Thread: refurbished series 2

refurbished series 2

I was looking at purchasing the TCD540040, and then reading numerous threads here found it was a pain to hack. Someone suggested the refurbished series 2 that tivo.com is selling. Does anyone know the model, and its ability to be hacked? Also has anyone purchased one and hacked and/or loves it/hates it? Thanks guys I really want to get into the tivo scene, i think it will go nicely with my hacked xbox, and linux/x10 controls.

If you want to get into it without paying a bundle then check out ebay for used Tivos.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

recommend any that i might be able to pick up for under 100?

Quote Originally Posted by hakukaji
    recommend any that i might be able to pick up for under 100?
    um, the new nightlight 40 hour units are under 100 after rebate (well, slightly over due to tax). s1 units should be cheapest - they dont have usb ports on the back.

oh, and the ones that are refurbs on tivo.com have been model 240 tivos usually...40 hour units that can use the software only exploits like killhdinitrd.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

i hate being a newb, but i gotta start somewhere. Im pretty skilled in xbox mods,using linux,programming, and video encoding, so im not to worried about the hacking, i just want to make sure i can get one that it can be done on. Basically i want to be able to extract video, and stream to my xbox using ccxstream. Will that be possible on the 240? And from a couple hours of reading this forum, i see that the killhdinitrd exploit is the way to go anyway, but since I just jumped this forum today i could be wrong. thanks so far.

The refurbs available from Tivo's page are just $149... after the $100 rebate they are only $49... Not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mantene
    The refurbs available from Tivo's page are just $149... after the $100 rebate they are only $49... Not too bad.
    yeah that's what im saying, but i really want to be able to extract the video and use ccxstream.

yeah that's what im saying, but i really want to be able to extract the video and use ccxstream.
    If they are the 240's which is highly likely then you will be able to hack them to do extraction and use ccxstream.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

thanks, just what i needed to hear, im gonna grab one, and let everyone know my adventures, could prove useful for future "me's"

thanks, just what i needed to hear, im gonna grab one, and let everyone know my adventures, could prove useful for future "me's"
    It shouldn't be too eventful, other than the normal newbie learning stuff, the only thing that would be worth knowing is when the refurbished tivos start being mostly nightlight models.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)