Thread: Cannot expand HD

Cannot expand HD

I hope i'm not missing the obvious, but I have a 120g (seagate) drive that I backed up with mfstools (mfsbackup -Tao) and restored to a 200g (wd ). I restored it to the wd drive using (mfsrestore -s 127 -zpi)

Two things that were odd to me during the restore.

1. If I added the -x option (-xzpi) during the restore i received a restore failed: Restore drive not large enough (something to that respect)

2. After receiving that above error I just figured I could do a mfsadd -x to expand after i do the restore (minux the -x) option. But then I recieved an error about too many partitions (something like that ) when doing the mfsadd.

Both drives are working after the restore in the unit. I don't expect the wd drive to utilize the full 200g since i'm not running a lba enabled kernel, but during the boot up it does recognize the drive as 137g, but when I look at the size in tivoweb it still says the max 105 hours (understandable with the 120g drive).

If anyone needs more info cuz i was a little vague on the error msgs let me know.

From what I've learned from bsnelson, you can only expand 1 time. Which is what you did when you created the 120GB drive. The expansion added 2 partitions to the 120GB drive. Thus not allowing 2 more partitions to be created on your 200GB drive.

If you have the original image, you could use that and expand it to the 200GB drive (using 137GB's of it).
    DSR704/DVR80/DSR7000/HDVR2 | All on 4.0.1b
    Superpatch-4all/HMO/Tivotools/LBA48

Sounds right. Try restoring the original backup (from the original TiVo drive) and expand it. If you have other questions you might need to include more info. Like which TiVo and boot disks -- things like that can be important, but aren't always.

ew

Thumbs up

Thanks, if thats the problem then i guess there's really not much I can do, I wanted to backup from the 120g to save all my settings and recordings short of doing mfs_ftp copying from the old to the new.

The expansion added 2 partitions to the 120GB drive. Thus not allowing 2 more partitions to be created on your 200GB drive.
    So I can conclude that a typical tivo comes preinstalled with 14 partitions and doing an expansion utilizes the extra space by creating the 2 extra partitions and by trying to do a second expansion from an already expanded drive the partitions are already maxed out thus yielding the errors that the image won't fit on the destination drive (even tho the dest drive is bigger) or too many partitions

btw, i booted with the tiger mfstools2 boot cd.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by loop
    Thanks, if thats the problem then i guess there's really not much I can do, I wanted to backup from the 120g to save all my settings and recordings short of doing mfs_ftp copying from the old to the new.

So I can conclude that a typical tivo comes preinstalled with 14 partitions and doing an expansion utilizes the extra space by creating the 2 extra partitions and by trying to do a second expansion from an already expanded drive the partitions are already maxed out thus yielding the errors that the image won't fit on the destination drive (even tho the dest drive is bigger) or too many partitions

btw, i booted with the tiger mfstools2 boot cd.

cheers
    Not quite true. Depends what you have for equiptment. My SAS1 (Philips HDR-112) only had 12 partitions to start with (including the Apple Free Space). After expanding it has 14--still enough left for one more expansion.

ew

good point, eastwind. i was assuming dtivo, not standalone. all of the dtivos that i've seen (and that's a bunch ) have two mfs pairs from the factory. to correct the op, these pairs take partitions 10-13, leaving only three for expansion. since they come in pairs only (a media partition and an app partition), the first expansion leaves you with only one partition (16) and that's not enough for another expansion.

one thing i've toyed around with is the idea of making a backup using adh's "building mfs from scratch" thread. the good news is that it would contain only one mfs pair, but the bad news is that you'd have to do one expansion to use it on *any* drive (the mfs partition he includes is like 1gb or something). but, this would mean that if you used, say, a 160gb drive for the initial install, you'd still only be using two pairs and you could add another pair later.

maybe in my spare time (yeah, right).

ronny