Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: unsleeper a 4.0 unit

unsleeper a 4.0 unit

I want to unsleeper my HDVR2 which is currently running 4.0-01-2-240.
    I found this thread from RC3105 which details how to unsleeper a unit:
    Sleep no more

The question I have is do I have to have a "killed" 4.0 kernel or can I use a "killed" 4.0.1a kernel?

My end goal is to upgrade both units to a non-sleeper version of 4.01b without loosing all my settings/shows using the slices that AlphaWolf put up on emule and referenced to in this post:
    Direct 4.01b Upgrade Necessities

? Am I going about this the wrong way ?
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    The question I have is do I have to have a "killed" 4.0 kernel or can I use a "killed" 4.0.1a kernel?
    You will want to use a killed 4.0.1a kernel. It is the only 4.x kernel upon which you can use killhdinitrd.
    Am I going about this the wrong way ?
    No, this would be the right way, just ensure two things:
    1) The unit boots properly using the killhdinitrded kernel.
    2) You restore the bootpage back to its proper setting (pointing to your active root, not a 3.1.U5 root).

Good luck.

For what it's worth, I tried this without pulling the drive, and it worked well. You don't even need a Linux system. As always, if you don't understand a step - ASK!

Download the DVRupgrade (formerly PTVUpgrade) LBA-48 ver 4.04 ENHANCED ISO. (http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores...48_support.cfm)

NOTE: The 4.0 (non-enhanced) image does not have the killhdinitrd kernels. If you do not wish to pay $5.00 for the enhanced version, you may be able to download the killhdinitrd utility here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36692 'virgin' kernels from the link in the files section: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38573, and follow instructions in the killhdinitrd support thread: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...t=36693&page=1.

Use UltraISO (http://www.ezbsystems.com/enindex.html) to extract the appropriate killhdinitrd kernel* from the ISO.

FTP the gziped kernel (vmlinux.px.gz)*** to the TiVo. I placed it in /var/packages directory. Telnet to that directory.

Extract the kernel with 'gzip -d vmlinux.px.gz' ***

Determine the 'true' partition set with 'bootpage -p /dev/hda'. It will report a long string that begins with 'root=/dev/hda4' or 'root=/dev/hda7'. The 'true' partition set is the opposite one. If it reports hda4, the 'true' kernel partition is /dev/hda6 and the 'true' root is /dev/hda7. If it reports hda7, the 'true' kernel partition is /dev/hda3 and the 'true' root is /dev/hda4. x is the 'true' kernel, y is the 'true' root.

Replace the present kernel 'dd if=vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdax'

Update the boot parameters 'bootpage -P "root=/dev/hday dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda'

Flip the boot kernel 'bootpage -f /dev/hda'

Reboot the TiVo.

*There are many questions about the kernel version. All 3.1.1x kernels are functionally identical. No problems will occur, you aren't missing any fixes, and your performance will not suffer** when use a 3.1.1c kernel with 3.1.1e software. Similarily, all 4.x kernels are functionally identical. Use the 4.0.1a kernel with any version of 4.x software.

Just to make this very clear, the 3.1.1c (2.4.4) kernel is used with all versions of 3.1.1x software. The 4.0.1a (2.4.18) kernel is used with all versions of 4.0.1x software. And the 3.1.5 (2.4.20) kernel is used with 6.2 and 7.x software, but you should never have to use this procedure on 6.2 or 7.x

And no, you will not see the software version change in System Information when you change the kernel. That is a string stored in the MFS database.

** Your OPPORTUNITIES might be limited unless you keep your wife's (girlfriend's, S.O.) TiVo working.

*** It has been reported that in some releases of the cd, the compressed kernel is named VMLINUX_.GZ.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 11-24-2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Try to make it id10t proof.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks, I will give it a try.
    I am building a test drive right now so I can get the process down before I do the "production" units....
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Thanks, I will give it a try.
    I am building a test drive right now so I can get the process down before I do the "production" units....
    I like the way you think.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Unsleep successfull

Got the process down to unsleeper my production units. Worked like a champ.
    Thanks.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

Successfull upgrade to 4.01b?

I was able to upgrade a sleepered test unit to 4.01b but have had some issues..

See this post:
    Hard drive full
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

I was able to upgrade a sleepered test unit to 4.01b but have had some issues..

See this post:
    Hard drive full
    BTW this was fixed... (Stupid Error)
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

TivoMaster,

Would you mind share that with us, fixing the Hard Disk Full issue.

Thank you,
    Slu3

Quote Originally Posted by slu3
    TivoMaster,

Would you mind share that with us, fixing the Hard Disk Full issue.

Thank you,
    Slu3
    See here..
    DUOH!!!!
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

I've got a TiVo that needs unsleepering. The link PlainBill posted brings me to the PTVupgrade front page and the only version of the PTVupgrade CD I can find on their site is 4.0. Will that work? Since it supports LBA48 if I go this route will I be able to restore my newly unsleepered drive to a 250 GB drive that is dying to do some TiVo service? I've been following the "4.0 on RID units" thread and had planned on going that way.

thanks,
    tk

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragn
    I've got a TiVo that needs unsleepering. The link PlainBill posted brings me to the PTVupgrade front page and the only version of the PTVupgrade CD I can find on their site is 4.0. Will that work? Since it supports LBA48 if I go this route will I be able to restore my newly unsleepered drive to a 250 GB drive that is dying to do some TiVo service? I've been following the "4.0 on RID units" thread and had planned on going that way.

thanks,
    tk
    Sorry, the PTV LBA-48 ver 4.0 (unenhanced) cd will not work. It does not have the killhdinitrd kernels. I'll note that in my post at once.

It is possible to download the appropriate kernel from the files forum, killhdinitrd it, then apply it to your drive. When time permits, I'll post an updated procedure (or I might get lucky and find the killhdinitrd kernels somewhere).

PlainBill

Found the 3.01 disc from this link in another thread.

tk

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Sorry, the PTV LBA-48 ver 4.0 (unenhanced) cd will not work. It does not have the killhdinitrd kernels. I'll note that in my post at once.

It is possible to download the appropriate kernel from the files forum, killhdinitrd it, then apply it to your drive. When time permits, I'll post an updated procedure (or I might get lucky and find the killhdinitrd kernels somewhere).

PlainBill
    I found the 3.x CD with the killhdinitrd kernels. Since my drive is > 137 GB I tried to use the 3.1.5 kill'd kernel. It wouldn't fit in my hda3 or hda6 partitions. I've searched and read, read and searched and I'm not entirely sure what I need to do to get LBA48 support on my HDVR2 running 4.x. I mfsrestore'd my 4.0 image with an LBA48 aware boot CD. The TiVo shows 218 hours, so I know that part went well. I know that I need an LBA48 aware kernel on the TiVo before it starts recording anything. That's the part I'm stuck on.

Sorry for the hijack,
    tk

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragn
    I found the 3.x CD with the killhdinitrd kernels. Since my drive is > 137 GB I tried to use the 3.1.5 kill'd kernel. It wouldn't fit in my hda3 or hda6 partitions. I've searched and read, read and searched and I'm not entirely sure what I need to do to get LBA48 support on my HDVR2 running 4.x. I mfsrestore'd my 4.0 image with an LBA48 aware boot CD. The TiVo shows 218 hours, so I know that part went well. I know that I need an LBA48 aware kernel on the TiVo before it starts recording anything. That's the part I'm stuck on.
    This thread ought to shed some light on the subject.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message