Page 49 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool 9r18 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output...

Quote Originally Posted by TivoBlues
    Can you see what might be wrong here ?
    It fails to get the list? Ummm. It could be timing out if you have a serious ton of shows but I have had 200+shows and it has worked in the past. Right now I have about 15 on my tivo.

It could be a bad IP but if it can start the server then odds are that is not the case.

It could be something that is showing up in the stream that is unexpected and thus giving no results, but that hasn't happened in a very long time.

Try it manually. The port is 3565 on the tivo. Use telnet open it up on that port and send the command manually. The text of the list will come back and the connection will close. (If you don't know how to use telnet in that fashion then I am sorry, but you are on your to figure it out I am not up for explaining it yet again.)

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    Thats probably because the NTSC standard for DVD doesn't allow mpeg layer II audio. I agree with your final suggestion of getting new burning software but something to try is the audio transcoding option that converts mpeg layer II audio into dolby digital. The burning software should be plenty happy with the dolby digital audio.
    Yeah. I hadn't suggested it because it comes out quite a bit larger in terms of how much room is used for just the audio. But at the rates that were being listed it would still be way below that.

--jdiner

We got 'tivo:/var/tmp$ ' which is the prompt!
    tivo:/var/tmp$ /var/hack/tserver /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl
    tserver_mfs [options]
    Version: 1.2-20041117
    options:
    -n No Priority Change (Stay at higher priority...)
    -s <path> tivosh script to use instead of the default )"./NowShowing.tcl")
    -h help
    Released under the Gnu GPL v2
    Original mfs_* package by tridge at samba.org, January 2001
    Modifications by:
    adh, jamie, jbuehl, jdiner, jonbig, mbm, musclenerd, ppchacker
    and possibly others...
    Or you could try dropping the NowShowing.tcl part altogether. If you have the latest tserver (with modifications by jamie) it is larger than the previous versions because it includes the code for getting the NowShowing list.

ew

Well I deleted the NowShowing.tcl from the tivo and that didn't resolve the problem. I don't know how to manually send the command, is there a post on how to ?
    Sony T-60 - 3.1.0
    Philips DSR7000 - 6.2

Well I deleted the NowShowing.tcl from the tivo and that didn't resolve the problem. I don't know how to manually send the command, is there a post on how to ?
    Unless you got the new version of the server all you did was make it worse.

Yeah. I have posted it a number of times. Search here on the forum for the posts about it.

--jdiner

Is the manual way through port 3565 a way to trouble shoot what is going on with it or just a way to transfer without using TyTools ? I found some threads that talk about it but I don't want to use that method to transfer, if I can help it.

Can someone direct me to the latest tserver, I did try the search but didn't come across the file.
    Thanks
    Sony T-60 - 3.1.0
    Philips DSR7000 - 6.2

Is the manual way through port 3565 a way to trouble shoot what is going on with it or just a way to transfer without using TyTools ? I found some threads that talk about it but I don't want to use that method to transfer, if I can help it.

Can someone direct me to the latest tserver, I did try the search but didn't come across the file.
    Thanks
    Its a way to see whats happening when you try and retrieve nowshowing. Maybe there will be an indication why it seems to only get part of the list or time out or whatever its doing.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Ok, so I went to the Tytool Set Up FAQ page and used method 2, manual start up of the tserver and it worked, I can now see the Now Playing. So what does this mean ? Do I have something set up wrong in the TyTool client?
    Thanks
    Sony T-60 - 3.1.0
    Philips DSR7000 - 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by montyshaw
    /var/hack/tserver /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

isn't right It should be

/var/hack/tserver -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

]Monty[
    Man, I past right over your post. I just now saw it. And that did it. Thanks a lot
    Sony T-60 - 3.1.0
    Philips DSR7000 - 6.2

DVD Creator

Quote Originally Posted by jdiner
    Then it is doing something wrong or doing something else that you think is transcoding. When TyTool does what it does the output is without question DVD correct audio.
    Yes, I know. I said that. It doesn't seem to stop Creator from changing it, though. Again, I need to do some testing to better see what's going on.

