata is there. If you do see the Drm keys, then you can attempt to hand edit it into the older 4.x format. Your breaking new ground, so you'll have to spend some time to figure it out.
    I can spend some time, but I will need some clues. When I look at the tmf file with a hex editor, how will I know when I'm looking at the Drm keys vs other data. Is their a general format and length to the various fields?

Doug

A tmf file is a tar archive. The meta data is within it and is called showing.xml. You can extract it with tar and edit it with a text editor. It;s probably best if you maintain the unix line endings.

Ok, thats a good start

A tmf file is a tar archive. The meta data is within it and is called showing.xml. You can extract it with tar and edit it with a text editor. It;s probably best if you maintain the unix line endings.
    Ok, that's a good start. I have tar and vim for the pc so I'll start poking around.

Doug

Missing Episode Title in NowShowing

I have a Directv HD Tivo. On new recordings NowShowing is getting the Title but not the EpisodeTitle. On old recordings it gets both. The EpisodeTitle must be there since TivoWebplus shows it.

Example New:

<Title>:<Star Trek: Enterprise><Day>:<Thu><Date>:<3/19><Year>:<3/19/09><Station>:<HDN><EpisodeTitle>:<><FSID>:<5124516/11><TyStream>:</5166792/5166879/5166917/5166943/5166998/5167038/5167092/5167132/5167188/5167190><TotalSize>:<4798>

but Tivoweb shows: Episode Title In a Mirror, Darkly

Example Old:

<Title>:<Star Trek: Enterprise><Day>:<Mon><Date>:<5/12><Year>:<5/12/08><Station>:<HDN><EpisodeTitle>:<Cogenitor><FSID>:<3988689/11><TyStream>:</4022193/4022299/4022506/4022665/4022716/4022726/4022749/4022753/4022757/4022764/4022767/4022775><TotalSize>:<5800>

and Tivoweb shows: Episode Title Cogenitor