Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct 4.01b Upgrade Necessities

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, its still up. Also there have been 44 completed downloads throughout the day, so there should be more sources than just myself, even after I bring it offline.
    Thanks, they are downloading now.. I will leave them up on mine when they get downloaded so others can get them too...

Thanks again AlphaWolf...
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

BTW, make sure you guys use emule and not ed2k. Emule has a source sharing system (among hundreds of other features) which makes it easier to find more download sources for a faster download (and probably less of a queue if it is necessary.)
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Anyone used these with success yet?

I'm trying to use this on a RCA DVR40.

I used "loadslice" to install. Everything appeared normal.

However, the new software version is not showing in SwSystem.

I can find the 9 GZ slices and the util slice in SwModule.

So, my questions:

1. Has anyone else made this work on this or a similar rid unit?

2. Any ideas what went wrong / how to fix?

3. Is the end result from the slice upgrade any different than a full image? (of course, ignoring recordings/season passes lost with the full image approach)

chrised, I used them on my sd drv40 it shows up 4.0.1b in my system info. I went from 4.0.01 to 4.0.1b. Here's how I did it.

1. winrar the gz2 and ftp the slices to /var/packages
    2. run 'dbload *.slice' use AW latest utils
    3. 'mount -o remount,rw /' then edit the /tvbin/installSw.itcl replace 'restart' in the software install section with 'exit 0'
    4. then run 'installSw.itcl 4.0.1b-01-2-240' watch to see the what the new partition is going to be hda4 or hda7
    5. 'mkdir /tivo' then 'mount /dev/hda7 /tivo' or 'mount /dev/hda4 /tivo' depending on step 4
    6. used rc3105's instructions and reapply all hacks,etc. I also had to use AW commands to copy the killhdinitrd kernel
    'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda3' or use hda6 if new partition is on hda7
    'dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3' or use hda6 if new partition is on hda7
    7. 'restart' pray,chant,cross fingers or any personal form of wishing

I want to say thanks to AW and the gang here for all of their hard work.
    also I just realized that I have been a member for a year and this is my first post I guess I really use the search button alot because I never had to post or say anything.
    Last edited by skew; 11-29-2004 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skew
    1. winrar the gz2
    FWIW bunzip2 and tar are built into busybox on the tivo.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

AW, I started to extract them with bunzip2 but it was taking to long LOL so I cheated.

Help to get back on track?

Hello. I'm trying to update my RID (SD-DVR40) S2 using AlphaWolf's slices (thanks for making those available, BTW).

Evidently, things go wrong on line 7 of loadslice. The error that I get is, "WARNING: couldn't scan startup script /tvlib/tcl/tv/tv.ini
    WARNING: eval result: can't read "env(TIVO_ROOT)": no such element in array
    can't read "Inc::TS_DEF_DBSIZE_KB
    while executing: "Database dbase#auto $Inc::TS_DEF_DBSIZE_KB"
    (file "/busybox/loadslice" line 7)

I tired to read through the load slice script, but I couldn't make sense of the error. I tried making "/tvlib/tcl/tv/tv.ini" executable, but that didn't seem to change anything. My hunch was that the script fails because of a missing environment variable.

To explain a bit, I was trying to raise my virgin 3.1.1d box to 4.0.1b, but still save my shows and settings. Thus, I decided to first hack loading a kilhdinitrc'ed 3.1.1c kernel, chaining to a plain 3.1.1c (killinitrc'd of course). That upgrade worked fine, though I don't have a USB adapters, so I verified by poking around a bit via serial bash.

Then, I loaded all of AW's slices, and from serial bash, attempted to execute "loadslice" and then the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo
    The error that I get is, "WARNING: couldn't scan startup script /tvlib/tcl/tv/tv.ini
    WARNING: eval result: can't read "env(TIVO_ROOT)": no such element in array
    before you run load slice try typing in
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    and see if that corrects your problem. I added that command to the test.conf file

Semi Success

I was able to unsleeper my "test" unit (HDVR2/4.0) and upgrade it to 4.01b however, when I try to copy over the hack files such as busybox, etc It says my root drive is full... Sure enough if I do a DF it shows as 100% used.

If I mount my old root it shows as 64% full... Is 4.01b that much bigger?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Fixed the bash_env problem, but still fails.

Thanks, RPL.

Adding the export of the environment variable quelled the warnings, but the loadslice operation still fails (Tmk Assertion Failure, FsStartFunction, line 141(), Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh<177> dies due to sig -2, cd818 ... [more hex]).

I searched around and found that this error seems to be symptomatic of script failures when using a bash_env method , but I'm using a kilhdinitrc 3.1.1c kernel monte'ed (chain-loading) a 3.1.1c killinitrc kernel--so I didn't think I was using a bash_env method?

I'm executing the loadslice command from the serial bash (as I don't yet have a USB-Ethernet adapter), could that affect it's operation? Is there more information I could provide that would be useful?

Thanks
    JB

Guys, use dbload instead of loadslice. It is already included in the latest AIO set, or you can grab it here.

JB, you need to ensure the following variables are set before running bash to avoid that error; so add the following code to your test.conf or rc.sysinit.author before calling bash:
    Code:
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    Justin

dbload and installSw.itcl

Thanks, Alphawolf.

I read that you had updated tivotools.tar to include dbload in lieu of loadslice, but I must have gotten the wrong version (as I couldn't find dbload after uncompressing). I thought I might have been confused, and I saw that loadslice ultimately called dbload, so I thought that dbload might have been shorthand for dbload.

Thanks for your post to set me straight. I went and grabbed your most recent version of tivotools.tar (and compared the dbload inside with the one you kindly linked in your post just make sure I had the latest)--that did the trick, dbload seemed to load the slices without reporting any errors.

But I'm guessing that I've still got something gummed up in my configuration/variables as the installSw.itcl fails with the same error (that loadslice exhibited--"Tmk Assertion Failure...") and rebooted.

Thanks, CompWiz.

I checked an confirmed that my /rc.sysinit.author had the following:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# env variables
    export TIVO_ROOT=

# start telnet
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

# start ftp 
    tivoftp
    Which I think indicates that these environment variables are being set before bash is started?

I've done a search through the forums on these types of problems, but I'm going to go through them again-I'm missing something here.

Thanks,
    JB

JB, if you are telnetting into your unit, you shouldn't have a problem. However you also need those variables set before you load your serial bash. I think that is run from the following file: /init/001_bash.init

I would change that file to the following
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#env variables
    export TIVO_ROOT=

#Start bash
    /bin/bash -login</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

Thanks so much

Thanks so much, CompWiz. You were dead on, and re-reading the thread, I now understand that your earlier responses were saying exactly this. *blush* I appreciate your understanding and patience (Moderator: should my previous posts be culled from this thread (as they are off-topic)?

Not to be a pest, but perhaps the error I got after getting my env vars and scripts runnning is on topic. The installSw.itcl script threw the following error:

11/27/20:09:14: .//installSw.itcl: id of /SwSystem/Active is 31978195
    11/27/20:09:14: .//installSw.itcl: id of /SwSystem/4.0.1b-01-2-240 is 19372397
    11/27/20:09:14: .//installSw.itcl: installation of SwSystem 4.0.1b-01-2-240 is not safe. skipping.
    I read through the script and it seems that this is a safety check by the script to prevent downgrades. I read on the boards earlier that the 4.0.1b version is actually a chronologically earlier version (in that it doesn't have support for the S2's encoder chips and udma6 chip). I was considering hacking the installSw.itcl script to remove this check, but is there a clearer way to accomplish this (perhaps by modifying what my currect SwSystem claims to be)?

As always, thanks
    JB