You can use any tool you like to demux it and see for yourself what is in the elementary stream. It is correct.
    I said that, too. Every tool I use reports TyTool's audio to be what TyTool says it will be, unless of course transcoding is turned off, in which case it's whatever came from the TiVo.

Woah. I do believe creator is decompressing the Layer II audio into the raw PCM data that was necessary for DVDs way way way back when. That is all I can see that would cause a data rate like that for audio.
    I think you are correct. Different tools report different things, but PowerDVD, for example, reports LPCM 2.0 at 1536Kbps.

My suggestion? Get different burning software. I have found versions of nero online for sale for a pittance compared with the pain and suffering of having it re-encode, in whatever fashion, a stream just so it can burn it.
    I'll consider it. Of course this is not the latest release of Creator, either (version 6), but I'm not thrilled at the prospect of working with yet another piece of software right now. I've just assimilated over a dozen. Also, I hate to just chunk software which already cost a pretty penny (I know, I know, I'm cheap.) The really big consideration for me, however, is the reliability. I've never found a reasonable source it could not burn, and I've never found a DVD player on which the resultant DVD would not play. On the other hand, it's true the application isn't terribly flexible.

False economy. You've already spent the money on Creator but it doesn't do the job properly. IF you need a screwdriver but you bought a hammer that doesn't mean you should hammer screws just because you paid for the hammer.

Transcoding always degrades quality. That's all there is to it. Uncompressed audio is a huge waste of space.

Nero is usually available for $5 or so. Get it or one of the free burning aps.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Man, I past right over your post. I just now saw it. And that did it. Thanks a lot
    Without that line being proper there should have been a warning about not being able to load or execute the script. I wonder why there wasn't. Something might have gotten changed with the changes that Jamie has been making.

--jdiner

Without that line being proper there should have been a warning about not being able to load or execute the script. I wonder why there wasn't. Something might have gotten changed with the changes that Jamie has been making.
    I can confirm the same thing. If you're running Jamie's tserver, it will work fine with -s pointing to a .tcl script, and will work much better with no arguments at all (using the internal NowShowing), but if you omit the -s, you get no output.

-Z

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer
    Also, I hate to just chunk software which already cost a pretty penny (I know, I know, I'm cheap.) The really big consideration for me, however, is the reliability. I've never found a reasonable source it could not burn, and I've never found a DVD player on which the resultant DVD would not play. On the other hand, it's true the application isn't terribly flexible.
    Did you get burning software with your burner? Try that--it's already paid for. Mine came with Veritas Record Now! I just burn a data disc and plop the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders in it and it works fine. Same results with Nero Express 6.6.0.1.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by FredThompson
    False economy. You've already spent the money on Creator but it doesn't do the job properly.
    But it does very well indeed, except for the one issue, which is not yet demonstrated to not be more robust. I've seen lots of people on this forum and others who are reporting problesm. I've had ZERO (related to the burning software).

IF you need a screwdriver but you bought a hammer that doesn't mean you should hammer screws just because you paid for the hammer.
    False analogy. I didn't buy a hammer to do the job of a screwdriver, I bought a screwdriver. Now it turns out there are screwdrivers out there which do a better job with one aspect of the job, but that doesn't mean they perforce outperform the one I bought in every category, or especially the most important categories. It doesn't mean they don't, either, but I'm totally unwilling to trade facility for reliability.

Transcoding always degrades quality.
    'Irrelevant. SOMETHING is going to have to transcode, whether it's TyTool or the burning software. If the burning software does it no matter what, then there is no point in having TyTool do it as well, of course. If I can come up with a good solution (in my opinion, not yours, and based on all my criteria, not merely a single one of yours) which either has TyTool do it or does a better job than TyTool, then I'll switch to it.

That's all there is to it. Uncompressed audio is a huge waste of space.
    I'm well aware, thanks. Would I prefer TyTool do the transcoding? Probably. Would I prefer not to have a 1.5M audio stream when I can have a .22M or .375M (Dolby) stream? You bet. Am I willing to give up reliability and broad support for saving about 20% in space? Hell, no. I will as I said investigate. If Nero or some other software does the job as well or better in other respects and is more efficient in using media space, then I'll switch, but I'm not going to run off half cocked.