Thread: Make high def Tivo prefer to record high def programs?

Make high def Tivo prefer to record high def programs?

Hi all. I checked the high def Tivo faq and didn't see this question, apologies if this question has been asked before...

I just got a high def DirecTivo unit and it works well, I like it very much. However, it doesn't seem to be giving high def shows any special preference over standard def shows.

Example:

It suggestion-taped a movie on HBO, I think that's channel 501, right? I know it was the main HBO channel, not one of the secondary channels like HBO2 or HBO Family. I know that the same movie was playing in high-def on HBOHD at the same exact time. Yet the player chose to tape the standard-def movie instead of the high-def one.

Is there any way for me to tell the player "if you've got a choice, always go for the high def choice"?

I'm sure it would be possible to write a script that could check scheduled suggestions on SD HBO and record HD HBO instead. Having said that, I have no idea how one would go about that, other than perhaps peeking at EndPadPlus and how it goes about checking things.

But no built-in hidden feature for it, though? I was hoping there would be something along the lines of the secret handshake for enabling the 30-second-skip, or sorting the Now Playing list. Not quite ready to begin hacking this box in earnest.

Someone else suggested that I add all the HD stations to my "Favorite Channels" list, do you think that would do any good?

maybe, not too sure about that though. I dont have an hdtivo, nor do I use suggestions so I couldn't really tell you. But good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tfabris
    It suggestion-taped a movie on HBO, I think that's channel 501, right? I know it was the main HBO channel, not one of the secondary channels like HBO2 or HBO Family. I know that the same movie was playing in high-def on HBOHD at the same exact time. Yet the player chose to tape the standard-def movie instead of the high-def one.

Is there any way for me to tell the player "if you've got a choice, always go for the high def choice"?
    Why not just remove 501 from the "Channels You Receive" list?

That's a great idea. Although if it didn't suggestion-tape HBOhd, then I'd worry that it'd suggestion-tape nothing at all if I did that.

My fear is that the thing is deliberately only suggestion-taping the standard-def shows to save disk space. Anyone know if that's the way they programmed it?

is the programming on HDHBO exactly the same as SD HBO? if so, then cheezmo is right, just remove 501 and see what happens....