Thread: HR10-250 hd backup takes forever

HR10-250 hd backup takes forever

heya, I'm trying to follow MarkZ's "Newbie guide to the Hughes HR10-250" (thread), and when I go to test my backup after step 1, the directivo does not boot.

I then tried to just perform a hard disk backup as described in the Hinsdale-howto . When I run the mfsbackup command
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb (yes I need hdb, not hdc)
    the process gets up to
    Scanning source drive. Please wait a moment.
    then runs for a few more seconds, then falls into a "disk sleep" state according to /proc/###/status.

I've tried both the MFSTools 2.0 CD with large disk support (link here), and the standard "MFSTools 2.0" CD without large disk support.

Any ideas what the heck I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance!
    -Nick

I think this is the command you need:

mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/dos/hd_tivo.bak /dev/hdb

BE sure to use the CD with LB48 support. Also, here is a complete backup guide:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...38#post2046838

HUGE

Thanks, I think I found the problem

Thanks, Huge. I think the DOS partition onto which I was going to make the backup was corrupt. I'll try again. BTW, that -6so vs -1so shouldn't make a difference, that just specifies how much compression to use.

Along the way, an interesting problem arose. I rebooted the tivo with their stock disk re-installed, so I could see what version of the kernel they had installed. Tivo told me to make a phone call right away, bla bla bla. In short, it looks like the modem is fried, and so D* is going to replace the unit for me. I'm glad I caught this problem before upgrading the disk.

The lesson: Always make backups, just in case.

-Nick

Problem solved, put the two drives on separate IDE cables

Ugh, what a mess. I found that you *must* install the disks on separate IDE cables. Weird as it is, that's what worked for me, and a bunch of others at tivocommunity.com.

My setup (all devices set to CS (Cable Select)):

primary master: Tivo original disk
    primary slave: empty
    secondary master: CD-ROM
    secondary slave: disk with a FAT32 partition

happy hacking.
    -Nick