Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: folders for inserted and non-series shows

Quote Originally Posted by jbuehl
    I had thought of doing that too. Presumably you change the Title of the series object to be something else. Does the title stay changed, or does the Tivo software periodically refresh it
    with the real title?

Hmmm...good point. That might explain why some of my objects got put back, after months, to the old names. When that show came in the listings again, with the same ID's, it rechanged the series id names.

With canadian listings, although we use the Zap2it/tribune tmsid, we make our own seriesid, programid, etc.

So, I started going into the seriesID database on the machine creating slices and changing the id's there, that get used to create the slices, in essence hijacking the name and the ID for a show I want to group. Then take the old show name out completely. The first new episode of one of these shows, we create a new series id for it.

Beta 1.2 is posted

With cross-platform series linking! http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196853

Please give it a try, and leave some feedback on your results. I'm particularly interested in hearing how it works on SA to SA and SA to/from DTivo transfers.

About the series lookup by TmsId.

I had started writing my own and was about half done. I ran into some issues with converting the 10 digit decimal number to binary (overflows a longint), and in trying to solve that issue I stumbled upon code in TivoWebPlus which did exactly what I was looking for. After testing that code (and fixing a bug in their code), I was able to successfully integrate it into my patch. The search performance I measured was less than a second per lookup, so I don't see any need to try to optimize this code further.

Assuming we get some good feedback on this version, we may be ready to make it a release.

One open issue yet is whether to allow it to create a missing series. I still have that code turned off. From what I can tell on DTivo, it appears that all series information is constantly updated. (Btw, someone asked about ServerVersion on DTivo series objects. I have never found any values other than zero, so I don't think they even use that field).

In particular, I feel that inserting series objects during cross platform transfers is risky. If I use the original server id, it will be the wrong format for the destination. If we make one up, there are risks that later when Tivo sends the real one out for the series it will not match, and then you may have two folders for the same series.

When is the series object added

I extracted several shows using the unscramble kernel from 3.1.1c to a PC. I've inserted these shows onto a 4x Dtivo.

Extracting and re-inserting the already inserted shows to/from the 4.x machine didn't seem to do the trick.

I'm assuming I need to go back to the original 3.1.1c drive and re-extract/unscramble to shows for the add-on to mfs_ftp to work.

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    I extracted several shows using the unscramble kernel from 3.1.1c to a PC. I've inserted these shows onto a 4x Dtivo.

Extracting and re-inserting the already inserted shows to/from the 4.x machine didn't seem to do the trick.

I'm assuming I need to go back to the original 3.1.1c drive and re-extract/unscramble to shows for the add-on to mfs_ftp to work.
    This surprised me, as Riley has stated that the origional XML is restored when an inserted recording is extracted. I will compaire the xml on a few shows tonight.

I truely hope this works, I have a large archive of Stargate SG1 that was driving my wife nuts on 3.1.1c because it cluttered the Now Playing list (and slowed things down). I had to put them on my old S1 SA (not connected to any program source) so I could return the 200GB HD I borowed from a friend during the upgrade to store my recordings. I didn't have that much space anywhere else. So if the xml data doesn't get preserved like I thought, I will be up the creek.

the xml from a tmf/ty+ is stored to /var/mfs_ftp/cache/recfsid#.xml during insert. if that cached xml is available during extract it's used instead of what's in mfs. if var was rebuilt you might lose some details when the xml is generated from the limited info that was restored to mfs

*on a lighter note, I have XML for nearly every stargate episode and archived gateworld pages with more detailed info if you need it

XML Cache

I extracted the inserted show then I immediately reinserted onto the same Tivo. Think clearing the cache before the insert would change the results? I looked at the showing.xml of the extracted show using the normal mfs and the p1 mfs and they are the same. No series tags in the document.

I'm going add some debugging to the log to the add-in to follow the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    I extracted the inserted show then I immediately reinserted onto the same Tivo. Think clearing the cache before the insert would change the results? I looked at the showing.xml of the extracted show using the normal mfs and the p1 mfs and they are the same. No series tags in the document.

I'm going add some debugging to the log to the add-in to follow the flow.
    When working with shows that were previously inserted, most of the xml attributes were lost during the previous insert. This patch has no way to recover those attributes. It is easy to see the difference in the xml. Download the xml from the source and destination systems (from the original transfer). Open them up, and you'll see the destination xml is more than half gone.

Riley suggested that if you could get the original xml and place that in the cache before the "new" extraction, it would use that xml and not the real mfs attributes, and then the subsequent insert should work.

