Thread: Mfs backup:Monte vs Killhdinitrd

Mfs backup:Monte vs Killhdinitrd

I recal that with a monted system that it was not possible to back up the hard drive in a hacked state because only one kernel and one / would be backed up. Logic tells me that this is not the case with a system that has a killed initial ram disk. Am I wrong?
    Everything Zen;
    Everything Zen;
    I Don't Think So!

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessrogue
    I recal that with a monted system that it was not possible to back up the hard drive in a hacked state because only one kernel and one / would be backed up. Logic tells me that this is not the case with a system that has a killed initial ram disk. Am I wrong?
    Using MFSTools, you can successfully backup and restore a killhdinitrd system. MFStools will backup your active partitions, 3/4 or 6/7, and /var as well.
    Last edited by JohnSorTivo; 01-26-2005 at 06:28 PM.
    1 HR10-250, upgraded to 570 SD hours, hacked, 6.3b.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 206 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    1 HDVR2, upgraded to 168 hours, hacked, 6.2.
    tyExtract - Automated batch extraction utility
    YacMon - YAC Server log monitor for new call(s) notification via email/text message

i had previously made some changes to mfstools to allow a backup of a "classic monte" arrangement (using the extra root and kernel partitions), but with the advent of killhdinitrd, i've rescinded those changes and will encourage everyone to convert to killhdinitrd.

of course, that can get sticky because of the unnecessarily restrictive (imho) license on killhdinitrd, but the classic monte was such a hack that the license is probably worth the trouble.

ronny

Okay, so I've been away for a while and need a knowledge refresh.

I have a few T-60 units and of course one blew up. So I bought a new one on ebay. I want to copy the monted drive from an existing one for the new one. I'm aware that things will need to be done to it after, but I can handle that.

How would I do that? I know a standard msftool backup/restore won't work.

Is there a way that will?

Dennis
    Where'd Tivostuff.com go anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessrogue
    The -standard- mfs_tools will not be able to backup an "old-school" monte'd system such as that created by Sleeper's ISO.

The standard mfs_tools will have NO problem backing up a killhdinitrd'd system.

The standard mfs_tools will have NO problem backing up an inline monte (as all the files concerned are in the same root.

There you go.

I understand ronnythunder posted and then removed an edit that would work. (Yes I've been reading.) Any idea where I can locate a copy?

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dsboyce8624
    I understand ronnythunder posted and then removed an edit that would work. (Yes I've been reading.) Any idea where I can locate a copy?

Dennis
    Dennis,

You don't need all that stuff for a T60. I don't think you are monte'ing sine it wasn't necessary until the Series 2's were released.

Just use any of the usual processes (mfstools or dd via the Hinsdale guide)

Tried that, I guess your right I didn't monte these, just the newer ones.

It's failing though. "Cannot Boot Kernel"

Dennis! It's definitely been a while.

The only reason you should need to use monte or killhdinitrd is if the prom does a signature check on the kernel; these are basically little techniques to break the chain of trust. The prom on an S1 may or may not do this. The tivos that started with a 2.0 software version had a prom that didn't check the kernel signature until they were updated to 2.5 whereupon during the upgrade the prom was flashed to a new version that "featured" the signature checking.

If you ever at any point applied that old 25xtreme image to your tivo, it would actually boot to a 2.0 kernel (which was signed btw) that was built in the pre tivo initrd days, and that kernel boots to a configuration that was in the middle of a 2.5 update. This is a hacked 2.5 update though, and that hacked update would flash the prom to a version that was patched by bubbaj to disable the unnecessary memory checks as well as disable the kernel signature check (it was dubbed a fastboot prom image.)

Unless you intentionally reflash it, (or maybe upgrade from 2.0 to any newer version?) your prom should still have the signature checking disabled, and in that case you can go ahead and nuke the initrd from the kernel or even compile your own with extras (such as lba48) if you are so inclined. It's more likely that you are seeing some corruption on the hard disk or maybe even the connection to the hard disk is bad.

On the S2 units on the other hand, the prom can't be flashed in circuit (it needs a +5v charge applied to it and nobody is certain if that will fry any components connected to it) so most people resort to the monte and/or killhdinitrd tactics in order to run their hacks while very few people actually go through the process of resoldering their prom.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 03-24-2005 at 05:53 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by dsboyce8624
    Tried that, I guess your right I didn't monte these, just the newer ones.

It's failing though. "Cannot Boot Kernel"
    I HAS been a long time since I saw you areound here. Welcome back!

As a quick test, I'd copy the inactive partitions from the original drive to the target drive using the dd command, then see if the new drive will boot. This is quite quick, the partitions are small. While you're at it, compare old and new drive's partition sizes, bootpage, etc. And of course, checking the new drive in the 'donar' T60 will give a clue as to whether the problem is the drive copy or the 'new' T60.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 03-24-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I think fixn was right. The last thing I remember applying was superzaps upgrade to 3.1 from 25xtreme on the S1 units, I sleepered the S2s.

I'm going to try a different drive for holding the backup. When I put it in a different PC I get a SMART error about it. If it's something so stupid as that I now know why people shoot inanimate objects!

Now I just have to lay hands on a drive. Time to dig through the junk drawer.

Dennis

Can you say STOOPID!!!!!

This unit is new! Never had the flash done on it!

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID!

Dennis