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    One open issue yet is whether to allow it to create a missing series. I still have that code turned off. From what I can tell on DTivo, it appears that all series information is constantly updated. (Btw, someone asked about ServerVersion on DTivo series objects. I have never found any values other than zero, so I don't think they even use that field).

In particular, I feel that inserting series objects during cross platform transfers is risky. If I use the original server id, it will be the wrong format for the destination. If we make one up, there are risks that later when Tivo sends the real one out for the series it will not match, and then you may have two folders for the same series.
    I tried manually creating a new series object for some existing shows. I used a bogus TmsId SH900000 that didn't already exist and isn't likely to in the near future. I set the ServerId to ATSH900000. For the existing shows I set the Program/TmsId to SH9000000000 and Program/Series to the new fsid.

The shows immediately showed up in a folder with the name that matched the Title of the new Series. Wierd stuff happened when I tried to play the shows, however. I played a few seconds and then after going back to "Now Playing" they disappeared. tivoweb didn't list them as deleted.

After a reboot, they were there again and are now in the new bogus folder and can be played and they don't vanish. Recordings/TmsId also lists them under the new TmsId. A MRV transfer to another Tivo results in a non-grouped show.

I don't know what changed in the reboot to fix things. I didn't capture the previous state with Jamie's dumpobj so I'll have to repeat the experiment.
    -----
    Update: The new series appears in Tms.index. As far as I can tell it's now a legitimate series as far as the tivo is concerned. I don't know when this index gets rebuilt. Presumably when there is series information in the guide data it would be. An SA gets it by making a call, but DTV guide data is probably being continuously trickled in every transport stream. Creating a new series properly would need to involve triggering the index rebuild.
    Last edited by jbuehl; 12-04-2004 at 12:31 PM.
    I have 4 Tivos. Is that too many?

Beta 1.3 is posted / My testing results

I've transferred about 100 shows DTivo 3.1.1x to DTivo 4.x. I encountered a couple of shows that gave me this error:

Code:
    12:10:09:AM - 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "{{Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer}{1964-12-06}{}{07.00 PM Wed Dec 01, 2004}{MN4}.tmf}"
    bgerror invoked with error 

" can't open object (errDbNotFound)
     "
    I traced this down to an interesting situation. This show used the TMS search to lookup the series. The TMS search returned an object ID that doesn't exist in MFS. I manually verified the TMS index data, and found that the data returned by the search was valid.

Therefore, it is my conclusion that series objects may get purged from MFS, but not from the index.

To compensate for the error, I've added a verification process. Once that code was installed, my error went away.

At the same time, I added a series create attribute to settings.tcl to make it easier to turn the feature on and off. For my few problem shows, I allowed it to create the missing series.

It will be interesting to monitor the index and see if and when the new series is added.

Anyhow, Beta 1.3 is posted http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196853

Edit: The new series was updated in the index and the old (orphaned) series was removed. My new series was created at 6:45, I checked at 8:11 and it wasn't there yet. The next time I checked was 12:42 and this time it was there. If anyone knows anything about this "update" process, I'd love to hear more about it.
    Last edited by chrised; 12-07-2004 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added info

I have not had much success with Beta 1.3. I didn't have a chance to test with earlier versions. When trying to insert recordings my TiVo reboots.

When I start a transfer the show will appear in now playing right away, in the correct group (an existing series, Stargate SG-1). On the first attempt I tried to play it while it was copying and couldn't. mfs_ftp crashed but the TiVo didn't imediately reboot. I did have to reboot it to start up mfs_ftp again. Later I transfered the show to see if it would work without the patch.

The log file didn't survive the reboot, so I can't provide more information at this time. I'll look into it later (my wife has run out of patience).

Charlie

Talking cross platform series creation works

1.3 is working great for me. I had been reliably inserting shows into existing series on a S2 D-tivo that were extracted from both another S2 D-tivo and a S1 SA using 1.2.

I edited the xml of a couple of S1 originated shows to change the series TmsId and the episode TmsId to a non-existent TmsId. I also changed both occurrences of the Title.

Code:
      <Object type="Program" id="Program">
        <IsEpisode>1</IsEpisode>
        <NetworkSource>fox</NetworkSource>
        <OriginalAirDate>12554</OriginalAirDate>
       <Object type="Series" id="Series">
         <Episodic>1</Episodic>
         <Genre>4</Genre>
         <Genre>91</Genre>
         <Genre>1000</Genre>
         <Genre>1002</Genre>
         <ServerId>16642</ServerId>
         <ServerVersion>520</ServerVersion>
         <ThumbData>268566912</ThumbData>
         <Title>The Zimpsons</Title>
         <TmsId>SH990000</TmsId>
       </Object>
        <ServerId>24055378</ServerId>
        <ServerVersion>8</ServerVersion>
        <ShowType>5</ShowType>
        <SourceType>2</SourceType>
        <Title>The Zimpsons</Title>
        <TmsId>EP9900000356</TmsId>
      </Object>
    Both shows inserted fine and were grouped under the fake series. According to the mfs_ftp log, the new series object was created during insertion of the first show, and it was found via the Series ServerID the second time. The new TmsId does appear in the index.

Everything looks right, the shows play, and nothing crashed. Nice work, Chris!

Well, it may have been the vwait tivoapp patch. I backed it out, and have things working. I had a failed recording that was causing tivoweb to crash and the tivo to reboot if I tried to play or delete it. After removing the recording from tivosh, I am reluctent to do much further testing for fear I might not be able to fix things.

Thanks for the great patch, and of course thanks to Riley for the app that made this possible to begin with.

Charlie

Beta 1.5 is posted

I ran into a new error tonight. I was transfering a couple of movies recorded back in March.

The error:
    Code:
    07:50:20:PM - SeriesGenre :: 105
    bgerror invoked with error

" commit failed (0x70003)
    The cause:
    Code:
    Series 78573/10 {
      Version        = 21
      ServerVersion  = 0
      Episodic       = 0
      Genre          = 1 369 257 105
      ThumbData      = 268566912
      Title          = {A Bug's Life}
      TmsId          = MV065381
      IndexPath      = /Database/Orphan78573
    }
    This movie, which was never transferred before, apparently had its ServerId removed from the series and consequently became an Orphan. Apparently due to some "purging" process that must have occurred sometime.

My code didn't look to see if the ServerId was missing, and that caused the error. Assigning a blank ServerId was fatal, leaving it unassigned would have worked. My fix was to "reject" creating the series if the ServerId was missing. I figured this was the safest action.

The alternative would have been to create it without the ServerId, but unless it made it into the TMS Index it wouldn't have been useful anyway.

I just transferred some movies. The Series in all my cases have a ServerId.
    Code:
    Series 355585/10 {
      Episodic       = 0
      Genre          = 1 371 32 34 37 111 116 105 375
      IndexPath      = /Server/AR001f5f2b:4:0:0
      ServerId       = AR001f5f2b
      ServerVersion  = 0
      ThumbData      = Predicted 1 149
      Title          = {Lost in Translation}
      TmsId          = MV140381
      Version        = 14
    }
    I did notice that on the tivo that recorded it, the Program has a RootServerId attribute which contains the same number 001f5f2b as the Series TmsId. This attribute is not present in the tivo that the movie was transferred to.
    Code:
    Program 325840/10 {
      Actor          = Murray|Bill Johansson|Scarlett Ribisi|Giovanni Faris|Anna Hayashi|Fumihir                                                                                                        o Lambert|Catherine
      Advisory       = 10 1 3
      ApgProgram     = 325840/11
      DescLanguage   = English
      Description    = {A middle-aged actor (Bill Murray) falls for a young woman (Scarlett Joha                                                                                                        nsson) in Tokyo.}
      Director       = Coppola|Sofia
      Genre          = 1 371 113 32 34 37 111 116 105 375
      IndexPath      = /Server/A00229600:3:1:0
      IsEpisode      = 1
      MovieRunTime   = 102
      MovieYear      = 2003
      MpaaRating     = 4
      OriginalAirDate = 12052
      RootServerId   = A001f5f2b
      Series         = 355585/-1
      ServerId       = A00229600
      ServerVersion  = 1
      Title          = {Lost in Translation}
      TmsId          = MV1403810000
      Version        = 2
    }
    I wonder if that can be used to reconstruct the ServerId of the Series. I have seen that a ServerId seems to be required when creating a Series.
    Last edited by jbuehl; 12-09-2004 at 03:15 AM.

I did notice that on the tivo that recorded it, the Program has a RootServerId attribute which contains the same number 001f5f2b as the Series TmsId. This attribute is not present in the tivo that the movie was transferred to.
    I didn't program it to include RootServerId. It certainly is possible to add.

I wonder if that can be used to reconstruct the ServerId of the Series. I have seen that a ServerId seems to be required when creating a Series.
    Its an interesting thought. From some spot checking, I didn't see consistencies. Of three programs with orphaned series, two had rootserverid and one didn't.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else understands the RootServerId's purpose, and whether this looks like a good idea.